• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

This builds resntment amongst existing players on the list who all get told about our list profile and how they fit in playing and salary wise. Its not something we will do as a club. I wonder out aloud about the reasons for st kilda's performance this weekend. Quite a few mercenaries who went there for the money. You get what u pay for
It does when they have been consistently told that they need to sacrifice for the betterment of the list. We have a pay structure we will not compromise it for one player.

I don’t buy that. I run a business - sometimes you do have to overpay someone external to improve the business. Most people understand that and so long as internal high achievers are properly rewarded and there is transparency about growth and improvement, it does not build resentment at all. Any player worth keeping will want the team / business to succeed. Overpaying existing underperformers who don’t pull their weight gets you nowhere. The minimum salary cap forces weaker lists to do one or the other
Yes but u will not pay him 200k more than anyone else. It would build resentment whether u believe it or not its human

It does when they have been consistently told that they need to sacrifice for the betterment of the list. We have a pay structure we will not compromise it for one player.
I agree when you’re dealing with a successful group that has made sacrifices for sustained success (kicking our champions Mitchell Lewis and Hodge out could not have been good for morale). But that is not the case with our current group. To the contrary this current group has had no success and we have been hearing about front loading contracts for 3-4 years now. Deciding not to improve a list that hasn’t won a final in 5 years because some players *might* be resentful if quality players come in is ridiculous. If that’s their attitude toward team improvement, we are better without them.

I agree when you’re dealing with a successful group that has made sacrifices for sustained success (kicking our champions Mitchell Lewis and Hodge out could not have been good for morale). But that is not the case with our current group. To the contrary this current group has had no success and we have been hearing about front loading contracts for 3-4 years now. Deciding not to improve a list that hasn’t won a final in 5 years because some players *might* be resentful if quality players come in is ridiculous. If that’s their attitude toward team improvement, we are better without them.
I'm sort of with both of you.

I remember seething when Angelo Lekkas came out publicly against the Hawks recruiting Nathan Brown, as it would be resented by the playing group (wanting higher salary themselves)...Our team at that time were a self-oriented, soft, rabble. I think it was Mark Evans who later described them as the most selfish players he'd ever seen.

However, I think any new guy's remuneration needs to be seen as reasonable and necessary by the playing group; that said player delivers something new, better, etc, and the new guy is being compensated accordingly.

A genuine gun will normally be well received as a win/win. A good player being horribly overpaid for doing something the other players can't see as any different to what they're already doing is probably not so well received

I'm sort of with both of you.

I remember seething when Angelo Lekkas came out publicly against the Hawks recruiting Nathan Brown, as it would be resented by the playing group (wanting higher salary themselves)...Our team at that time were a self-oriented, soft, rabble. I think it was Mark Evans who later described them as the most selfish players he'd ever seen.

However, I think any new guy's remuneration needs to be seen as reasonable and necessary by the playing group; that said player delivers something new, better, etc, and the new guy is being compensated accordingly.

A genuine gun will normally be well received as a win/win. A good player being horribly overpaid for doing something the other players can't see as any different to what they're already doing is probably not so well received

On that note I wonder how Bradley Hill and Hannebery are being received by their team mates. Both on massive coin, one is overweight, turning the ball over and playing like a 400k player. The other can’t even get on the ground. Horrible horrible list management by the saints

I had forgotten Lekkas’ public tantrum. Shocker. But yes that’s exactly my point - possibly upsetting a few individuals in a poor performing team can’t inform list management decisions. We are currently in similar territory list wise, having gone half a decade without a finals win. The focus needs to be on improvement. If a player like Merrett or Kelly became possible, they would compliment our midfield perfectly and we should pay the price. With the minimum cap requirement, that is much better than our recent approach of overpaying in trade capital than cash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On that note I wonder how Bradley Hill and Hannebery are being received by their team mates. Both on massive coin, one is overweight, turning the ball over and playing like a 400k player. The other can’t even get on the ground. Horrible horrible list management by the saints
You mean like Vickory, Patton and Scully?

