2021 Formula One Season: Championship Decider Abu Dhabi - Verstappen Wins in a Controversial Race! 🏆 🍾

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not a Lewis fan. I was hoping for a Verstappen win.

I'm objective enough to assess these events independent of who I am cheering for.

I used to think this was what grownups do, now I know better.

Turns out most adults are no more objective than children, when it comes to sports.
Its Collingwood vs Essendon for me, I was hoping they both lost through trying to take each other out.

I am objective enough to understand the pressure that was on Masi to make a decision in minutes while he has Horner and Wolf screaming at him over the radio and his team trying to work out how to make the decider have a legitimate finish. I am sure given his time again to reflect he would have done something different but its easy for us to poke holes after the fact when we have days and weeks to dissect it, the man had 5mins tops ffs.

People who think max was gifted the win are delusional, there isn't a single reason why Lewis couldn't have been the one to box and forced max into trying to defend with old tires and if you try and tell me they thought it would end behind a safety car they are just as delusional. Championship decider, 2 drivers on level points, they were restarting that race come rain hail or shine. As much as we all think its a shambles because 3 cars didn't unlap themselves, it would have been an even bigger shamble if we had an entire season amount to a bunch of guys crossing the line at 60km/h.

Meanwhile.....someone in the MERC camp still trotting out the "Lewis was robbed" line

"Lewis was robbed...right in front of me!"

Prattling on about integrity and fairness meanwhile toto is like * latifi's life i've got a world championship to win not to mention our illegal rear wing we ran for the last 6 races to get ahead.

Last edited:
Ocon still has Mercedes links which could free up the spot for Piastri but I doubt they go that way. Their reserve drivers are Vandoorne and de Vries who are probably not at the level they want to partner George. Vesti hasn't proved himself as a junior yet and Aron is too young. Gutierrez is similar to Vandoorne.. I just don't really see an option without buying out someone like Ricciardo or Gasly

Ocon still has Mercedes links which could free up the spot for Piastri but I doubt they go that way. Their reserve drivers are Vandoorne and de Vries who are probably not at the level they want to partner George. Vesti hasn't proved himself as a junior yet and Aron is too young. Gutierrez is similar to Vandoorne.. I just don't really see an option without buying out someone like Ricciardo or Gasly

If they want experience then Ricciardo, though Gasly might be an option and it would piss off Red Bull if he became a major thorn in their side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no way Lewis is retiring, he wants to go out the undisputed "most winningest", he won't quit until either a) he has an eighth WDC or b) he's obviously not going to win another one ...

There's no way Lewis is retiring, he wants to go out the undisputed "most winningest", he won't quit until either a) he has an eighth WDC or b) he's obviously not going to win another one ...

It's unlikely yes, but we can still have fun looking at the hypotheticals. I imagine he will retire soon regardless, and when that happens, it's hard to see anyone stopping Max from going on a title spree.

Its Collingwood vs Essendon for me, I was hoping they both lost through trying to take each other out.

I am objective enough to understand the pressure that was on Masi to make a decision in minutes while he has Horner and Wolf screaming at him over the radio and his team trying to work out how to make the decider have a legitimate finish. I am sure given his time again to reflect he would have done something different but its easy for us to poke holes after the fact when we have days and weeks to dissect it, the man had 5mins tops ffs.

People who think max was gifted the win are delusional, there isn't a single reason why Lewis couldn't have been the one to box and forced max into trying to defend with old tires and if you try and tell me they thought it would end behind a safety car they are just as delusional. Championship decider, 2 drivers on level points, they were restarting that race come rain hail or shine. As much as we all think its a shambles because 3 cars didn't unlap themselves, it would have been an even bigger shamble if we had an entire season amount to a bunch of guys crossing the line at 60km/h.

Exactly. I think half of the Merc bleating is to distract from an obviously flawed pit strategy. They should be coming under the same scrutiny as the McLaren folks after their effort at Sochi.

I mean how hard is it? Pit Lewis and either he and Max are on the same tyres, with Lewis in front; or he is behind Max, but with much better tyres and the faster car (in a straight line).

It's unlikely yes, but we can still have fun looking at the hypotheticals. I imagine he will retire soon regardless, and when that happens, it's hard to see anyone stopping Max from going on a title spree.
True. But the new regs for next season and beyond could throw everything up in the air. We've seen how Max/Red Bull were powerless to prevent Lewis/Merc dominance for the last few years. Maybe Ferrari or McLaren will improve further and we'll get some serious competition at last ...

