Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
So we've got a full draft hand right?

First Round: Ours
Second Round: Ours and Pies
Third Round: Ours
Fourth Round: Pies
Fifth Round: Ours

Is that right? I thought we got back into the 4th round somehow, but unsure which club's it was tied to

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Is that right? I thought we got back into the 4th round somehow, but unsure which club's it was tied to

We don't have a third rounder but have two fourth rounders (Richmond via St.Kilda & Melbourne). The rest is correct.

Prediction
6, 24,28

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
its hard to know who the top 10 next year will be with so little information to go off of, but i think these guys are shaping as likely top 10 kids

Jason Horne - South Adel
Josh Rachele - Murray
Tyler Sonsie - Eastern
Josh Sinn - Sandringham
Nick Daicos - Oakleigh (Coll F/S)
Jacob Van Rooyen - Claremont

5/6 im confident they will be top 10, with Daicos its purely based on Cal Twomey and recruiters saying he is top tier from them watching him in APS games.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Hypothetically, if we got Sinn and had the option to trade Tom Mitchell for another top 10 pick would you Davo-27? For someone like chesser or Jacob Van Rooyen?
dont know much about Chesser, just that he is highly rated form the Vic Metro u16's dominating team, but Jacob Van Rooyen is 194cm and moves like a midfielder, but plays like a tall forw and has good endurance, he put in a good 4 quarter effort in the WAFL Colts GF in a losing team.

This is apparently the draft for midfielders, with scarce few KPP coming through at the top end.

An elite midfield can cover for a poor forward line. We just need Lewis and Jeka to develop into good forwards and we are pretty much set for the future.
True, It doesn't have to be key forwards though I'd be happy with the club to looking at any mix of forwards. We have a good senior core up there for the kids to learn off.

That's just my preference and if the right players arnt available then you always just bring in talant regardless of position and who knows maybe you can shape them the way you want.

Looks like the Tigers list will be our blueprint.

Let's talk about how Richmond finally started succeeding; they started tapping the ball on a lot instead of taking possession... hmm, wonder which team famously did that very well? They loaded up their forward line with high pressure smalls? Not as though we had Puopolo, Rioli, Breust all running around the same forward line. In fact, those 3 laid more tackles in a season than Richmond's forward line ever did - by a fair margin in fact.

They prioritized a team first defense which places a premium on intercept marks and peeling off their opposition to impact contests. Which player was it that held the record for most intercept marks until McGovern came on the scene... someone Lake? Brian maybe? Who was it that won 2 B&Fs in premiership years on the back of being the best in the game at peeling off his opponent... Gibson maybe?

But yeah, we're definitely emulating the Tigers list. Definitely 100%, they were the first to ever have pressure forwards and I still remember the first time in the history of the game an intercept mark was taken by Dylan Grimes and the footy world stopped and took notice.

Richmond have been great lately, don't get me wrong - the best team at having a game plan and employing that game plan week in and week out, but it's insulting to say that we're using their list as our blueprint. Their success has come off the back of taking strategies we used and putting them into hyper drive, mainly because they tried for years to copy our kicking but never had the players to do it.

Even their forwards - notice how in 2017 Jack Riewoldt started playing more like Roughy did? Treating marking contests like ruck contests and tapping the ball down to their smalls?

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clarko does things his way. He'll have his own game plan. He won't be copying Hardwick's.
He does. But he's now recruiting players with similar traits. I've got no doubt that all of the draftees have traits suited to the modern game. Or the team that's won 3 of the last 4.

He does. But he's now recruiting players with similar traits. I've got no doubt that all of the draftees have traits suited to the modern game. Or the team that's won 3 of the last 4.
You don't copy the premier's game plan, you improve it.

Clarko is getting speed in, but i'm sure there are other elements that he's looking at, and will adapt.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You don't copy the premier's game plan, you improve it.

Clarko is getting speed in, but i'm sure there are other elements that he's looking at, and will adapt.
Spot on. I'm not talking about game plan specifically. More the traits you need in players to suit the modern game.

For the forward line, sure. We had two of the quickest forwards in the competition for the better part of the decade, Cyril retired 3 years too early and Puopolo was older and not quite at the same level so he couldn't be THE guy. We've had them before and they needed replacing, but if you look at the testing and the players that have come out of the last few years there haven't been a whole lot available with elite pace.

Not so much this year where there were a lot of pacey smalls, and they were within reach at our picks.

It's not some response to draft them simply because Richmond have got a couple of them.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For the forward line, sure. We had two of the quickest forwards in the competition for the better part of the decade, Cyril retired 3 years too early and Puopolo was older and not quite at the same level so he couldn't be THE guy. We've had them before and they needed replacing, but if you look at the testing and the players that have come out of the last few years there haven't been a whole lot available with elite pace.

Not so much this year where there were a lot of pacey smalls, and they were within reach at our picks.

It's not some response to draft them simply because Richmond have got a couple of them.
No. But he's a smart guy. And would analyse the list profile of the best, and pick the eyes out of it.

