Banter 2021 Off-Topic Chat Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wtf big fire in Apollo Bay, cafe/restaurant burned down.

Love AB. Hope everyone is ok down there.
I thought of you when I heard the story

Two eateries were destroyed by fire in Apollo Bay Wednesday morning.

The adjoining Apollo Surf Coast Chinese restaurant and fish and chip shop were razed according to the Country Fire Authority.

It said firefighters were called to Collingwood St, on the Great Ocean Road opposite the foreshore, at 3.17am.

1618359038136.jpeg

This is all I know

Apollo Bay Sergeant Damian Bould said asked people to avoid the area if possible as the investigation and recovery process is expected to “take some time”.

“Several shops have been impacted and about 20 people evacuated from the Apollo Bay Comfort Motor Inn,” he said.

“Fortunately no one has been injured . Causation is yet to be determined.”

Anyone with information should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

---

Now back to the course (day 1 traffic management)

I'll check it out

Today was day 1 of learning how to hold & operate a stop/slow bat

Sounds like fun. Does it need to be perfectly vertical when holding it or can it be on a slight angle? Also, is there a recommended speed to move the sign from stop to slow and back again?

Sounds like fun. Does it need to be perfectly vertical when holding it or can it be on a slight angle? Also, is there a recommended speed to move the sign from stop to slow and back again?

There is actually correct ways to hold the sign

When you're standing on the side of the road, using your left hand you hold the sign on the "slow" side you should hold it at roughly a 45c angle

Then when you change it to stop you keep it at the same angle until the car/s have come to a stop, and once stopped you walk out to the middle of the lane, still in your left hand hold the sign vertical and you use your right hand to signal "stop”

It's also important to not stand with your back to either the vehicles or the worksite as you need to try to keep as clearer vision of both as possible. So the recommendation is to stand side on so that you just have to turn your neck & head left/right to keep an eye on what's happening, and also why they recommend holding the bat in your left hand as your less likely to twist your body & thus the sign if you need to head check

Important to not change the sign from 'stop' to 'slow' when you're standing in the middle of the lane - you may get run over, and ensure you have an escape plan for the instances where the car isn't stopping & you need to take evasive action

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is actually correct ways to hold the sign

When you're standing on the side of the road, using your left hand you hold the sign on the "slow" side you should hold it at roughly a 45c angle

Then when you change it to stop you keep it at the same angle until the car/s have come to a stop, and once stopped you walk out to the middle of the lane, still in your left hand hold the sign vertical and you use your right hand to signal "stop”

It's also important to not stand with your back to either the vehicles or the worksite as you need to try to keep as clearer vision of both as possible. So the recommendation is to stand side on so that you just have to turn your neck & head left/right to keep an eye on what's happening, and also why they recommend holding the bat in your left hand as your less likely to twist your body & thus the sign if you need to head check

Important to not change the sign from 'stop' to 'slow' when you're standing in the middle of the lane - you may get run over, and ensure you have an escape plan for the instances where the car isn't stopping & you need to take evasive action
Some rough types in there cats09?
Always has been whenever I've done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back