Exactly. I think half of the Merc bleating is to distract from an obviously flawed pit strategy. They should be coming under the same scrutiny as the McLaren folks after their effort at Sochi.

I mean how hard is it? Pit Lewis and either he and Max are on the same tyres, with Lewis in front; or he is behind Max, but with much better tyres and the faster car (in a straight line).
Exactly, any argument they thought it would end behind the safety car is laughable it was a championship decider ffs

I reckon Lewis would've seriously thought about retiring had he got the championship.

Not winning has perhaps thrown a spanner in the works.

Winning would mean he literally had nothing left to do in the sport but break his own records and set the bar even higher. But given he's now knighted he'd probably move onto other things.

Not sure how he'd feel about kicking on for another year into the new year. Having now lost one, he could come out and lose again (either to Russell, or to any of the other teams/drivers really if Mercedes get the car wrong). The disappointment in the Mercedes camp may make it difficult for them to pickup morale and get work done over the offseason?

I think he'll race on though, and winning next year in a new era will certainly help give his achievements through his career some validation.

Anyone else watch the FIA Gala ceremony?? What a complete s**t show hahaha...So many moments in there I was just pissing myself laughing. After watching this, I'm amazed the FIA can organise a single race event, let alone a whole championship! I also now understand why Kimi just gets drunk anytime he is invited to one of these

One of the funniest parts was pulling Max up to hand an award to a karting champion and no one bothered to tell him who he was meant to give it to haha

Other amateur moments:

Handing out a life member type award, saying the guy isnt there while he is walking down the cat walk right infront of the camera
Team leader of winning World RX team didn't actually get given his trophy at all, walked off stage and the poor girl that was meant to present it is just left standing there by herself confused af
"You smell good in other ways" :sweatsmile:
ALO winning the FIA action of the year award with a pre-record acceptance video that was clearly filmed straight after the Abu Dhabi race
The two presenters and half the people handing over the trophies in general having no idea of what was going on half the time, and just being awkward af

Last edited:
Exactly, any argument they thought it would end behind the safety car is laughable it was a championship decider ffs

I'm glad the race ended on green flags as it gave us the last lap for the ages.

But the events were manipulated, there is no doubt. How else do you explain Norris, Alonso, Ocon, and Vettel being allowed to unlap, but Ricciardo, Stroll, and Schumacher weren't? Verstappen was behind Vettel. That is the only reason why! It was a farce and Masi moved the goal posts in the middle of the game when he has set a precedent in Germany last season of all lapped cars being allowed through.

You can't follow rules in one race and then apply them inconsistently in another because of the situation, i.e., title decider. Every race has a bearing on the world championship.

If FIA don't want races ending on yellow, then be proactive about it and make an adjustment in the rules. * me, how long have FIA been involved in racing? Extend a race so if the yellow/safety car takes the race to the scheduled end, then there are 1 or 2 green flag laps after the safety car event to ensure that what needs to be done under yellow according to the rules is completed, and then the race can still finish on green flags. Under the current regulations, the race should have ended on yellow.

Last edited:
Also, since HAM didnt attend the FIA Gala event (when he is required to, as Per article 6.6 "The drivers finishing first, second and third in the Championship must be present at the annual FIA Prize Giving ceremony.") it will be interesting to see if the FIA punish him at all for it. I mean...MERC want the rules to be applied consistently..... :sweatsmile:

Anyone else watch the FIA Gala ceremony?? What a complete sh*t show hahaha...So many moments in there I was just pissing myself laughing. After watching this, I'm amazed the FIA can organise a single race event, let alone a whole championship! I also now understand why Kimi just gets drunk anytime he is invited to one of these

One of the funniest parts was pulling Max up to hand an award to a karting champion and no one bothered to tell him who he was meant to give it to haha

Other amateur moments:

Handing out a life member type award, saying the guy isnt there while he is walking down the cat walk right infront of the camera
Team leader of winning World RX team didn't actually get given his trophy at all, walked off stage and the poor girl that was meant to present it is just left standing there by herself confused af
"You smell good in other ways" :sweatsmile:
ALO winning the FIA action of the year award with a pre-record acceptance video that was clearly filmed straight after the Abu Dhabi race
The two presenters and half the people handing over the trophies in general having no idea of what was going on half the time, and just being awkward af

It is paintful to watch that. I tapped out after like 10 seconds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back