Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

14 a side. Not ideal. IIRC it was teague that said recently that the difference in the feel of the match play at training between an 18 v 18 mp versus a 16 v 16 was quite significant. If its further reduced to 14 then the players are going to be playing a totally different style of game (lots more holes and space to run into for example- sort of like TAC ) this would IMO develop non AFL bad habits
Not ideal but the alternative is 0 a side.

Not ideal but the alternative is 0 a side.

Sure I agree. But if development of our younger players is the ultimate goal and they are being forced to play a completely different style to AFL because of the reduced numbers, then it might prove to be counter -productive

Brisbane and Richmond would be fine, most other clubs might struggle...
Brisbane are due a tough injury run would could hurt. They’ve been so used to their top tier fully available. No set backs. But now Martin (expected to go round 2 despite a PCL they should hold him back) and Zorko. They lose these kind of players no finals because they have been relying on too few. They do have a very richmond-esque list which will struggle with the key movers missing. But they could have a hawks list if they all stay fit for 2-3 years straight from here.

I could equally say similar of us if our best can stay fit. The ruck roll needs to be sorted for the future now. If pittonet makes that jump like others have done changing clubs (Jacobs, Mumford, etc...) we could be in for a beauty. He could actually turnout to be a steal.

we also have TDK that needs to get minutes too. I’d love to put him in for Casboult when he starts calling away in a year or two. Put them up against each h other at training. Winner plays.

Sure I agree. But if development of our younger players is the ultimate goal and they are being forced to play a completely different style to AFL because of the reduced numbers, then it might prove to be counter -productive
Compared to playing no footy. You’re kidding right. Better than nothing. That would develop a wrong new s**t storm of bad habits.

VFL is a completely different style to AFL.

Some version of football is better than no football.

He's not a small forward at all so not sure why you're comparing him to that category.

I'd argue from what i've seen Gibbons is actually a pretty good kick, and is able to kick off both feet which is handy.
He's not a penetrating kick, I'd put him at a max of about 40-45m, but he's a clever kick finding angles and things like that which is something not many of our guys do often. Being 2 footed obviously helps with it and again is something not many others in the team can do. SPS is the only other one I can think of, though Eddie isn't bad either but it's not as natural on the left as the other 2. I think Mick really played his best later on in the year when they started putting him on a wing or closer to the ball.

I popped down to training today. Caught a glimpse of what appeared to be match simulation, looking through gaps in green mesh. Blues vs Orange Team. Two things stood out. 1. Jack Silvagni played onball tagging Cripps. 2. The Blues had all the gun forwards so McKay, Levi, Mcg and Betts. At the other end of the group the Blues tall defenders played on Lang and some other midget I can't recall. So basically looks like the coaches want the first players to find their confidence and rhythm quick smart given the short lead time to prepare for R2. I would hazard a guess next week in any such match sim the match ups would be more competitive. Outside of these key observations the only other things I noticed were Walsh kept finding it with ease, SPS played down back, and LOB kicked a sweet goal off his left about 40m out on a 45 degree angle. Oh and believe it or not young Finbar (?) seemed to find the ball a fair bit down back for the Oranges. Think it was him, the red hair blended with the orange top quite conspicuously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done 1981

Finbar down back? Could it have been Cottrell?
Maybe they are trialling Finbar in the back-line, but I'm not sure why they would.

Yes I can't say I am totally confident it was Finbar. It was at the other end of the ground, I was peeping through mesh, it appeared to be red hair on an orange guernsey with the sun shining so quite hard to tell. But someone with red hair was getting a fair bit of it which was a fair achievement given they were playing against the first call forwards.

Yes I can't say I am totally confident it was Finbar. It was at the other end of the ground, I was peeping through mesh, it appeared to be red hair on an orange guernsey with the sun shining so quite hard to tell. But someone with red hair was getting a fair bit of it which was a fair achievement given they were playing against the first call forwards.

You'd think the height difference alone would make for an easy observation (O'Dwyer = 192cm / Cottrell = 181cm) but it just somehow doesn't show up on the field. In fact, I don't think Cottrell is 181. Looks somewhat taller than that.

I popped down to training today. Caught a glimpse of what appeared to be match simulation, looking through gaps in green mesh. Blues vs Orange Team. Two things stood out. 1. Jack Silvagni played onball tagging Cripps. 2. The Blues had all the gun forwards so McKay, Levi, Mcg and Betts. At the other end of the group the Blues tall defenders played on Lang and some other midget I can't recall. So basically looks like the coaches want the first players to find their confidence and rhythm quick smart given the short lead time to prepare for R2. I would hazard a guess next week in any such match sim the match ups would be more competitive. Outside of these key observations the only other things I noticed were Walsh kept finding it with ease, SPS played down back, and LOB kicked a sweet goal off his left about 40m out on a 45 degree angle. Oh and believe it or not young Finbar (?) seemed to find the ball a fair bit down back for the Oranges. Think it was him, the red hair blended with the orange top quite conspicuously.

Jack to run with Oliver in round 2?

Making that shift would leave McKay, Casboult, McGovern, Betts, Martin & Cuningham as the starting 6 forwards and allow for Ed to put the clamps on a Viney or Petracca.

From the Club's Facebook page - Training 3rd June ...

82331673_10158269312778334_1160627118317502464_o.jpg

101819520_10158269312973334_7673031852524830720_o.jpg

102664128_10158269312223334_6395956084774797312_o.jpg

101079131_10158269312088334_2788920782976188416_o.jpg

101981290_10158269312373334_1580008663064510464_o.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back