List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

The more boards that come out the more comfortable I feel with Fahey not being taken before pick 13m general consensus on him seems to have him ranked past 20. Of course some teams might have him ranked higher but I feel pretty good at this point that we're going to be able to walk away with 3 really quality players.

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The more boards that come out the more comfortable I feel with Fahey not being taken before pick 13m general consensus on him seems to have him ranked past 20. Of course some teams might have him ranked higher but I feel pretty good at this point that we're going to be able to walk away with 3 really quality players.
The more I think
Rachele should be in our sights

Cameron_Jezza

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
I hope so too. I also think given the possible desperate need to rebuild at Geelong we could become involved. Perhaps trade 16, cogs for Geelong 2022r1.
Or if Flynn wants to leave, add him to the trade above and We get back our 2021r2 ( pick 32). I hope he wants to stay, the issue will be if Flynn and/or Briggs think we might just play Pruess as a lone Ruckman next year ( or if someone offers much better dollars of course)
Any other ideas would be appreciated on how to help Geelong, we are trying hard to come up with trade ideas on our board but we don't have much currency ( other than retrospectively not signing Jeremy Cameron last year, instead waiting till this year). It's getting pretty boring , so help would be appreciated. I assume you don't want to bring Gary Rohan back to Sydney?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Any other ideas would be appreciated on how to help Geelong, we are trying hard to come up with trade ideas on our board but we don't have much currency ( other than retrospectively not signing Jeremy Cameron last year, instead waiting till this year). It's getting pretty boring , so help would be appreciated. I assume you don't want to bring Gary Rohan back to Sydney?
yeah we are good thanks. This is what you get when you go all in for 1 year.
Appreciate the effort though.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS

We gave Geelong options in the trade period when we were negotiating the Jeremy Cameron deal. But you didn't want to part with a young 'star' such as Clark, Narkle etc who in hindsight might leave you guys for much less than what we were offering and you could have saved yourselves picks in last years draft. You had your chance and now it seems you must take your medicine. I actually wouldn't mind if the Giants traded out pick #13 for a future first for next year and a seconder (preferably before our Fahey pick) this year but I doubt Geelong has anything of interest to us. Geelong might need to start thinking about playing some youth instead of playing players 32+ at the very back end of their careers.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Unlike others, I am not keen on Finlayson departing GWS. While I accept that he's no star and wasn't in our best 22 at the end of this season, I actually rate his level of ability - indeed, I would say in pure skills he's better than HH, Zac Sproule and Jake Riccardi. It is, and always has been, the mental side of his game that has let him down - and yes, that's a critical part of any player's make-up. (I'd love to have Zac Sproule's determination in Finlayson!) I would hope that his recent fatherhood might provide a perspective that helps him to grow over the next couple of years, be more patient, accept his role in the team, and blossom. If he could kick 45-50 goals a year regularly, and tackle and compete when he doesn't have the ball, and not spit the dummy when things don't fall his way, then he would be well worthy of a spot up front in the team.

However, it would seem not to be in our control - it will come down to ToJ, his partner, and the Port Adelaide Football club as to whether he heads interstate. My regret would be that we're unlikely to get a decent return for him - Port don't have anything between 16 & 60 this year, and 60 would be a poor return for him. We could only hope, in that case, for a future pick that is better.

Unlike others, I am not keen on Finlayson departing GWS. While I accept that he's no star and wasn't in our best 22 at the end of this season, I actually rate his level of ability - indeed, I would say in pure skills he's better than HH, Zac Sproule and Jake Riccardi. It is, and always has been, the mental side of his game that has let him down - and yes, that's a critical part of any player's make-up. (I'd love to have Zac Sproule's determination in Finlayson!) I would hope that his recent fatherhood might provide a perspective that helps him to grow over the next couple of years, be more patient, accept his role in the team, and blossom. If he could kick 45-50 goals a year regularly, and tackle and compete when he doesn't have the ball, and not spit the dummy when things don't fall his way, then he would be well worthy of a spot up front in the team.

However, it would seem not to be in our control - it will come down to ToJ, his partner, and the Port Adelaide Football club as to whether he heads interstate. My regret would be that we're unlikely to get a decent return for him - Port don't have anything between 16 & 60 this year, and 60 would be a poor return for him. We could only hope, in that case, for a future pick that is better.
In an ideal world you'd like to keep someone like Finlayson, uber talented skills wise. he has work rate and attention to details has deficiencies, but virtually all players have some deficiencies.
If he would like ot be close to support for his wife and family that is reasonable and if he does go, well it is a minor setback, but still a setback IMO;

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
[

if he could kick 45-50 goals a year he would be a different player

he cant

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
[

if he could kick 45-50 goals a year he would be a different player

he cant
No, that's wrong.

In 2019 he kicked 44 goals at a rate of 1.9 goals per game.

This year, he only had half that number of games, and kicked at a rate of 1.8 goals per game.

So even with his noted deficiencies, he's capable of kicking around that 45 goal mark per season if he plays the whole season. If he could improve his mindset (and I'm assuming the club has worked hard on this aspect, so I acknowledge it is a big ''if''), he should be able to get 45-50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Shipley and Hutchesson delisted - again, not unexpected. Maybe Shipley could be a chance to get re-selected in the PSSP, or even just get recruited into the VFL squad, although the announcement doesn't appear to give any sniff that way. I'm not expecting any clubs to come after either of them.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
I haven't seen an official announcement on Phil Davis yet ... I think? There was a report that's he'd signed for another year, but has there been any confirmation?

Yep Herald Sun went with Phil re-signing but maybe Phil might have graduated to the group of guys who don't get officially announced when they re-sign or we might hear something at the B&F.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Well things all seem to be panning out as expected .... I do hope we keep TOJ but realize he needs to do what’s best for him. Finn, ???, and Fahey will be good additions in place of the 4 delisted So an overall upgrade on our list

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well things all seem to be panning out as expected .... I do hope we keep TOJ but realize he needs to do what’s best for him. Finn, ???, and Fahey will be good additions in place of the 4 delisted do and overall ungraded on our list
Hmmm, going as planned ... that gives me cause for concern!! :think:

Hmmm, going as planned ... that gives me cause for concern!! :think:
I dont think an offseason has ever gone as smoothly as this , at least not for a long time.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Sounds like the club is making some very practical yet hard decisions.

I remember the FIFA competition between Shippers and Buckley a few years ago, such a funny video and he came across as a lovely kid. Hutch had no luck with his body at all.

Hope they get another opportunity and if not find good alternate careers.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Sounds like the club is making some very practical yet hard decisions.

I remember the FIFA competition between Shippers and Buckley a few years ago, such a funny video and he came across as a lovely kid. Hutch had no luck with his body at all.

Hope they get another opportunity and if not find good alternate careers.

If Shippers can't get a gig at another club wouldn't mind us signing him up as part of our VFL squad

If Shippers can't get a gig at another club wouldn't mind us signing him up as part of our VFL squad
That is likely I would think

Over time more and more of our players will do this, and we'll end up with a mix of ex listed players, the better academy kids and our reggies making up that team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back