Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

So in the offseason McKay has got himself a sport psych as well as those analytical sport scientists (or whatever) to work on his running...

That's a lot of extra homework he's set himself. All that combined with us being a better team and having better delivery forward might make this the year he explodes.
A lot of good signs coming from everywhere about where our group is at and just what they want to achieve, really think we are set to have a massive break out year with multiple players stepping up to make us a real challenger.

Has the feel of 78-79 with the influx of young guys from WA and other parts all coming together at the right time and we know where that led us, 79, 81, 82 and then the SA influx for 87. 😜😁

I can see why Cottrell is a fan favourite and I love him as much as the next man, but if he's a round 1 starter in an off-season where we got Saad and Williams I think we are in trouble.

Good injury cover, but he's not best 22.
Just don't get the refusal to let this bloke improve like any other. He seems to be the barometer for us going backwards. Maybe he's going to be best 22 cause he deserves it. One of the best tanks/runners at the club, cost nothing in the pre-season draft, has already won us a game. We are due some luck with these project players. Let the young man grow.

Just don't get the refusal to let this bloke improve like any other. He seems to be the barometer for us going backwards. Maybe he's going to be best 22 cause he deserves it. One of the best tanks/runners at the club, cost nothing in the pre-season draft, has already won us a game. We are due some luck with these project players. Let the young man grow.
He's allowed to, and hopefully does, improve.

He wasn't best 22 last season, however, and this season we've only improved with our running ability so competition for those spots is tight. Unless he improves at an extraordinary rate and leapfrogs several in one off-season he's not in our best 22. If he does improve at that rate and prove me wrong I'll be as happy as anyone else about it.

I do expect to see him at some point in the season, though, and hope he does show the improvement a lot appear to be anticipating.

He's allowed to, and hopefully does, improve.

He wasn't best 22 last season, however, and this season we've only improved with our running ability so competition for those spots is tight. Unless he improves at an extraordinary rate and leapfrogs several in one off-season he's not in our best 22. If he does improve at that rate and prove me wrong I'll be as happy as anyone else about it.

I do expect to see him at some point in the season, though, and hope he does show the improvement a lot appear to be anticipating.

I agree we need a few “Diamonds in the Rough” coming on - no reason why Cottrell can’t be that.

:thumbsu:

A week or so ago my wife shared one of those silent moments with Harry at our local coles (must live nearby)...was in the fruit section where they both went to pick up a punnet of strawberries at the same time and it was like “you go, no you go, etc.”

Said he his hands were strong and was clean below his knees....he picked up the punnet with one hand, easily avoided contact with nearby customers and slotted them straight into the trolley between the 2 packets of fresh salmon on the first go. Also mentioned that his agility and speed in manoeuvring the trolley around the store had improved since last time she saw him in coles.

Did he put them straight in the trolley or more around the body action?

Your wife sounds like she was playing the role of Levi, getting in his way... ;)

This cracks me up too much :tearsofjoy:

I haven't really read anything about how Gibbons' off-season is going. Anyone know anything about how he's tracking?
I don't know how he's tracking, but you've got a good point there.

With Fog and Durdin joining the club, development from Honey, Philp and Owies, as well as Murph spending more time up forward, it'll be interesting to see if he's still considered by the coaches to be in our best 22. He is for me, but there's definitely more competition for spots than before.

We finally have some solid depth in our small forward department.

I can see why Cottrell is a fan favourite and I love him as much as the next man, but if he's a round 1 starter in an off-season where we got Saad and Williams I think we are in trouble.

Good injury cover, but he's not best 22.
I disagree.

I mentioned this a couple weeks ago... If Cottrell is in our rd 1 side, I can only assume it's because he's worked his butt off and proven he is worthy of a spot in our best 22.

A week or so ago my wife shared one of those silent moments with Harry at our local coles (must live nearby)...was in the fruit section where they both went to pick up a punnet of strawberries at the same time and it was like “you go, no you go, etc.”

