Draft 2022 AFLW Draft Analysis - Slice of Pie

Remove this Banner Ad

Replacement players to cover injuries and such

Not a fan. You take a squad into a "premiership season". Even mid-season drafts are a joke.

As COVID is hanging around I'm not as fussed, and giving extra opportunities to players in these early years are good, but hopefully they can this in future. Manage your lists properly with flexibilty to cover injuries. Don't reward mediocrity, aim to be an elite competition. Even if you fail, you still receive a better draft pick. Top up players are like using cheat codes.

The rules haven't changed, as alluded to in this article two days before the season started:
Clubs are rushing to replace players who have already been ruled out for the season before the round one deadline, with McKenzie Dowrick (Adelaide), Maeve Chaplin (Melbourne), Olivia Meagher (Collingwood) and Beth Lynch (Richmond) all given an opportunity in recent days.
They have always had a vague special permission exception written into them, which I presume is what has been granted here with the Woods signing.

If the Bulldogs said to the AFL "we need/needed more time to assess whether McLeod would be fit to play this season", I could definitely see that working in the supposed age of concussion awareness.

Scrappy game this morning tbh.

Not a lot of highlights or open play
I’ve heard the overall squad this year isn’t quite as strong as last year, outside of the few from champs and some young ones, the depth isn’t quite as good. Is that right?

I’ve heard the overall squad this year isn’t quite as strong as last year, outside of the few from champs and some young ones, the depth isn’t quite as good. Is that right?
Im gonna say yes.

Also with these tyoe of games, everyone is trying ot get a sopt so its a lot of "me" football

Jamie Henry stoodout for me. Georgie Cleaver also. Maddison Dodd from Subi is tough nugget. Ash Rediy did soem good things. Couple other players I liked the look of, I need to find out who they were as I have a list but no names to nubers they wore.

You're going to hear a lot more about this player throughout the season, but Zarlie Goldsworthy. Just wow. Played the best NAB League Girls game I've seen in my time watching (which is since the beginning). Had 33 touches, 12 inside 50s and kicked 4.4 (could have easily been 6-7). Ticks so many boxes with power, strength overhead, goal sense, footy IQ. Genuinely has the potential to be one of the best talents in this draft. Always nervous going off one game (never do) but this was an exceptional performance. Doesn't matter the opposition, the traits were there. Excited what she can bring in the coming weeks.

Had 33 touches, 12 inside 50s and kicked 4.4 (could have easily been 6-7).
Also kicked one out on the full from in close on a sharp angle early in the third quarter and bounced one wide of the behind post in the fourth. So, had at least ten attempts at goal in the game! The Geelong defenders, who are probably still having nightmares about Amber Clarke from the weekend, will have to deal with Goldsworthy when she's forward this coming weekend.

Also kicked one out on the full from in close on a sharp angle early in the third quarter and bounced one wide of the behind post in the fourth. So, had at least ten attempts at goal in the game! The Geelong defenders, who are probably still having nightmares about Amber Clarke from the weekend, will have to deal with Goldsworthy when she's forward this coming weekend.
Yep could have had 7-8 easily. Throw in the fact she spent a fair bit of time in midfield, it really was a remarkable performance.

(Not sure if here or the Vic footy thread is the more appropriate place for this. If I have wronged, let me know.)

When I turned on the app to watch the games today, I noticed they've started putting up replays again there. They also seem to be up on both AFL.com.au and womens.afl

Round 1 links (AFL.com.au)
Eastern v Calder
Murray v Bendigo
Tasmania v Sandringham
GWV v Gippsland
Geelong v Dandenong
Northern v Oakleigh

Round 2 replays aren't up yet, but I've got scores for anyone interested:
Falcons 8.9.57 def Bushrangers 8.5.53
Pioneers 9.8.62 Rebels 1.6.12
Stingrays 22.17.149 def Power 2.2.14
Devils 10.5.65 def Jets 5.4.34
Cannons 6.2.38 def Knights 4.4.28

Murray v Geelong was one of the best junior games I've ever seen.

(Not sure if here or the Vic footy thread is the more appropriate place for this. If I have wronged, let me know.)

When I turned on the app to watch the games today, I noticed they've started putting up replays again there. They also seem to be up on both AFL.com.au and womens.afl

Round 1 links (AFL.com.au)
Eastern v Calder
Murray v Bendigo
Tasmania v Sandringham
GWV v Gippsland
Geelong v Dandenong
Northern v Oakleigh

Round 2 replays aren't up yet, but I've got scores for anyone interested:
Falcons 8.9.57 def Bushrangers 8.5.53
Pioneers 9.8.62 Rebels 1.6.12
Stingrays 22.17.149 def Power 2.2.14
Devils 10.5.65 def Jets 5.4.34
Cannons 6.2.38 def Knights 4.4.28

Murray v Geelong was one of the best junior games I've ever seen.
I was at the double-header today. The Bushies-Falcons was a close one. Very unlucky the Bushies couldn’t close it out, but Dowling stepped up when needed, without her Falcons don’t get close. Especially losing Ash Van Loon in the first quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the double-header today. The Bushies-Falcons was a close one. Very unlucky the Bushies couldn’t close it out, but Dowling stepped up when needed, without her Falcons don’t get close. Especially losing Ash Van Loon in the first quarter.
I was heartbroken for the Bushies. I assume they've never beaten Geelong in this comp before, given the powerhouse they've been. I'll be really interested to see how you do votes for this one. Tough job. A lot of standout performances.

