Training 2021/22 Preseason Thread Lessssf*ngo

Remove this Banner Ad

Goater killing LDU, Ziebell, McDonaald and Simpkin in and around the contest. Getting every 50/50 in these drills. His agility and speed is mental.

He and Powell in tandem just had their way with some of the senior players.

Powell had a Pendlebury style weave through traffic and 50m billet that had the whole ground stop and applaud.
The goat is now spewing his guts up 😂
As soon as he builds that tank of his, watch out.

Some notes:

Drill 1 ) entire squad starts in a huddle, then 4 players take turns in splitting away in opposite directions to kick and mark 30m passes in a sort of loop.

Drill 2 ) squad splits into rotating 3 groups doing:
a) light Defensive one in one contest work.
B) kneeling and hand balling off ground
C) taking a ground ball and a quick one look kick to an inside 50 target

Drill3 ) squad splits into 2 on opposite side of the ground. coast to coast drill - kick out from full back, mark abs handball run through, kick to centre half forward, handball run through, shot in goal.

Drill 4) back to cardio. Centre square run throughs in pairs. 1st set at about 60% intensity, 2nd set at 80% sprint ( TT & Perez skipping this for more leisurely jogs around boundary)

Drill 5) stoppage work - pairing off with alternate bibs. Practising the ruckman bringing the ball to ground, midfields finding a a hand ball out then a clearing kick out. Key emphasis dying to move the ball forward.
Good intensity to this one. Eddie Ford and Bon having a moment - little push/shove scrap ! Love it !

Drill 6) see drill 4 cardio again

Drill 7) short kick out to practice hitting a congested target. Defenders trying to move targets into difficult positions or guard space.

Drill8) sort of a 3/4 field , open space ball movement looking for targets, whilst defender bibs guard space. If the ball hits the ground or a turnover then play stops and rotate roles taking turns defending or attacking.

And that all I had time for …. Xmas party lunch season starts today !!

Last edited:
Some notes:

Drill 1 ) entire squad starts in a huddle, then 4 players take turns in splitting away in opposite directions to kick and mark 30m passes in a sort of loop.

Drill3 ) squad splits into 2 on opposite side of the ground. coast to coast drill - kick out from full back, mark abs handball run through, kick to centre half forward, handball run through, shot in goal.

Drill 4) back to cardio. Centre square run throughs in pairs. 1st set at about 60% intensity, 2nd set at 80% sprint ( TT & Perez skipping this for more leisurely jogs around boundary)

Drill 5) stoppage work - pairing off with alternate bibs. Practising the ruckman bringing the ball to ground, midfields finding a a hand ball out then a clearing kick out. Key emphasis dying to move the ball forward.
Good intensity to this one. Eddie Ford and Bon having a moment - little push/shove scrap ! Love it !

Drill 7) short kick out to practice hitting a congested target. Defenders trying to move targets into difficult positions or guard space.

Drill8) sort of a 3/4 field , open space ball movement looking for targets, whilst defender bibs guard space. Players then rotate roles taking turns defending or attacking.

And that all I had time for …. Xmas party much season starts today !!
Very good report, keep it up.

Some notes:

Drill8) sort of a 3/4 field , open space ball movement looking for targets, whilst defender bibs guard space. Players then rotate roles taking turns defending or attacking.

And that all I had time for …. Xmas party much season starts today !!

" GET BACK TO TRAINING ! NOW " !

Alright, I spent about an hour down there.

Perez and P.Walker were put through the ringer by the S&C staff

Tarryn trained in some ball work for about 10 minutes then spent the next 45 mins running laps.

Jy did about half the drills then spent the rest of the time running 400's with Bonar and Curtis. Not sure if he had offseason surgery or anything?

Noble is a very hard task master.

A few thoughts:

JHF - Just looks ready to go. Wouldn't say he's the hardest trainer in the world, just go's at his pace, cruises around. Very unassuming sometimes. He looks a touch taller than Simpkin onfield, to give you an idea, but looks as big as someone like LDU already. Disposal was excellent, didn't seem too distressed with some of the heavy running, was good in the contested drills and a bit of match sim half ground crumbling drills. Got laid out by Lachie Young in one drill which took him by surprise and the coaches were all urging him to "get up" as quickly as possible. Definitely no cotton wool or favouritism with him.

