List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
Like most here the Callaghan pick is a no brainer and it will take a great offer for the club to give it up
Hawks #5 + 22 1st rd
Crows #4 + 22 1st rd
Dockers #6 + #8
Without those 2 top 10 picks I don't see it being attractive enough for the club and if the club sends anything back it should be a 22 2nd rd

If the club is that keen on Andrew package #13 + 22 1st rd to move up on draft night

Leaving Callaghan, Andrew, Fahey and DFA as the ideal draft night imo

With the lack of underage games the last 2 years I can see Callaghan playing close to an entire season of reserves and maybe a debut depending on how the club is travelling

I think the move is trade down if they’re not taking Callaghan. Every other club is likely to take Callaghan at 2 so might as well trade back at least a spot to secure someone else. Would be happy with Rachele or Gibcus in a small trade down. Next year is supposed to be filled with KPP so it’s important we have our first round pick then to address our issues if Gibcus isn’t selected or they want to target a forward.

Haynes was predicted as a chance to go to the Lions at pick 8 because we were desperate for KPP talent, which is why the Giants took him at 7. The Lions took Longer, a pick that the less said about the better. I don't recall Ash being a huge reach, but I remember it more being a case of a bunch of guys being rated similarly after Rowell. Even Anderson was similar but everyone assumed GC would take him because of the Rowell link.

Well you better not tell SOS that as on trade radio recently he was claiming that other clubs didn't rate Haynes close to a top 10 selection and was giving himself a pat on the back for the selection. Would say both Taranto and Ash at the time were considered minor reaches at least as far as the media was concerned.

Well you better not tell SOS that as on trade radio recently he was claiming that other clubs didn't rate Haynes close to a top 10 selection and was giving himself a pat on the back for the selection. Would say both Taranto and Ash at the time were considered minor reaches at least as far as the media was concerned.

I think he's gilding the lily a bit there.

From Emma Quayle's phantom draft at the time:

BRISBANE LIONS
TOBY GREENE
VITAL INFORMATION
From Oakleigh Chargers, 18, 180cm, 76kg. Inside midfielder who gets first hands to the ball.
THE RATIONALE The Lions need new blood for most parts of the ground. At pick eight, they need to pick the best player on offer.
BEST-LAID PLANS Nick Haynes and Sam Docherty are both chances here, with Billy Longer and Devon Smith considerations too.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/49099/phantom-draft has Haynes at 11 (which basically just one pick later than he went, given the number of picks GWS had that year) and references "the Brisbane Lions needing to add a quality tall to their mix" re: taking Tomlinson at #7.

I wonder if we keep 2 and want Finn, if we won't bid on Daicos or Darcy. Finn might prefer to be pick 2 than 4. Also if no father sons where in place, would we really pick Darcy over Finn. We would pick daicos or JFH over Finn, but probably not Darcy.
One would hope that’s not a factor

The afl.com.au suggestions for us trading down are ludicrous .... trade down for a 22 2nd rounder? Nuts!!
It might be a bit of an exaggeration the whole issue of us trading back. It is the only newsworthy potentially interesting thing that might happen as apparently nobody wants to slide backwards from the top 10 other than us ( maybe that is me reading other teams boards too much), so this is being pumped up

Last edited:
An interesting article, not least of which is the speculation that there are 4 possible players in GWS' sights.

I do think some of the trade suggestions are laughable though. We've in the past paid quite heavily for small moves: from 3 to 2 (first round included, although it was mainly for points later in the draft) and from 6 to 4 (future first round pick) - yet the article speculates a mere single second round pick for Adelaide or Hawks to take the second best player in the open draft!

Gold Coast I could come at not requiring a full first round (future) pick to move up one spot - they'd merely have to see who we take and you'd think that any of Callaghan, Gibcus or Andrew would be valuable for them, so they won't pay massively for a one spot move. (Although we do risk them stealing our first choice in any trade, of course.) Trade us Pies' future second and we can deathride them for another year! (Pies' second and third round picks in 2022 would be even better.)

It should cost the Crows a full future first round pick (nothing back & nothing less) to move up two. If they don't understand that we can sell #2 to a club behind them for more than they offer, so they can be leapfrogged and won't get Callaghan even if we don't want him, then ... they deserve what they get (or don't get!).

