VFL 2021 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Or that Byrnes played a really good game 1st back and Clav done all he was asked in the back halve
Personally think Wilkie is terribly out of form, he’s double clutching a lot of marks and looks jittery compared to the last 24 months. Probably due to the ease and speed with which the ball is going down there but he would be under the pump. Carlisle also looked slow and hampered by injury last week, so spots might be available for Clavarino sooner than he thinks.

Or that Byrnes played a really good game 1st back and Clav done all he was asked in the back halve
I’m sure they played well but it doesn’t change the standard. Byrnes will probably the week after next especially is we have a shocker against port. Think clav needs a few good ones before he can be considered. Surely Carlisle deserves to have a whole game at chb once we get our rucks back.

Personally think Wilkie is terribly out of form, he’s double clutching a lot of marks and looks jittery compared to the last 24 months. Probably due to the ease and speed with which the ball is going down there but he would be under the pump. Carlisle also looked slow and hampered by injury last week, so spots might be available for Clavarino sooner than he thinks.
I reckon he's been pretty good given the circumstances, imagine trying to defend Richmond last week with an avalanche of forward 50 entries - 64 the tigers had and 18 inside 50 tackles.

We don't have a better player sitting around at sandy ready to replace Wilkie, I can think of about 10 others I'd drop first.

I've put together a video of Clavarino's plays for those interested. There are a few quick plays which would be shepherds if you can spot them. Two not so clean handballs, but he can definitely find targets by foot. A couple of spoils, a bunch of contests and intercepts, and a couple of soft Tigers ducking for frees.

Going through the match again it was easy to see when he was on the bench because he covered the ground so well and made 90% of the backline contests. He was hungry. It's hard to see from the video quality but it looks like he was directing teammates too. I've read one poster's comments on Clav's lack of ground level ability, well that comment seemed like nonsense from what I saw in this match. I just hope we're putting considerable development into this kid, he has a few skills!

The video quality isn't the best, it's just what Richmond Media streamed it at (thanks to them). But who doesn't use at least 1080p these days, seriously?!

He's number 38, tall guy with Gehrig style shorts...

Last edited:
I've put together a video of Clavarino's plays for those interested. There are a few quick plays which would be shepherds if you can spot them. Two not so clean handballs, but he can definitely find targets by foot. A couple of spoils, a bunch of contests and intercepts, and a couple of soft Tigers ducking for frees.

Going through the match again it was easy to see when he was on the bench because he covered the ground so well and made 90% of the backline contests. He was hungry. It's hard to see from the video quality but it looks like he was directing teammates too. I've read one poster's comments on Clav's lack of ground level ability, well that comment seemed like nonsense from what I saw in this match. I just hope we're putting considerable development into this kid, he has a few skills!

The video quality isn't the best, it's just what Richmond Media streamed it at (thanks to them). But who doesn't use at least 1080p these days, seriously?!

Dropped a couple uncontested early but his marking was great in the second half. Would love to see him do that again this week and put pressure on Snake, Wilkie and co.

Legend, thanks for posting.

Some really good signs in that video. His intercept marking was impressive considering most were taken on Coleman-Jones in one on ones.

Hopefully he can continue that form into next week.

Plenty to like there

Is that his first time in named amongst the best?
It sure looked like a good day for practising those intercept marks.

Best on for us IMO. The number of quality entries the Tigers had, I don't think Clav was ever beaten in the air. His positioning was very good, and once he won the ball his distribution by foot was excellent too. He got caught behind his man from two quick Tiger kicks out of a pack, a bit unluckly there.

Best on for us IMO. The number of quality entries the Tigers had, I don't think Clav was ever beaten in the air. His positioning was very good, and once he won the ball his distribution by foot was excellent too. He got caught behind his man from two quick Tiger kicks out of a pack, a bit unluckly there.
Legend!! Thanks so much for the post and highlights vid. A nice little bit to feed some optimism. Looked very impressive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great stuff. Looks fit too and liked his kicking. Impressive, thanks so much for posting

Some have said Clav looks slow , in the vid his closing speed looks fine to me , lets hope he can put together a few good ones and get a run at it , he is just what we need now as the cupboard is pretty bare

Some have said Clav looks slow , in the vid his closing speed looks fine to me , lets hope he can put together a few good ones and get a run at it , he is just what we need now as the cupboard is pretty bare
Have seen him play a bit and his speed is fine

McKernan is what he's always been.
At AFL level as a forward , he's had games where he gets 5 touches and no score.
He's had others where he has 15 and 4 goals.

Can probably say the same thing about Wood.

Yep, that is both of them. Mc Kernan I had hopes that he'd find consistency but he's still all over the shop. Wood was one of footy's great teases, on his day he looks potentially elite but most of the time he looks potentially a VFL player. In the preseason games he had one of his blinders only to never be seen again. Sums up his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back