Goater - Just wow. I'll preface it by saying he has a LONG way to go with his endurance. He was noticeably gassed after some of the contested drills and spewed his guts up in one of the non stop murderball handball drills. He however makes the hard look effortless, his agility and speed off the mark is as good as anyone we've had possibly had, ever. He just glides across the ground. It's one thing to see it on some highlights against NAB League players, but some very good young AFL mids just couldn't get a glove on him around the contest. He has a midfielders football brain, he knows where to get repeat possessions and knows how to get on the end of plays. He probably had the most touches in that match sim style drill. He jumps out with everything he does, when he intercepts in the contest, he's jumped much higher than the person disposing of it thought he could reach, and brings it down in his one hand. Very Koutoufides/Brennan/Fyfe like. Looks an absolute draft robbery to me.

Curtis - Spent about 20% in the drills then the rest running 400's. He looks like a kid that's just rolled in from local footy, was battling with the running. Check back in in March instead of week one would be my suggestion.

Bergman - Yeah, he's the JYD's even skinnier long lost son. Check back in 23/24. He didn't shirk the contest in the contested stuff though, but he's physically miles off.

McGuiness - You have to back the coaching staff, but he's still very slight. Looks like Cam Delaney in year 1 or 2. Reserve judgement for the VFL games at CHB.

CCJ - Was very involved in the match sim and contested stuff. Just looks like a general upgrade on X in every department.

Spicer - Looks to have come on quite a bit, doesn't look like a fresh draftee but a guy that's going to be on the cusp of selection most weeks imo.

Powell/Phillips - Trained freely and both looks fitter and stronger. I previously mentioned a standout play from Powell in the contested stuff that the ground stopped and appluded.

JHF will play Rnd 1 and I can see Goater playing quite a few games as the sub given his endurance but "burst" potential in any position.

Fwiw everytime there's a regime change there's a whiff of "look what they're doing now" in a kind of looking down tone to the previous regime.

I spoke to Shannon Watt after Laidley took over and we discussed the shift from Pagan's power focus to endurance - in a sense of "this is where the game is going".

When Scott took over it was how science based the approach was now compared to the old school Laidley era.

Shaw takes over and its all about how strict training is now, clocks and everything. Spoke to a high up at the season launch and there was a big "just wait and see, it's all different now" as if we were running a kindergarten under Scott.

Now under a new fitness regimen we're supposedly running more and running harder.

Not meaning to rubbish any reports. No doubt there's been tweaks. But having watched a fair share of preseason training sessions under multiple coaches, we always look like we're training long and hard (settle down TT) during the summer months. It's an AFL wide meme in fact.

No matter how hard blokes look like they're going now odds are the squads looked to go at the same intensity 5 years ago, 10 years ago etc.

Fwiw everytime there's a regime change there's a whiff of "look what they're doing now" in a kind of looking down tone to the previous regime.

I spoke to Shannon Watt after Laidley took over and we discussed the shift from Pagan's power focus to endurance - in a sense of "this is where the game is going".

When Scott took over it was how science based the approach was now compared to the old school Laidley era.

Shaw takes over and its all about how strict training is now, clocks and everything. Spoke to a high up at the season launch and there was a big "just wait and see, it's all different now" as if we were running a kindergarten under Scott.

Now under a new fitness regimen we're supposedly running more and running harder.

Not meaning to rubbish any reports. No doubt there's been tweaks. But having watched a fair share of preseason training sessions under multiple coaches, we always look like we're training long and hard (settle down TT) during the summer months. It's an AFL wide meme in fact.

No matter how hard blokes look like they're going now odds are the squads looked to go at the same intensity 5 years ago, 10 years ago etc.

I will counter that by saying Scott/Shaw/Noble (year 1) very much had the same S&C staff.

I've watched a lot of preseason sessions under Shaw and Noble under that staff and 90% of the running was incorporated into ball drills.

Today it was ball drills -> repeat 50m sprints (500m worth) -> non stop contested ball drill -> repeat 100m sprints (500m worth) -> ball drill -> 200m sprints (1km worth) etc.

Very rarely did they do "running sessions" under Segal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright, I spent about an hour down there.

Perez and P.Walker were put through the ringer by the S&C staff

Tarryn trained in some ball work for about 10 minutes then spent the next 45 mins running laps.

Jy did about half the drills then spent the rest of the time running 400's with Bonar and Curtis. Not sure if he had offseason surgery or anything?

Noble is a very hard task master.

A few thoughts:

JHF - Just looks ready to go. Wouldn't say he's the hardest trainer in the world, just go's at his pace, cruises around. Very unassuming sometimes. He looks a touch taller than Simpkin onfield, to give you an idea, but looks as big as someone like LDU already. Disposal was excellent, didn't seem too distressed with some of the heavy running, was good in the contested drills and a bit of match sim half ground crumbling drills. Got laid out by Lachie Young in one drill which took him by surprise and the coaches were all urging him to "get up" as quickly as possible. Definitely no cotton wool or favouritism with him.

