24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Sammy Hamill said this morning on SEN ‘another aggressive trade period’ for the saints, I think ratten said the same thing after the game on Sunday so expect a bit of action from the saints.
Look I like trades, it's done us well but I am worried that trading in any mids that aren't straight up A grade is just going to hinder us in the long run. Once you pay up big dollars for a player in the trade you're almost obligated to back them in. You don't get the luxury of benching them or delisting them or trading them on if they don't turn out. Brad Hill and Crouch are a good example. They've turned out well for us but there were periods of time that they were out of form and we just had to play them cause that's who we've invested in. I'd love to essentially only draft youth into the midfield this year and be forced to develop and play them, maybe one of the three steps up in their first year the way none of ours have in a few years. But if we bring in a shiny new B grade midfielder we'll be caught up in seeing them play and now our draftees are behind the new guy, Bytel, Byrnes, Hanners, Clark. At least with draftees there's no shame or harm in dropping them if they're not working out.

Look I like trades, it's done us well but I am worried that trading in any mids that aren't straight up A grade is just going to hinder us in the long run. Once you pay up big dollars for a player in the trade you're almost obligated to back them in. You don't get the luxury of benching them or delisting them or trading them on if they don't turn out. Brad Hill and Crouch are a good example. They've turned out well for us but there were periods of time that they were out of form and we just had to play them cause that's who we've invested in. I'd love to essentially only draft youth into the midfield this year and be forced to develop and play them, maybe one of the three steps up in their first year the way none of ours have in a few years. But if we bring in a shiny new B grade midfielder we'll be caught up in seeing them play and now our draftees are behind the new guy, Bytel, Byrnes, Hanners, Clark. At least with draftees there's no shame or harm in dropping them if they're not working out.
Ratts also said in his press conference we were going to go to the draft and we needed to bring in more young guys to surround those you mentioned.

We are probably being 'aggressive' in targeting the ruck/fwd we need or a key defender but aren't going in for a big haul again.

I can't see us being overly aggressive.

I think we take our first to the draft, make sure we have enough late picks for academy players and use whatever we get for our departing players to get a few needs through the door.

Maybe by aggressive we mean letting a couple of longer term players out the door?

It seems that the only two areas we need to focus on are a third ruck for Paddy's rest days and the midfield.

We have an increasingly stable backline with the chemistry between Howard, Wilkie, Webster and Sinclair improving back there. Hill helps enormously in providing an outlet when they get stuck, even if he occasionally makes a blue. We have taller optional key backs in Highmore, Joyce, Clavarino and Battle, all capable of improvement with a very good backline coach and more exposure in their roles. We have Paton to come back, maybe allowing Hill to go to a wing. BTW, Clavarino looks like he is just starting on a successful long-term career. He has a lot of core ingredients to like. And that's leaving Coffield out of that part of the ground.

Finding Sharman is an incredible bonus for our forward setup. We now have enough taller marking players, including a resting ruck for 5-10 ins per quarter, and smalls to cover the forward half with flexible options according to the opposition, ground, weather conditions etc. Gresh will be a huge bonus up there too.

So apart from the obvious extra ruck that leaves the midfield. We really only lack a fast, skillful mid. There are a number of players who should improve to rotate through with Steele, Crouch, Jones and Bytel. They include Hunter C, Byrnes, maybe Gresh, Connolly, Long and Coff at times, possibly Battle when grunt is required. (Note some left out in the expectation that if they are still there they aren't first choice.)

I know various posters rate our list into A grade etc, but I don't think that's always valid because good, clever coaches make a critical difference to how a lot of players go about their footy. Where they are played, for what role and how they see their own performance and how to prepare for the next contest. I think we have many players who are capable of being much better. Sinclair is a prime example. He has been one of our most reliable and important players this year. What clicked into place for that to happen? Don't know but self belief would have been in there somewhere. Someone deserves credit for that and my money is on Ratts. With better line coaching support and further refinements to our game plan and fewer injuries allowing continuity we've got a pot to look forward to.

we need a proper full back as well.

Being aggressive doen't mean we will draft anyone.

It just might be 'hey kents, we want Dunkley, Parker, Ben King and Taranto but for 2nd rounders'. Now thats aggressive.

How many do you think we land though?

It just might be 'hey kents, we want Dunkley, Parker, Ben King and Taranto but for 2nd rounders'. Now thats aggressive.

All 4?

Sent from my SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tom browne tweet in 5...4...3...2

I try not to listen to what Dunstall says about us. He's very, very rarely complimentary.

Sunday's Fox call was like listening to a "hit purple for Dockers commentary" thing.

I reckon Dunstall is usually very complimentary towards the Saints. He's just about the best special comments man going around in my book.

can imagine that clown trawling the BigFooty forum club boards for any tips, probably the AFL Whisperer

cVfS601.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back