And to a lesser degree O'Meara, who wouldn't have come for peanuts at the time, compared to proven premiership players taking unders to stay together, only to be kicked out at the end of their careers to help them make up for the unders they'd been playing for..........that kind horrible horrible list management?

Every club effs up - lets just not continue to do so by offering millions to a mid at this stage.

Mr Wright is gone so it will be interesting from now on out.

How so in your opinion ? We have as much cap room as anyone.
I think he means that we'd be constrained by our existing pay structure & so we'd be priced out by clubs willing to drop an extra $150kpa for him.

Not priced out in that we can't afford it (as such), more that we wouldn't do it.

I think he means that we'd be constrained by our existing pay structure & so we'd be priced out by clubs willing to drop an extra $150kpa for him.

Not priced out in that we can't afford it (as such), more that we wouldn't do it.

Yeah well I agree with that and until that structure changes we might not as well even open threads such as these.

Kelly interests me. His best was once topline. Merrett 4 me is a little bit too much like JOM so a no for me. No one else on the list I can see being available or suiting us given our current rebuilding time frame.

We'll probably have a lesser known player say an Impey type or a reclamation high draft pick type like Scrimshaw we are already targeting. It was harder 2 do that this year with lists sizes decreasing, hopefully going back to larger numbers post covid we'll have more spots .

I don't think we'll go after an older Hartigan or Frost type for a specific role they should give us the years needed til other younger players take their roles. The only exception might be for ruck depth.

Personally I think we'll have to make a substantial rise up the ladder in the next 24 months through shrewd drafting and internal player development before a big name FA will even think about us.
I think the internal player development is the real key here.

Sure the right player at the right time can help, but they have yet to be proven as the difference in every free agent deal, except for Lynch, so far.

If you have the projection of a bottom four side last season to finish 8-12 with the current group and the addition of a guy like Cripps, Merrett or Kelly put you in the top 4 with that same group you would be doing whatever you could to get whoever that person may be through the door.
The guys available are leaders and would only improve the standards at Hawthorn.

If you had the best version of the top 4 guys for 3 years and another 3 there after on their contract you would pay a million per season any day to keep competing at the top.
In 4 years from the current list of players possibly all listed may be gone.
McEvoy
Shiels
Gunston
Breust
Hartigan
Cegs
Brooksby
Hartley
Patton
Scully

I’d be paying someone otherwise we will be overpaying elsewhere

I wouldn't be looking to invest any resources into acquiring a player. If someone like Kelly or Merrett are available, and they cost you nothing but salary cap, you have to consider it. Both have the quality disposal and speed required to be different enough to our current midfielders that similarity doesn't become a problem. The only way that happens is if Essendon or GWS finish bottom 4 and get a guaranteed high compensation pick because otherwise I think they match looking for two first round picks.

I'm also not sure we're an attractive destination at this stage of our rebuild.

If we have to give up our first round picks I'd say no. We're at a very crucial part of our rebuild and we're coming up to a draft stacked with classy, quick midfielders. Rather than established players we should be focusing on getting two or first round picks and really hitting the draft.

If you have the projection of a bottom four side last season to finish 8-12 with the current group and the addition of a guy like Cripps, Merrett or Kelly put you in the top 4 with that same group you would be doing whatever you could to get whoever that person may be through the door.
The guys available are leaders and would only improve the standards at Hawthorn.

If you had the best version of the top 4 guys for 3 years and another 3 there after on their contract you would pay a million per season any day to keep competing at the top.
In 4 years from the current list of players possibly all listed may be gone.
McEvoy
Shiels
Gunston
Breust
Hartigan
Cegs
Brooksby
Hartley
Patton
Scully

I’d be paying someone otherwise we will be overpaying elsewhere
Phew! I'm pleased Burgoyne is still planning on being around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back