List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
Just a query.... if we did a pick swap with the suns, could we then go Mac at 4 (6) and still get Gibcus who would likely slide as well as pick up something a bit juicy as part of the swap?

Just a query.... if we did a pick swap with the suns, could we then go Mac at 4 (6) and still get Gibcus who would likely slide as well as pick up something a bit juicy as part of the swap?

It's a possibility that Gibcus slides until #13 (15) given the needs of most clubs in that range, but a club such as St Kilda is looking for a KPD, so may decide to pull the trigger on that need in preference to a mid if he's available.

Then the question might be for us, whether we could turn the Suns' ''juicy'' enticement around with #13 (15) to swap with Saints - they'll get a mid and we could pick up Gibcus. It's possible, but carries a degree of risk.

Last edited:
It's a possibility that Gibcus slides until #13 (15) given the needs of most clubs in that range, but a club such as St Kilda is looking for a KPD, so may decide to pull the trigger on that need in preference to a mid if he's available.

Then the question might be for us, whether we could turn the Suns' ''juicy'' enticement around with #13 (15) to swap with Saints - they'll get a mid and we could pick up Gibcus. It's possible, but carries a degree of risk.
Just tell the saints to leave Gibcus or we take Owens

The question would be whether the enticement is big enough for St Kilda to go backwards - they'll be looking to their NGAs in Owens & Windhager as mids, but some outside run wouldn't go astray, or talls. Do they miss too much opportunity by sliding back 4? (Based on my view that Saints are most likely of the teams before our second pick to take Gibcus.)

I perceive it could go:

1 - NM - JHF
2 & 3 - Daicos & Darcy bid matches
4 - Suns - Callaghan
5 - GWS - Andrew
6 - Adelaide - Rachele
7 - Hawks - Ward
8 - Freo - Erasmus
9 - Tigers - Hobbs
10 - Freo - Johnson
11 - GWS (after trade with St Kilda) - Gibcus
12 - West Coast - Goater perhaps
13 - Essendon - NWM
14 - Port - ?
15 - St Kilda (after trade with GWS) - ?

If Gibcus got to the Saints pick by some miracle I'd guarantee that they'd be fielding about 10 clubs trying to trade up for him, think of teams like North, Sydney, Brisbane, etc. that need a young KPD even more than us, Sydney could trade 16 and Melbourne's future first without a second thought

I’m calling the specific post ignorant. Bit different to labelling the poster. Anyway, I’ve cut it off, Danny loves to agitate and I’m not expending the energy.
You can’t separate the two

The hypocrisy of insulting me and then complaining when you get a reaction as “playing the man” is clearly lost on you

I’m here to chat footy not put up with this rubbish. Pull your head in

If Gibcus got to the Saints pick by some miracle I'd guarantee that they'd be fielding about 10 clubs trying to trade up for him, think of teams like North, Sydney, Brisbane, etc. that need a young KPD even more than us, Sydney could trade 16 and Melbourne's future first without a second thought
You've said about a miracle if Gibcus got to the Saints' pick - if neither GWS nor GCS select him who else in that top 10 of picks do you think select him? I've seen some commentary around Hawks, but surely they got DGB last year and desperately need to build their midfield?

You've said about a miracle if Gibcus got to the Saints' pick - if neither GWS nor GCS select him who else in that top 10 of picks do you think select him? I've seen some commentary around Hawks, but surely they got DGB last year and desperately need to build their midfield?
For starters, I think I've made it clear that I value KPP's highly and think you should go for them early if they're around the mark and worry about midfielders later, which I think comes out in my rankings and preferences for what we do with Pick 2, so personally I'd be looking at Gibcus for Suns, Crows, Hawks, Tigers and Saints after us (given I've got him as my third best player in the open pool, fourth overall atm as well). I think DGB is great obviously but he's really one piece and Gibcus would be a nice compliment to him I reckon, both are capable one-on-one and with their intercept game.

This draft in particular is the one where if you've got some picks in the teens/ 20's as well as an early pick, you can afford to go for a KPP early even if midfield is a need, looking at what might slip to the Hawks in the 20's, guys like Sonsie, Butler, Chesser, Knevitt, Clarke, Macdonald, Owens, Sheldrick, etc. should be around the mark, and they'd be able to trade up to get a higher rated guy if they wanted in the teens, so to me it makes sense for Gibcus from a draft strategy, list balance and best available view.

Even after that, I reckon Richmond would take him if he's there given their lack of young KPD's (quality ones at least), would be perfect to give him a year or two to develop whilst Tarrant is still able to play a full season. If not them, then I reckon Freo and the Saints are fielding some decent offers as I said, if we were trying to trade up it'd have to be 13 and a Future 1st to be a shot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For starters, I think I've made it clear that I value KPP's highly and think you should go for them early if they're around the mark and worry about midfielders later, which I think comes out in my rankings and preferences for what we do with Pick 2, so personally I'd be looking at Gibcus for Suns, Crows, Hawks, Tigers and Saints after us (given I've got him as my third best player in the open pool, fourth overall atm as well). I think DGB is great obviously but he's really one piece and Gibcus would be a nice compliment to him I reckon, both are capable one-on-one and with their intercept game.

This draft in particular is the one where if you've got some picks in the teens/ 20's as well as an early pick, you can afford to go for a KPP early even if midfield is a need, looking at what might slip to the Hawks in the 20's, guys like Sonsie, Butler, Chesser, Knevitt, Clarke, Macdonald, Owens, Sheldrick, etc. should be around the mark, and they'd be able to trade up to get a higher rated guy if they wanted in the teens, so to me it makes sense for Gibcus from a draft strategy, list balance and best available view.