Hawks should be a full first round pick or their two second round picks this year (starting picks #21 & #24). At #5, they could lose access to both Callaghan & Ward, who would be the best two options for them, so moving to #2 catapults them into getting the best midfielder after Daicos & JHF, so they should pay for that privilege (more than a lousy second round pick, that could be eaten up by a late-teens bid on Fahey). I can see they wouldn't want to give up a 2022 first round pick given they likely finish low on next year's table, but that should be the price.

Two second round picks this year would be an intriguing prospect for us, noting the article rightly points out our difficulty in trading players or free agents in, and needing to use the draft. Ending up with picks #5, #13, #21, #24 and the later picks gives some flexibility around selections, with a lot of the early second round picks being as highly rated in some quarters as mid first round picks. Plus we have some insurance at dealing with a Fahey bid in the late teens. If Mac Andrew is our prime target, then Callaghan/Hawks, Gibcus/Suns, Ward or Erasmus/Crows would allow us to grab Andrew; then after "best available" at #13 (let's assume a running midfielder such as Tyler Sonsie, Mitch Owens or Mitch Knevitt), we could potentially grab a KPD (Rhett Bazzo, Leek Alleer) and a small forward (Judson Clarke, who is potentially a better balanced small forward than Rachele). Worst case we have to pay for Fahey and get only one of those; it would still be OK. And we could also trade #13 for a future first round pick - West Coast or St Kilda might be keen to do a trade that is relatively even in value.

On the flipside Haynes, Taranto and Ash were also reaches to some degree
Taranto and Ash were very highly rated. Most had Ash around where he went give or take. And Taranto was probably rated a couple spots lower (still in 5-8) but still a complete player with not many question marks we weren't factoring in a stack of development.

Can't comment on Haynes didnt follow close enough.

The ones mentioned were all players with ability and potential but we're projects.

Much like Andrew.

An interesting article, not least of which is the speculation that there are 4 possible players in GWS' sights.

I do think some of the trade suggestions are laughable though. We've in the past paid quite heavily for small moves: from 3 to 2 (first round included, although it was mainly for points later in the draft) and from 6 to 4 (future first round pick) - yet the article speculates a mere single second round pick for Adelaide or Hawks to take the second best player in the open draft!

Gold Coast I could come at not requiring a full first round (future) pick to move up one spot - they'd merely have to see who we take and you'd think that any of Callaghan, Gibcus or Andrew would be valuable for them, so they won't pay massively for a one spot move. (Although we do risk them stealing our first choice in any trade, of course.) Trade us Pies' future second and we can deathride them for another year! (Pies' second and third round picks in 2022 would be even better.)

It should cost the Crows a full future first round pick (nothing back & nothing less) to move up two. If they don't understand that we can sell #2 to a club behind them for more than they offer, so they can be leapfrogged and won't get Callaghan even if we don't want him, then ... they deserve what they get (or don't get!).

Hawks should be a full first round pick or their two second round picks this year (starting picks #21 & #24). At #5, they could lose access to both Callaghan & Ward, who would be the best two options for them, so moving to #2 catapults them into getting the best midfielder after Daicos & JHF, so they should pay for that privilege (more than a lousy second round pick, that could be eaten up by a late-teens bid on Fahey). I can see they wouldn't want to give up a 2022 first round pick given they likely finish low on next year's table, but that should be the price.

Two second round picks this year would be an intriguing prospect for us, noting the article rightly points out our difficulty in trading players or free agents in, and needing to use the draft. Ending up with picks #5, #13, #21, #24 and the later picks gives some flexibility around selections, with a lot of the early second round picks being as highly rated in some quarters as mid first round picks. Plus we have some insurance at dealing with a Fahey bid in the late teens. If Mac Andrew is our prime target, then Callaghan/Hawks, Gibcus/Suns, Ward or Erasmus/Crows would allow us to grab Andrew; then after "best available" at #13 (let's assume a running midfielder such as Tyler Sonsie, Mitch Owens or Mitch Knevitt), we could potentially grab a KPD (Rhett Bazzo, Leek Alleer) and a small forward (Judson Clarke, who is potentially a better balanced small forward than Rachele). Worst case we have to pay for Fahey and get only one of those; it would still be OK. And we could also trade #13 for a future first round pick - West Coast or St Kilda might be keen to do a trade that is relatively even in value.
For me I think Sinn is the ideal guy at #13 offers plenty of speed and kicking ability could join the wing/half back rotation plus has some midfield ability if needed down the line. We can never have enough speed and if it wasn't for the injuries he had this year he could've been drafted a lot higher, I'm really in on him. Of course if they trade back up with this pick then we're talking about a different tier of player if we get back into the top 10.

