Review 2022 AFL Draft - Pre-season and Rookie drafts @ 3pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe Szybowski is going undrafted. Thought he would have been picked around 20-30.
Was his disposal just not up to scratch, shame him and D'Aolia might be the mids of the past

I think Melbourne have got a guy in Verrall that could be anything. I am really disappointed that the crows did not take him with the second pick we had last night as its only been injury that had held him back and when he came back from it, was very good. This one could really come back to bite the SA clubs
Like Draper?

I think Melbourne have got a guy in Verrall that could be anything. I am really disappointed that the crows did not take him with the second pick we had last night as its only been injury that had held him back and when he came back from it, was very good. This one could really come back to bite the SA clubs
Thanks for the info, pretty pumped to see what he can do. If he plays 50- 100 games your post deserves will be remembered.
What stood out for you about Will?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shiels and Howe just screams Clarko getting some of his favorites on another list. Already exerting a fair bit of control not 1 month into the job...
That's exactly what I was hoping he would do. The amateurish lack of planning and direction within the North footy department had been going on for far too long and has been crying out for someone to come in to take control.

That's exactly what I was hoping he would do. The amateurish lack of planning and direction within the North footy department had been going on for far too long and has been crying out for someone to come in to take control.

You don't want it to go too far in the other direction though, as a footy club is an organism of sorts, and needs all moving parts to function independently but also together. If Clark micro-manages everything, then you end up with a lot of disgruntled people and it permeates throughout the organization.

Not saying this will happen at all, but there can be such a thing as too much control instead of delegation, which is also just as bad.

Same spreadsheet as before, added a new tab for the rookie draft. :)

So only 12 out of 41 rookie picks were taken as 'new' kids - that's just nuts. Some pre listed NGA's which makes it a bit better, but overall, as others have said, dominated by 're-rookies' or just passing altogether.

You don't want it to go too far in the other direction though, as a footy club is an organism of sorts, and needs all moving parts to function independently but also together. If Clark micro-manages everything, then you end up with a lot of disgruntled people and it permeates throughout the organization.

Not saying this will happen at all, but there can be such a thing as too much control instead of delegation, which is also just as bad.
Clarko is bringing in people he knows and trusts. I don't doubt that he will be delegating rather than micro managing. We badly needed a boost in professionalism and I believe he has already made good strides. Some of the deadwood had already been cleared out before he came, which made it a bit easier for him to make the necessary changes.

Still can’t believe North didn’t go to the PSD but we did Re Draft Turner you think there was another key forward in the VFL,WAFL or SANFL that didn’t get drafted.

Suns passed on 3 picks - does that mean they've kept 3 spots open on their list? Seems odd.

Also, Kayne Turner wasn't on the list of draft nominees - doesn't that mean he wasn't eligible to be drafted? Or was he a late addition?

Thought we were an A-.

I genuinely think we got close to the best/highest ceiling prospect in the draft (Wardlaw) and high end forward prospects like Sheezel only really surface once every 1 or 2 drafts.

To be in that position after JHF requested a trade at 8:00pm the night before trade week started is decent effort, especially with Ports F1 also in the bank.

George is high risk high reward in a position of depth, however that means we are a club in a position where we can be patient with him.

The mark down is probably not being able to extract absolute best value but fill some needs, a tall forward would have been nice, but not unhappy at all with the high end talent we got as we got close to the best players we could have at each selection.

With two first rounders (Ours and Ports) we are well placed to pick the eyes out of a strong draft next year with a heap of POD types likely to go in the first 13 or 14 (Reid, Caddy, Watson, Duursma etc)

Clarko is bringing in people he knows and trusts. I don't doubt that he will be delegating rather than micro managing. We badly needed a boost in professionalism and I believe he has already made good strides. Some of the deadwood had already been cleared out before he came, which made it a bit easier for him to make the necessary changes.
Has Todd been hanging out at Macca's the last few years, he might need an elastic Norf polo shirt if he plans to keep expanding. :D:D:D

This needs a major overhaul
All clubs do is recycle their primary listed players on to it…it should be designed to taking fresh players only…not redraft the same guy from one primary list to the rookie list

It’s farcical
Agreed in theory, but it would involve the AFL Players, and the AFL (with the clubs as an interested 3rd party) to sit down in the next collective bargaining agreement and work on a solution that allows for 1-year contracts for draftees, and ways of manipulating around salary caps and renegotiating existing contracts to players, that it's currently used for.

It's a lot easier to work around the edges by changing rules regarding rookie list, than it is to completely rewrite the legal document that is the CBA.

Shiels and Howe just screams Clarko getting some of his favorites on another list. Already exerting a fair bit of control not 1 month into the job...

Why wouldn't you though. Doubt there would be a coach in the league or at any level for that matter that wouldn't do this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back