Even after that, I reckon Richmond would take him if he's there given their lack of young KPD's (quality ones at least), would be perfect to give him a year or two to develop whilst Tarrant is still able to play a full season. If not them, then I reckon Freo and the Saints are fielding some decent offers as I said, if we were trying to trade up it'd have to be 13 and a Future 1st to be a shot

I guess that thinking shows the gap between guys like your good self what pat attention and the average BF poster ..., Most team boards seem to be of the opinion That most teams are high on the midfield talent this year and once past GC Gibcus seems like sliding deep

I guess that thinking shows the gap between guys like your good self what pat attention and the average BF poster ..., Most team boards seem to be of the opinion That most teams are high on the midfield talent this year and once past GC Gibcus seems like sliding deep
That's a nice way of putting it haha, I'm a bit of a sucker for Key Position talent with athleticism, it's why I rate Caminiti so highly despite him playing limited NAB league games. I guess my big thing with Gibcus/ Andrew against say a Ward or Hobbs is that I reckon you'll get close to Ward from guys like Sonsie or Butler if they're given the right development, and a Hobbs kind there's a few of next year (bigger bodied as well), but obviously it takes all sorts to make a premiership side

That's a nice way of putting it haha, I'm a bit of a sucker for Key Position talent with athleticism, it's why I rate Caminiti so highly despite him playing limited NAB league games. I guess my big thing with Gibcus/ Andrew against say a Ward or Hobbs is that I reckon you'll get close to Ward from guys like Sonsie or Butler if they're given the right development, and a Hobbs kind there's a few of next year (bigger bodied as well), but obviously it takes all sorts to make a premiership side
The other thing is the 2022 daft seems rich in Kpp .... so do teams wait?

The other thing is the 2022 daft seems rich in Kpp .... so do teams wait?
Things change a lot obviously, but the top end KPP's are all forward or rucks moreso than defenders, and we're also one prospect down with Alex Condon choosing basketball over footy.

Those thoughts are reflected in your draft rankings PMBangers so fair call. We're not going to know until the draft itself where the various teams rate the kids, so it's all speculative. I guess the point to be made is that there's no certainty that moving backwards in the draft - or at least too far - still gets you the guy who'd like, because you really don't know what other teams' rankings are. Us mortals love to work out optimal outcomes for our teams, but tend to make other teams' follow our desired selections to get that outcome, hey.

From Fox Footy, Nov 12.
This may have been talked about on here, and I've missed it...

"But the Giants have warmed to the prospect of selecting Callaghan. It’s understood coach Leon Cameron is a big fan of the smooth-moving midfielder."

If true, Leon will want to keep Pick 2; @ that's all folks.

From Fox Footy, Nov 12.
This may have been talked about on here, and I've missed it...

"But the Giants have warmed to the prospect of selecting Callaghan. It’s understood coach Leon Cameron is a big fan of the smooth-moving midfielder."

If true, Leon will want to keep Pick 2; @ that's all folks.
For good reason. The guy is gonna be a jet. Most clubs clambering to get their hands on him. In our system I can see him being a great cream player in the first couple of years, he'll have to fight for his spot, but once he's in the team, he'll be hard to replace.
Incredible evasive player, got pace, can kick. I doubt he'll have the Caldwell/Hately attitude. Our young core is gonna be VERY good.
Bruhn played really well once we moved him more on ball last year, kinda the same once we got Ash more into the game with a tagging/on ball role. I'd imagine we'll chuck Callaghan on the wing early if his tank is decent.
Plenty of pieces for Leon Cameron to work with next year.

For good reason. The guy is gonna be a jet. Most clubs clambering to get their hands on him. In our system I can see him being a great cream player in the first couple of years, he'll have to fight for his spot, but once he's in the team, he'll be hard to replace.
Incredible evasive player, got pace, can kick. I doubt he'll have the Caldwell/Hately attitude. Our young core is gonna be VERY good.
Bruhn played really well once we moved him more on ball last year, kinda the same once we got Ash more into the game with a tagging/on ball role. I'd imagine we'll chuck Callaghan on the wing early if his tank is decent.
Plenty of pieces for Leon Cameron to work with next year.
If his 2 km time trial is anything to go by (and lets face it they are a very good guide) he will have a great engine. As is Fahey. Adding some great runners to the squad to go with Whitfield and Kelly

If his 2 km time trial is anything to go by (and lets face it they are a very good guide) he will have a great engine. As is Fahey. Adding some great runners to the squad to go with Whitfield and Kelly
Fahey is SUPER exciting.
Ash/Cumming/Fahey to bring back that run on half back we lost after losing the Wilson/Williams combo.
I feel like our backline and mid/wings are in a really good spot.
Another big preseason under Stevie J and if the forward line can click. I have pretty high hopes (like everyone at this time of year).

Toby being out for 5 games early sucks but does allow someone a chance to put their name up and take that spot.

Can't wait.
Big FINN boy and Fahey FTW

Not sure if these have been shared here, worth a read for anyone wanting to know a bit more about the 4 we're looking at. Not sure how people feel about this but I've got a sneaking feeling that we may try to trade into the top 10 with our 13 and a future pick to nab Rachele if he slides past Hawthorn, just seems that Caruso loves him from how much he brought him up during podcasts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back