Said he his hands were strong and was clean below his knees....he picked up the punnet with one hand, easily avoided contact with nearby customers and slotted them straight into the trolley between the 2 packets of fresh salmon on the first go. Also mentioned that his agility and speed in manoeuvring the trolley around the store had improved since last time she saw him in coles.
It's a game played 90% above the shelves

So in the offseason McKay has got himself a sport psych as well as those analytical sport scientists (or whatever) to work on his running...

That's a lot of extra homework he's set himself. All that combined with us being a better team and having better delivery forward might make this the year he explodes.
ye thats it...when he does go good and gets bags he can sustain the mental pressure and noise plus stays injury free, able to apply elite pressure week in week out...
Also hoping for a miracle and we get Charlie going again....i dont see why he would not be tracking ok...i guess just got to build loading back into his crook knee,can imagine the force his quads would put through HIS knee,the human body is an amazing thing so cross fingers for Mr Curnow

A lot of good signs coming from everywhere about where our group is at and just what they want to achieve, really think we are set to have a massive break out year with multiple players stepping up to make us a real challenger.

Has the feel of 78-79 with the influx of young guys from WA and other parts all coming together at the right time and we know where that led us, 79, 81, 82 and then the SA influx for 87. 😜😁
That era is what many people on here have been living off for a long time....
so many good players in a club that was simply the benchmark of that time financally and list wise ... very professional at the time, the club now has been trying very hard again,however with no clear advantage this time..if anything we get ripped off a lot probably payback from the former glory days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone excited by a match tomorrow? It's a practice match yes, but it's a huge step up from training

First thing first - no injuries
Secondly an attacking brand of footy :D
Bring it on!

Last edited:

Just hope he is very careful in the toilet paper section to avoid soft tissue injuries ;)

Everyone excited by a match tomorrow - practice match yes, but it's a huge step up from training

First thing first - no injuries
Secondly an attacking brand of footy :D
Bring it on!
I want that next tier putting their hand up

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Maturity would have no doubt played a huge part.
And he’s been injured a fair chunk of his career as well Matty, ower back stress fractures and sore groins and leg problems, missing large chunks of games during the season and lack of completing most our preseasons, hardly any continuity for a young giant key forward in building endurance and most importantly size and strength... IMO there has never been a lack of work rate for him to build and improve himself it’s just that the all of above has road blocked him in being able too do so...

Last edited:
Looks fine to me.

iFRtJySo
Jesus...you get to 41 and you think you're pretty settled with regard to what stirs one in the ol' corduroys...

Never too old to try new things, or rather think new things...or at least think about thinking new things...

Last edited:
I've seen a few photos, but this one really shows Fisher with a bit more meat on - good to see :D

He's in great shape - exciting!
Skinny arms dude..
Fish,has got Afl fitness,he has a tank....thats a payday alone , a genuine Afl basal fitness able to sustain a season,he has it.
He has no Dusty or Cripps build tho...has nice tone and yes he is fit, and pretty quick....with some notable skills
Not midfield material,they were rag dolling him deliberately at various stages past couple yrs,to Fishes credit he just worked.
Should still do some midfield time,Fish tends to be a Barometer for CFC....he can run hot,and might see him have a run off a wing or mids when hes on
i honestly think he is a worker and will play a lot of football for CFC

Last edited:
Skinny arms dude..
Fish,has got Afl fitness,he has a tank....thats a payday alone , a genuine Afl basal fitness able to sustain a season,he has it.
He has no Dusty or Cripps build tho...has nice tone and yes he is fit, and pretty quick....with some notable skills
Not midfield material,they were rag dolling him deliberately at various stages past couple yrs,to Fishes credit he just worked.
Should still do some midfield time,Fish tends to be a Barometer for CFC....he can run hot,and might see him have a run off a wing or mids when hes on
i honestly think he is a worker and will play a lot of football for CFC
He’s looked really quick in the vision I‘ve seen this summer. Not sprinter quick, but quick in movement.
His ability to collect a ground ball at pace has been there since day one. It’s elite.
Expecting a breakout season from Fish this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back