What do the Tigers have the best of:
- great intercept defenders
- mids and fwds who have speed and swarm ground balls and the contest.
- Dusty.

No. But he's a smart guy. And would analyse the list profile of the best, and pick the eyes out of it.

What do the Tigers have the best of:
- great intercept defenders
- mids and fwds who have speed and swarm ground balls and the contest.
- Dusty.

But it's not as though these are new things? He wouldn't need to analyse the Tigers to see that intercept defenders are important, nor that pressure is important given that through our premierships we were doing the exact same thing on both counts.

The only point of difference Dusty and it's not like we have that, or can reasonably get that no matter how much analysis is done.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
But it's not as though these are new things? He wouldn't need to analyse the Tigers to see that intercept defenders are important, nor that pressure is important given that through our premierships we were doing the exact same thing on both counts.

The only point of difference Dusty and it's not like we have that, or can reasonably get that no matter how much analysis is done.
Of course. I put Duz there for a laugh.

We had a chance to take pure midfielders, but we baulked and went for raw speed. My gut tells me it's a different direction we're going. Could be wrong. They could have been best available.

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
I think we are in for some pain next season! So pick 1 or 2 will be ours?

On G8141 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Essendon, North and maybe (probably?) the crows will be right near the bottom you’d think. All three are in complete rebuild / list turnover mode

If collingwoods medical team proves as incompetent as it has in the past, they could be keeping company too. Their best 22 is still decent but they have lost a truck or depth, both from their disaster or a trade period and in delistings / retirements

Yes, I’m aware we lost to 3/4 of these teams, and only just scraped past North 😳

Rowie6

Club Legend
Jan 28, 2007
East Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Ham United,Green Bay Packers.
I think Adelaide will improve and both Hawks and Kangaroos will be about the same. Who knows what Essendon will do?
Essendon, North and maybe (probably?) the crows will be right near the bottom you’d think. All three are in complete rebuild / list turnover mode

If collingwoods medical team proves as incompetent as it has in the past, they could be keeping company too. Their best 22 is still decent but they have lost a truck or depth, both from their disaster or a trade period and in delistings / retirements

Yes, I’m aware we lost to 3/4 of these teams, and only just scraped past North

On G8141 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let's talk about how Richmond finally started succeeding; they started tapping the ball on a lot instead of taking possession... hmm, wonder which team famously did that very well? They loaded up their forward line with high pressure smalls? Not as though we had Puopolo, Rioli, Breust all running around the same forward line. In fact, those 3 laid more tackles in a season than Richmond's forward line ever did - by a fair margin in fact.

They prioritized a team first defense which places a premium on intercept marks and peeling off their opposition to impact contests. Which player was it that held the record for most intercept marks until McGovern came on the scene... someone Lake? Brian maybe? Who was it that won 2 B&Fs in premiership years on the back of being the best in the game at peeling off his opponent... Gibson maybe?

But yeah, we're definitely emulating the Tigers list. Definitely 100%, they were the first to ever have pressure forwards and I still remember the first time in the history of the game an intercept mark was taken by Dylan Grimes and the footy world stopped and took notice.
460d3d70126e41e9a6eda9e42d8e27ee

lyger

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
its hard to know who the top 10 next year will be with so little information to go off of, but i think these guys are shaping as likely top 10 kids

Jason Horne - South Adel
Josh Rachele - Murray
Tyler Sonsie - Eastern
Josh Sinn - Sandringham
Nick Daicos - Oakleigh (Coll F/S)
Jacob Van Rooyen - Claremont

5/6 im confident they will be top 10, with Daicos its purely based on Cal Twomey and recruiters saying he is top tier from them watching him in APS games.
At this point, how would you rate the top four of your list to say Rowell?

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Richmond have been great lately, don't get me wrong - the best team at having a game plan and employing that game plan week in and week out, but it's insulting to say that we're using their list as our blueprint. Their success has come off the back of taking strategies we used and putting them into hyper drive, mainly because they tried for years to copy our kicking but never had the players to do it.

Even their forwards - notice how in 2017 Jack Riewoldt started playing more like Roughy did? Treating marking contests like ruck contests and tapping the ball down to their smalls?
The other thing which I think gets lost a little was that over the off-season prior to them becoming a good side, they had a huge review and decided to concoct a game plan that suited their current list strengths. From memory not only did they analyze each player's strengths but I think they also flat out asked each player where they enjoy playing and where they saw themselves playing their best footy. Something to be said about that if I've remembered it correctly.

So not only did they switch to a game plan that suited their list (as opposed to what most teams tend to do in creating a plan and trying to shape the players to that plan) but also had players playing roles they enjoyed/aspired to. I think Collingwood did the same thing the year they turned it around to get effect as well.

I'd love for us to do a review of where our list strengths are and create a game plan that fits those strengths. Flip it back onto the players rather than what Clark and the coaches see.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back