24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

I don’t think Cerra is what we need right now. Last few off seasons we spent up and brought in Crouch, Jones and Hannebery. All year the debate of Bytel vs Dunstan and whether we move Hunter Clark into midfield minutes went on all the while Gresham was out injured. Cerra looks good without having been great and right now if Marshal goes down we are ****ed. Ryder can’t play all 22 games and Paul Hunter isn’t really AFL quality.

We can’t go spending a lot of our trade/draft currency on a young mid. Only way it would happen would be a Collingwood-Treloar scenario of getting pushed out at a discount price.

Long was pretty good in his own way just can’t find the ball, but we have some good options we need to add youth and targeted pieces.
I agree with that and personally I don't think you throw away a player with his set of attributes without trying everything. Last year he player lose in defense and did very well, well enough to be given that roll for a second year you'd think, but WTF do I know.

I just wonder that if he doesn't have to get his own ball then it would utilize his positive abilities much better..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with that and personally I don't think you throw away a player with his set of attributes without trying everything. Last year he player lose in defense and did very well, well enough to be given that roll for a second year you'd think, but WTF do I know.

I just wonder that if he doesn't have to get his own ball then it would utilize his positive abilities much better..
I’d play him as a mid if he’s at sandy let him run loose or if a senior mid is on the opposition then have him tag. He can do everything except find the ball, plus more ball more confidence and often decision making improves.

Sam Petrevski-Seton will be in the trade because Fremantle want him and they will get there first round draft pick and take Jordon Clark from Geelong with it.
Pick six for cerra and petrevski-seton is overs but who cares, I draw the line at Geelong getting a first rounder for Jordan clark. Billings is worth 3 first rounders if that’s how this game is played, the afl should pony up. Do we have anybody to flog to Fremantle 🤔

Pick six for cerra and petrevski-seton is overs but who cares, I draw the line at Geelong getting a first rounder for Jordan clark. Billings is worth 3 first rounders if that’s how this game is played, the afl should pony up. Do we have anybody to flog to Fremantle 🤔
Lets sell them Blank Anchors again

You also have to remember that next year (God willing) our midfield will regain the little fella who wears number four. Gresh adds a completely different dynamic to our midfield, and it’s easy to forget that he’s a legitimate match winner. Like, literally winning close matches off his own boot. In fact, I think the impact of his absence has been completely underestimated, particularly in the media. Imagine having him available for games like the Adelaide debacle this year. Someone who can swing momentum due to moments of individual brilliance.

Get him back into that match winning fwd/mid role that he has excelled at, and we’re a different beast in 2022.

It seems that the only two areas we need to focus on are a third ruck for Paddy's rest days and the midfield.

We have an increasingly stable backline with the chemistry between Howard, Wilkie, Webster and Sinclair improving back there. Hill helps enormously in providing an outlet when they get stuck, even if he occasionally makes a blue. We have taller optional key backs in Highmore, Joyce, Clavarino and Battle, all capable of improvement with a very good backline coach and more exposure in their roles. We have Paton to come back, maybe allowing Hill to go to a wing. BTW, Clavarino looks like he is just starting on a successful long-term career. He has a lot of core ingredients to like. And that's leaving Coffield out of that part of the ground.

Finding Sharman is an incredible bonus for our forward setup. We now have enough taller marking players, including a resting ruck for 5-10 ins per quarter, and smalls to cover the forward half with flexible options according to the opposition, ground, weather conditions etc. Gresh will be a huge bonus up there too.

So apart from the obvious extra ruck that leaves the midfield. We really only lack a fast, skillful mid. There are a number of players who should improve to rotate through with Steele, Crouch, Jones and Bytel. They include Hunter C, Byrnes, maybe Gresh, Connolly, Long and Coff at times, possibly Battle when grunt is required. (Note some left out in the expectation that if they are still there they aren't first choice.)

I know various posters rate our list into A grade etc, but I don't think that's always valid because good, clever coaches make a critical difference to how a lot of players go about their footy. Where they are played, for what role and how they see their own performance and how to prepare for the next contest. I think we have many players who are capable of being much better. Sinclair is a prime example. He has been one of our most reliable and important players this year. What clicked into place for that to happen? Don't know but self belief would have been in there somewhere. Someone deserves credit for that and my money is on Ratts. With better line coaching support and further refinements to our game plan and fewer injuries allowing continuity we've got a pot to look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back