Training 2021/22 Preseason Thread Lessssf*ngo

Remove this Banner Ad

Fwiw everytime there's a regime change there's a whiff of "look what they're doing now" in a kind of looking down tone to the previous regime.

I spoke to Shannon Watt after Laidley took over and we discussed the shift from Pagan's power focus to endurance - in a sense of "this is where the game is going".

When Scott took over it was how science based the approach was now compared to the old school Laidley era.

Shaw takes over and its all about how strict training is now, clocks and everything. Spoke to a high up at the season launch and there was a big "just wait and see, it's all different now" as if we were running a kindergarten under Scott.

Now under a new fitness regimen we're supposedly running more and running harder.

Not meaning to rubbish any reports. No doubt there's been tweaks. But having watched a fair share of preseason training sessions under multiple coaches, we always look like we're training long and hard (settle down TT) during the summer months. It's an AFL wide meme in fact.

No matter how hard blokes look like they're going now odds are the squads looked to go at the same intensity 5 years ago, 10 years ago etc.

They’ve invested significantly in high performance. If there wasn’t a significant improvement in the program, there would be alarm bells.

When have we ever invested so much in HP?

They’ve invested significantly in high performance. If there wasn’t a significant improvement in the program, there would be alarm bells.

When have we ever invested so much in HP?
Needed to happen considering the efforts shown over the past couple of years.

Just read a post from GR in Haydens thread that Jed and Hayden won’t be back till after Christmas.
Is Polec injured or interstate?
Not due back til Monday but just hasn’t rocked up early like the other senior boys
he’s in Vic
Some of the track watchers on monday said Polec was there for some of the earlier Pre preseason training sessions but hasnt been back since the 1-4yrs arrived.
I mean he doesn't technically have to be back until monday but it doesn't look great given his position in the side.
In saying that I don't think the likes of goldy has been back at all.

Some of the track watchers on monday said Polec was there for some of the earlier Pre preseason training sessions but hasnt been back since the 1-4yrs arrived.
I mean he doesn't technically have to be back until monday but it doesn't look great given his position in the side.

Correct,

Goldy, Josh Walker, Hall, Corr weren't out there today either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know football is different to a "Normal job" but no matter how s**t i may have been at my job this year there is not a snowflakes chance in hell i would be coming back next year before my holidays finished.

Some players LOVE the game and to some its just a job.
And there is nothing wrong with that.

I know football is different to a "Normal job" but no matter how sh*t i may have been at my job this year there is not a snowflakes chance in hell i would be coming back next year before my holidays finished.

Some players LOVE the game and to some its just a job.
And there is nothing wrong with that.
The issue is you don't have 2-3 guys actively looking to take your position and you don't have to regularly compete with people from different companies either.
Football is more a professional athletes sport than it as ever was with the fittest blokes dominating on field.
There is a lot of pressure to compete and stay fit all year round.

Why should a guy with chronic foot issues be overtraining at this point of the preseason?

Cheers. Needs to give it everything he’s got this year imo.

I don't want to be a Mahoney basher, but Spicer will be up his and Turners backside this year.

Excellent in the contested drills.

Wasnt able to get a close look at his kicking today (his biggest weakness atm IMO)

I don’t know/ think that those three compete for the same position at all.

Turner is Turner, Spicer is a small forward, Mahoney is a brains and structure player

I feel like they have different roles so it really depends on the mix of players and matchups

I don’t know/ think that those three compete for the same position at all.

Turner is Turner, Spicer is a small forward, Mahoney is a brains and structure player

I feel like they have different roles so it really depends on the mix of players and matchups

They are going to get pushed into each others starting position, possibly with the exception of Turner give he can now play as a BP.

Zurhaar, Stephenson, JHF, Ford, Taylor are all medium forwards and I think Noble might play up to 4 of them at once.

I think there will only be room for 1 Mahoney/Spicer/Curtis type in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back