Goater - Just wow. I'll preface it by saying he has a LONG way to go with his endurance. He was noticeably gassed after some of the contested drills and spewed his guts up in one of the non stop murderball handball drills. He however makes the hard look effortless, his agility and speed off the mark is as good as anyone we've had possibly had, ever. He just glides across the ground. It's one thing to see it on some highlights against NAB League players, but some very good young AFL mids just couldn't get a glove on him around the contest. He has a midfielders football brain, he knows where to get repeat possessions and knows how to get on the end of plays. He probably had the most touches in that match sim style drill. He jumps out with everything he does, when he intercepts in the contest, he's jumped much higher than the person disposing of it thought he could reach, and brings it down in his one hand. Very Koutoufides/Brennan/Fyfe like. Looks an absolute draft robbery to me.

Curtis - Spent about 20% in the drills then the rest running 400's. He looks like a kid that's just rolled in from local footy, was battling with the running. Check back in in March instead of week one would be my suggestion.

Bergman - Yeah, he's the JYD's even skinnier long lost son. Check back in 23/24. He didn't shirk the contest in the contested stuff though, but he's physically miles off.

McGuiness - You have to back the coaching staff, but he's still very slight. Looks like Cam Delaney in year 1 or 2. Reserve judgement for the VFL games at CHB.

CCJ - Was very involved in the match sim and contested stuff. Just looks like a general upgrade on X in every department.

Spicer - Looks to have come on quite a bit, doesn't look like a fresh draftee but a guy that's going to be on the cusp of selection most weeks imo.

Powell/Phillips - Trained freely and both looks fitter and stronger. I previously mentioned a standout play from Powell in the contested stuff that the ground stopped and appluded.

JHF will play Rnd 1 and I can see Goater playing quite a few games as the sub given his endurance but "burst" potential in any position.

Lovely work Sphynx! Thrilled to hear how Goater is going in and around the contest. He is going to be a beauty. I think with his natural athleticism it won't take him long to build up his tank I don't reckon. Just a natural athlete.

How did Comben & Edwards look?

Stevo in full training?

Lovely work Sphynx! Thrilled to hear how Goater is going in and around the contest. He is going to be a beauty. I think with his natural athleticism it won't take him long to build up his tank I don't reckon. Just a natural athlete.

How did Comben & Edwards look?

Stevo in full training?

Comben and Edwards looked fine.

Stevo was in all the drills that I observed and moving fine.

I will counter that by saying Scott/Shaw/Noble (year 1) very much had the same S&C staff.

I've watched a lot of preseason sessions under Shaw and Noble under that staff and 90% of the running was incorporated into ball drills.

Today it was ball drills -> repeat 50m sprints (500m worth) -> non stop contested ball drill -> repeat 100m sprints (500m worth) -> ball drill -> 200m sprints (1km worth) etc.

Very rarely did they do "running sessions" under Segal.

It showed imo. We've always struggled with the repeat running efforts.

Over the past 10 years or so we haven't really seen any of our younger brigade really develop an elite tank over the course of 3/4 pre-seasons. The only obvious exclusion to that would be Dumont and maybe Turner. While we have had natural elite runners in the system like Clarke, Hibberd, Hansen, Gibbo ect.

I look back to the likes of McDonald, Ziebell, Cunners ect and I still think many of those players have sub par endurance for an elite AFL player.

Take your poo pooing else where thanks.

WE'RE TRAINING THE HOUSE DOWN!!!

Sounds like Paul Curtis is going to take a bit of time to get going like eddie did. Big jump from local footy to the AFL

Bailey Scott has been mogged by all the first year players not named Miller.

He was fine, but he's got his work cutout. Laz was zipping about up the wing, JHF and Goater look like prized stallions in the yard.

That's with Tarryn running laps and no Greenwood, Cunners or Anderson.

He was fine, but he's got his work cutout. Laz was zipping about up the wing, JHF and Goater look like prized stallions in the yard.

That's with Tarryn running laps and no Greenwood, Cunners or Anderson.
I just mean physically. He can play just needs size.

I just mean physically. He can play just needs size.

I don't think he's getting any bigger than what he is, or might I say, wont be afforded the time to get any bigger than what he is.

He needs to make every post a winner at his current body size, or he wont be there to get the opportunity to get any bigger.

Can't help but be impressed with the skill level and intensity at this time of year. The guys look in super condition, very switched on and are being pushed by Noble to keep the intensity up during and between drills.

Tommy Powell, Laz, Eddie Ford, Curtis Taylor look ready to ******* explode.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back