Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We have Witherden Robinson CEY and possibly Lester off our books frees up quite a bit
Not sure even if combined that would allow us to target anyone of note. Witho's salary would be reduced anyhow, and the other two would be on bellow AFL average anyhow. Also list spots would need to be filled with minimum contracts so that would eat up a bit.

Not even being considered.

Dunno about that...I'd say there would be some consideration if our past draft/trade selections under Fages are anything to go by, we are very much into setting up a supportive environment around our players (best mates & family.)

We have Witherden Robinson CEY and possibly Lester off our books frees up quite a bit
Nah, chump change there. Losing those contacts would hardly change a thing.

People have to remember that re-signing or upgrading younger players to larger contracts cost a hell of a lot more than losing these fringe contracts.

Lloydy is always spot on with his assessment of teams.😂
Your so right. I've watched Lloyd's reviews all year on a Monday or when ever they review the round. The Lions often get a quick mention, sometimes none, and more often it's about the victorian team we played. I think if you asked Lloyd which team he knew the least about he would say the Lions. (he always talks about the King boys so has an interest in the Suns). His view of Payne being brought in, well the kid doesn't play as a forward, yep he was going to bring the ball to ground and he can take a pack mark but he was injured early before we even got to see how he might go. Going into next year, or later next year with McStay, Rayner, Hipwood and a new or developing ruck/forward our centre half forward line will be quite different from the one that played in the finals. i think a fully fit forward line is good enough.

Our midfield defence and especially our consistency in tackling week to week is the real issue and with Zorko, Neale, Lyons who may become a little more consistent in defensive pressure, we cant really argue we will improve with young player development. How do we stop the 3rd qtr surge of Melbourne? when the inevitable change in momentum comes in matches we need to be able to flick the defensive switch for 10 or so minutes. as it is now our midfield can be training cones for periods.

A little more from AFL site today on the Fort interest from the Lions

GEELONG'S thin ruck stocks could take another hit with Brisbane one of the clubs coming for Darcy Fort.

The 26-year-old Fort is considering his options after failing to break through for a game this season and playing only eight matches since making his debut in 2019.

Fort had issues with his right knee throughout the pre-season but even after returning to fitness the Cats preferred to play the versatile Rhys Stanley, Mark Blicavs and Esava Ratugolea in the ruck.

"Darcy, we're looking at opportunities for him. He's contracted so if Geelong say no, then they say no,” player manager and former Essendon star Scott Lucas told Continental Tyres AFL Trade Radio.

"But if a club are open to a discussion elsewhere and it can work for both parties then we're always looking to explore."

When asked whether Brisbane might be a realistic option for Fort, his manager Lucas said, "There has been some interest".

"Rhys Stanley has signed an extension and we look at that pragmatically. Clearly they're pleased with what Rhys is doing," Lucas added.

"Darcy didn't play a game this year for Geelong, so therefore you do have a look around. There is still a fair bit of work to do but we're hopeful."

Yeah alright I forgot about Witherden’s money, Robbo and Lester would be close to the minimum and CEY money has probably already gone to our young guys that have extended.

I know it won't happen, but I'd be up for trading out our two first rounders + for Grundy, if Collingwood pays some his contract.

Collingwood is still in salary cap trouble apparently, could help out both of us.

I know it won't happen, but I'd be up for trading out our two first rounders + for Grundy, if Collingwood pays some his contract.

Collingwood is still in salary cap trouble apparently, could help out both of us.

Doubt that would ever work. I don't know how his contract is structured but $7m over 7 years...Collingwood would have to pay a large chunk to make it workable for us I would of thought.

Last edited:
More Fort information i was unaware of
link to full article below

Darcy Fort is officially the 2021 Geelong VFL Best & Fairest winner, polling 102 votes from all nine of Geelong’s VFL games for the 2021 season.

Fort had a fantastic year as one of the competition’s premiere rucks, averaging 18.8 disposals, 20 hitouts and 5.6 clearances per game.

His combination of outstanding ruck-work and strong contested marking up forward showcased just how skilled he is through the contest and in the air.

A little more from AFL site today on the Fort interest from the Lions

GEELONG'S thin ruck stocks could take another hit with Brisbane one of the clubs coming for Darcy Fort.

The 26-year-old Fort is considering his options after failing to break through for a game this season and playing only eight matches since making his debut in 2019.

