2021 Draft and Trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have at it.

Rather than have a couple of threads at this early stage, we'll run it as a combined thread for the time being and split them later in the year when information gets more concrete.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
As I saw this thread pop up, I did chuckle to myself as I guessed who would be the first two respondents. Still chuckling.
I’m just a little miffed I didn’t get in first.

Seriously, this might be the quietest I’ll be on a draft in the early part of the year, due to no football being played last year in Vic.

Nov 8, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Priority for 2021 - sign McCluggage. Plenty of clubs would offer him more than we are. Essendon, Dees, North off the top of my head are good fits. Crows, Dockers, Swans too.

This time last year it was clear we were building a war chest for a recruit, that turned out to be Joe.

I think our focus this year will have to be to retain McCluggage, Bailey, Starc, Payne, Dev as other clubs sniff around.

Charlie, Lachie, Harris, Berry, Lachie, Hippy, Rayner all signed up.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If for whatever reason we have a down year the upside is possibly 2 top 10 draft picks. Lions finished last in 98 after having two very good seasons which netted us Headland who was a key player in our flag years up to 2002

Has anyone mentioned McCluggage jnr is in this years draft crop?
God, people these days are having kids earlier and earlier.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If for whatever reason we have a down year the upside is possibly 2 top 10 draft picks. Lions finished last in 98 after having two very good seasons which netted us Headland who was a key player in our flag years up to 2002
As much as I like a top high end draft picks i would rather ours to be more like pick 18 😉. I would say that we would get two picks in the teens this year. Yes a mid and a running/elite kick HBF would be my preferred options but long way to go. A few names of players I like the sound of but just hope that all goes well this year to watch (national champs) and read more of as they progress. I am also excited to see the continued development of those on our list as we might already have those types. In regards to Hugh jnr his big bro came from the clouds in his draft year so will be interesting to see how little bro progresses this year.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm waiting for the usual "will be better than his brother" line. that's a scary thought. would put him way out of our reach though

Is not even nearly as good a Hugh at the same age. Will have to improve immensely to get drafted.

While this is true, it’s quite hard to tell. He barely played in 2020 like all junior prospects, so the closest accurate comparison would be made to what Hugh had shown 2 years before he got drafted.

morsie

All Australian
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The last few comments remind me of a competition that the Coodabeens had many years ago to compile a team of dud brothers.There was fertile ground for the complilation.

While this is true, it’s quite hard to tell. He barely played in 2020 like all junior prospects, so the closest accurate comparison would be made to what Hugh had shown 2 years before he got drafted.
Yeah, it is so unknown, isn't it? I recall reading somewhere that Hugh's under 16 year wasn't great at that level and he was pretty undersized (albeit I think he played some senior footy at a local level). Even his underage year was OK rather than spectacular.

But it is somewhat irrelevant anyway as just because they are brothers, doesn't mean they will develop at the same speed or even reach the same level of development. I think the 2021 draft cohort is going to prove the most interesting in a long time as u/16s form either gets franked or invalidated and later developers come virtually out of nowhere.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Yeah, it is so unknown, isn't it? I recall reading somewhere that Hugh's under 16 year wasn't great at that level and he was pretty undersized (albeit I think he played some senior footy at a local level). Even his underage year was OK rather than spectacular.

But it is somewhat irrelevant anyway as just because they are brothers, doesn't mean they will develop at the same speed or even reach the same level of development. I think the 2021 draft cohort is going to prove the most interesting in a long time as u/16s form either gets franked or invalidated and later developers come virtually out of nowhere.
Hugh didn’t play in the U16 championships for Vic country.

Wasn’t on any draft watchers radar after his bottom age year, wasn’t mentioned in any discussions coming in to 2016.

From memory, it was his Ballarat rebels coach who got him added to the AFL academy squad during the 2016 preseason. So he didn’t come through the “elite” pathway, but was a late addition. (Neither McGrath or Taranto were part of the AFL academy either, but both played U16 Championships).

So Hugh was very much a late developer.

I’m sure there are some here who watched the Rebels U16 team, so would be able to compare both boys U16 years at the Rebels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back