For me I think Sinn is the ideal guy at #13 offers plenty of speed and kicking ability could join the wing/half back rotation plus has some midfield ability if needed down the line. We can never have enough speed and if it wasn't for the injuries he had this year he could've been drafted a lot higher, I'm really in on him.
You can certainly add Josh Sinn to the mix of options at #13. I guess I am just a little worried about his injuries, but there's certainly something to be said about his capabilities when fit.

If we did that scenario, then arguably, adding a developmental ruck/forward, speedy winger, KPD & small forward this year would plug most of the perceived gaps in our list; plus Fahey as a rebounding defender as an added bonus. Our only issue would be not having capacity to play them all, and hence losing guys in the future for lack of playing time.

I honestly don't think that scenario will come to pass, but it is nice to dream.

You can certainly add Josh Sinn to the mix of options at #13. I guess I am just a little worried about his injuries, but there's certainly something to be said about his capabilities when fit.
I mean one was a hamstring strain (first soft tissue injury he's had) and the other was an ankle roll that was pretty unavoidable, not a massive cause for concern

If we did that scenario, then arguably, adding a developmental ruck/forward, speedy winger, KPD & small forward this year would plug most of the perceived gaps in our list; plus Fahey as a rebounding defender as an added bonus. Our only issue would be not having capacity to play them all, and hence losing guys in the future for lack of playing time.

I honestly don't think that scenario will come to pass, but it is nice to dream.
A Sinn, Ash and Whitfield combo off half back would be really strong all offering good run and carry and plus ball use mixed in with Cumming, Perryman and potentially Fahey that's one of the best wing/half back rotations in the comp imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully we don't make the trade on the ezzendon mock draft,
2,2022r2 for 7,15.
It seems autocorrect stuffed up the name, who cares. Is it just me, or am I taking this mock draft trade too seriously.

Hopefully we don't make the trade on the ezzendon mock draft,
2,2022r2 for 7,15.
It seems autocorrect stuffed up the name, who cares. Is it just me, or am I taking this mock draft trade too seriously.
Possibly. Other clubs' supporters are likely to undersell the cost it would take to move up to pick #2. There'd be no change from & & 15 ... unless McCartney is feeling overly generous.

Josh Fahey tearing it up solo in Canberra

Josh Fahey is a medium defender who has impressed wherever possible in recent years, winning (among other things) best afield for the NAB AFL Academy against Geelong’s VFL side in April this year.

He’s aware of his chances of pulling on an AFL jumper next season and is determined to achieve elite status. But, wisely, he’s taking it one step at a time.

“My main goal for the year was to get into the combine and then after that, the draft,” he said.

“Motivation’s been a bit tough [due to COVID], but it isn’t something new. Last year was a bit hard at times because we didn’t know what was going to happen. Now I’m not playing footy or training to play, I’m just training to be the best player I can be…I think it’s about being ready at all times.”

Fahey has been working with Scott Smith, high performance coach for the GIANTS Academy, up to four times a week to improve his strength, speed and aerobic capacity.

It’s clearly paying off for him. Despite having a lengthy stint off running due to a foot injury earlier this year, Fahey managed a 5:59 for his two-kilometre run. Only three other players nationally went sub-six minutes.

“I just ran as hard as I could for two kilometres, really,” Fahey said of his result. “Running’s one of the strengths in my game. Being able to outrun others and go that extra five kilometres during the last quarter when some players that don’t do the work, or just think it’s going to be easy, can’t get through it.”

The challenge for Fahey was beyond the physical. With athletics tracks closed in Canberra due to COVID, Fahey admits he searched Canberra for a week to find the best surface. He settled on a synthetic athletics pitch and would hit the track alone without a crowd, a pacer or a coach.

Now the time trial box is ticked, Fahey can focus on finishing Year 12. But there’s plenty more on with his 18th, his sister’s and his aunt’s birthday falling between now and draft, as well as his Year 12 formal.

“At the moment my goal’s just to get that Year 12 certificate finished and enjoy school for the next three weeks,” he said. “November’s going to be a very busy month but also an enjoyable one and an exciting one.”

Josh sounds like a very hard-working but level-headed kid. Great qualities in a young man - irrespective of whether he's trying get drafted or just be an upstanding member of society.
His 2km time is really impressive has the makings of someone that can really wear opponents out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back