Fort had issues with his right knee throughout the pre-season but even after returning to fitness the Cats preferred to play the versatile Rhys Stanley, Mark Blicavs and Esava Ratugolea in the ruck.

"Darcy, we're looking at opportunities for him. He's contracted so if Geelong say no, then they say no,” player manager and former Essendon star Scott Lucas told Continental Tyres AFL Trade Radio.

"But if a club are open to a discussion elsewhere and it can work for both parties then we're always looking to explore."

When asked whether Brisbane might be a realistic option for Fort, his manager Lucas said, "There has been some interest".

"Rhys Stanley has signed an extension and we look at that pragmatically. Clearly they're pleased with what Rhys is doing," Lucas added.

"Darcy didn't play a game this year for Geelong, so therefore you do have a look around. There is still a fair bit of work to do but we're hopeful."

Given his motivation to leave is to look for more opportunity, I wonder if we have a larger role in mind for him than reserve ruckman that only comes in if Oscar gets injured.

Darcy Fort season 2021

GameTeamOppositionYearRoundNumberPositionKicksHandballsDisposalsMarksHitoutsTacklesScoreboardFantasy
gee.png
Geelong VFL
kan.png
North Melbourne VFL
2021R128C8101801700.0061
gee.png
Geelong VFL
syd.png
Sydney Swans
2021R328C1071712330.0079
gee.png
Geelong VFL
nba.png
Northern Bullants
2021R428CHF14142882511.06124
gee.png
Geelong VFL
csy.png
Casey Demons
2021R528WR1241651961.06107
gee.png
Geelong VFL
cob.png
Coburg Lions
2021R628HFFL14102481711.28115
gee.png
Geelong VFL
brl.png
Brisbane Lions
2021R1128HFFL6101631902.01279
gee.png
Geelong VFL
ess.png
Essendon VFL
2021R1228WL1392252230.00101
gee.png
Geelong VFL
wil.png
Williamstown
2021R1328WR471103230.0068

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy Fort season 2021

GameTeamOppositionYearRoundNumberPositionKicksHandballsDisposalsMarksHitoutsTacklesScoreboardFantasy
gee.png
Geelong VFL
kan.png
North Melbourne VFL
2021R128C8101801700.0061
gee.png
Geelong VFL
syd.png
Sydney Swans
2021R328C1071712330.0079
gee.png
Geelong VFL
nba.png
Northern Bullants
2021R428CHF14142882511.06124
gee.png
Geelong VFL
csy.png
Casey Demons
2021R528WR1241651961.06107
gee.png
Geelong VFL
cob.png
Coburg Lions
2021R628HFFL14102481711.28115
gee.png
Geelong VFL
brl.png
Brisbane Lions
2021R1128HFFL6101631902.01279
gee.png
Geelong VFL
ess.png
Essendon VFL
2021R1228WL1392252230.00101
gee.png
Geelong VFL
wil.png
Williamstown
2021R1328WR471103230.0068
What are with some of those position codes??

He played as a wide receiver for a few games.

Given his motivation to leave is to look for more opportunity, I wonder if we have a larger role in mind for him than reserve ruckman that only comes in if Oscar gets injured.
Agreed, I struggle to see a role for him once Hipwood is back but until that point he and Fullarton would be fighting it out for that last forward/ruck spot.

I can see Fagan going Fort/Oscar sharing duties
Depending who coaches think can get back in defense better
Cox & Levi would only be F/R i imagine
What are with some of those position codes??

He played as a wide receiver for a few games.
Have no idea that is the only place i could find some VFL stats that you could search for a player
EDIT: WR i imagine is -Wing Right. but who know who puts the position in.
HFFL- Half forward flank left

Last edited:
Fort is clearly the best option out of him, Cox and Casboult.

We need a backup ruck moreso than a part time forward, part time ruck.

He’s also a different type of ruck to Oscar. They can split their time rucking and forward.

More than happy to give a third rounder for him.

“They had to bring in Jack Payne so it says to me their depth is an issue in the finals series”.

What does this mean??

He thinks Payne is a last option type?

He was talking about injuries to Hipwood and McStay and bringing in Payne as the replacement.

While I have wanted to see Payne play forward for some time now, Do you really think we would bring in key defender to play his first game as a key forward in a semi final if we had any other option?

Some of the crap that gets dished out by Vic journos is incredible.

We should have played in a grand final by now, we've blown finals, could also be spun as boy they've come on in leaps & bounds & overperformed since winning the wooden spoon in 2017.

I guess Lloyd knows a bit about blowing finals though.

The bit that made me chuckle is that it has to be 2022 for the Lions. Give me a spell you plonker.

I actually think 2021 was our best year in recent times given our trying circumstances with injury. Improvement driven by the development of some of our younger players.

Lloyd's statement is spot on in relation to Brisbane. I could not have said it better. We have many concerns to fix to take the ultimate step but to do little during the Trade Period is not going to fix anything. Putting cheap Band Aids on our issues is stupid. All in All, the Club has poorly managed the cap and it is disappointing. I think Melbourne will win next years premiership already so we need to keep building otherwise our chance will diminish.

What about the improvement is Starc, Bailey, Oscar, Rayner, Clugg, Kiddy etc? We are young so internal improvement is a massive factor.

Also - Melbourne had no injuries, they weren't hunted, their bottom 6 players played out of the skin and they got hot. There is no guarantee they back it up - they will face far more adversity next year.

It sounds like you have copied and paste this year and said 'the same will occur'.

The reason we are looking at a cheap tall is pretty obvious and makes sense. All good teams patch year to year soloutions.

I'd love for us to be active in trade period, but as discussed, we are commited to re-singing a boatload of young stars over the next 2 years so we can't do much in trade period.

A cheap back up for Oscar, 2 first rounders, Starc, Rayner, Joyce, Bailey etc more midfield time and improvement from within is going to be our approach unless there is a trade shock, which is unlikely.

What about the improvement is Starc, Bailey, Oscar, Rayner, Clugg, Kiddy etc? We are young so internal improvement is a massive factor.

Also - Melbourne had no injuries, they weren't hunted, their bottom 6 players played out of the skin and they got hot. There is no guarantee they back it up - they will face far more adversity next year.

It sounds like you have copied and paste this year and said 'the same will occur'.

The reason we are looking at a cheap tall is pretty obvious and makes sense. All good teams patch year to year soloutions.

I'd love for us to be active in trade period, but as discussed, we are commited to re-singing a boatload of young stars over the next 2 years so we can't do much in trade period.

A cheap back up for Oscar, 2 first rounders, Starc, Rayner, Joyce, Bailey etc more midfield time and improvement from within is going to be our approach unless there is a trade shock, which is unlikely.
I believe Bailey is on the precipice of becoming an A grader. The jizzfest from the medjia this year was a bit sickening as you could see a lot of room for improvement for Bailey as he still made a number of mistakes which came purely down to ‘above the shoulders’. Was pleasantly surprised by Kiddy down back and you would have to think that keeping him there and teaching his game will only improve. Hopefully Clug goes more inside as he is wasted on the wing. I know Fagan has stated about moving Starc into the middle and I don’t mind adding more depth and strings to his bow but I honestly see an AA defender there in coming years. Plenty of room for improvement in our list and that includes our mature players as well.

How does Fort go as a forward? I have watched a few clips and he looks okay, reasonably nimble for his size.

Wondering if we can mix Oscar and Fort Ruck / Forward. Maybe Oscar plays a bit more forward than this year.

Daniher and McStay told to roam more up the ground. Fort / Oscar to stay deep and just not get outmarked, get Charlie / Linc / Ah Chee etc buzzing around their feet.

Perhaps I am overstating the ability of Fort given he didn't get a game for the cats.

I still would be happy with Lester as the third forward with Rayner floating through. McStay as second ruck.

I believe Bailey is on the precipice of becoming an A grader. The jizzfest from the medjia this year was a bit sickening as you could see a lot of room for improvement for Bailey as he still made a number of mistakes which came purely down to ‘above the shoulders’. Was pleasantly surprised by Kiddy down back and you would have to think that keeping him there and teaching his game will only improve. Hopefully Clug goes more inside as he is wasted on the wing. I know Fagan has stated about moving Starc into the middle and I don’t mind adding more depth and strings to his bow but I honestly see an AA defender there in coming years. Plenty of room for improvement in our list and that includes our mature players as well.

Yeah I was honestly frustrated with Bailey alot of this year. It's scary to think some already had him fringe AA squad this year - he is at about 25% of his potential.

There are about 9 players in our top 25 that I expect an improvement leap from, I am content heading into this year with the list we have.

My only 2 wishes is a bigger bodied, dynamic mid (won't happen) and a back up for Oscar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back