I was heartbroken for the Bushies. I assume they've never beaten Geelong in this comp before, given the powerhouse they've been. I'll be really interested to see how you do votes for this one. Tough job. A lot of standout performances.
Possibly not. Bushies went undefeated in the inaugural season where there were like five games (2017 I believe). Calder (with Conti, Molloy, Dargan) was awarded the premiership on percentage, but that was Murray’s best year.

EDIT: Just looked and sure enough beat them by two points. Grace Egan and Millie Brown were amongst the best. Denby Taylor kicked three for Falcs (would probably have been 15) and Liv Purcell kicked a goal as well.

Last edited:
View attachment 1324203
So an early national top 20, obviously hard with only NAB league having more than 1 game so far but it is what it is. I also freely admit I'm not really across WAFLW, SANFLW or QLD footy so those rankings are based primarily off Champs games from 2021.

Hannah Ewings - 21 Disposals 2 Goals
Yeah great return. Basically played a half mid, a half forward (60-40 M-F). Went forward in the last term and almost won North the game. It’s why she’s #2 on my board.

I know Biggie posted it already, but just for a bit more insight into the WA squad. Here's it broken down into the team-by-team

2022 WESTERN AUSTRALIA UNDER 18S SQUAD:

Claremont [7]: Tamashya Blurton | Jorja Elisseou | Emily Elkington | Eva O’Donnell | Makayla Rogers | Charlotte Tompkin | Mackenzie Webb
East Fremantle [5]: Nadya Browne | Georgie Cleaver | Alli Nokes | Anjelique Raison | Alessia Schmiedgen
East Perth [2]: Ruby Burgess | Holly Gill
Peel Thunder [6]: Megan Bain | Emily Gunton | Bella Mann | Ella Roberts | Kaitlyn Srhoj | Jordain Thompson
South Fremantle [4]: Tanika Bradley | Ashleigh Reidy | Aaliyah Ugle | Lauren Wakfer
Subiaco [1]: Charlotte Newland
Swan Districts [8]: Tamzyn Beros | Abbygail Bushby | Tyla Fitzgerald | Jaime Henry | Jorjina Kean | Emma Nanut | Tara Stribley | Kloe Taylor
West Perth [2]: Liliana Grassenis | Kayla Van Den Heever
Southwest [1]: Jessica Verbrugge

Distinct lack of over-agers there (which can be a good thing). Bella Mann and Emma Nanut the two from last year missing out and coming back. Are any of the other non-highlighted ones over-agers Biggie?

Claremont [7]: Tamashya Blurton | Jorja Elisseou | Emily Elkington | Eva O’Donnell | Makayla Rogers | Charlotte Tompkin | Mackenzie Webb
East Fremantle [5]: Nadya Browne | Georgie Cleaver | Alli Nokes | Anjelique Raison | Alessia Schmiedgen
East Perth [2]: Ruby Burgess | Holly Gill
Peel Thunder [6]: Megan Bain | Emily Gunton | Bella Mann | Ella Roberts | Kaitlyn Srhoj | Jordain Thompson
South Fremantle [4]: Tanika Bradley | Ashleigh Reidy | Aaliyah Ugle | Lauren Wakfer
Subiaco [1]: Charlotte Newland
Swan Districts [8]: Tamzyn Beros | Abbygail Bushby | Tyla Fitzgerald | Jaime Henry | Jorjina Kean | Emma Nanut | Tara Stribley | Kloe Taylor
West Perth [2]: Liliana Grassenis | Kayla Van Den Heever
Southwest [1]: Jessica Verbrugge

Gonna put in bold the players I believe have VFL/AFL links.

ehhhh.PNG
PMBangers said: So an early national top 20

The top 5 Vic girls in any order are locks for sure

I'd have Claire Ransom higher than Sophia Hurley & Paige Scott
It's criminal that North Melb get a free hit on her :mad:

Charlotte Taylor has to be before Paige Scott surely?

Where was Zarlie Goldsworthy before this season, she seems to come from out of nowhere, incredible player

How good are the 2006 births Lucia Painter & Ash Centra going to be?

Charlotte Taylor has to be before Paige Scott surely?
Stats wise Taylor has been more impressive this season, and honestly after Ham in the VIC group you could have almost any order for the next 5-6, but I think Scott's new found unselfish approach to her gamestyle is perhaps hampering how others are viewing her, I reckon I've seen her hand off near every possession she's had in the forward half this year. That said if she can't find the right balance she's certain to slip, but hopefully being the focal point for Country will see her get back to snagging a few a game.

Where was Zarlie Goldsworthy before this season, she seems to come from out of nowhere, incredible player
Playing high level soccer

How good are the 2006 births Lucia Painter & Ash Centra going to be?
Ridiculously, Centra is already a favourite to watch of Pie 4 Life. Plenty of really good 06ers about, Mahony (Chargers), Howley and Morrissy (Falcons), Field (Jets) are others that have really impressed me early on. Chargers have a few that performed really well in their futures matches that I'm excited to see come through, but I think it speaks to how quickly junior girls football is improving that these girls that are 15/16 (and in Ella Stoddart's case, 14) are already some of the most impressive prospects in the league

I'd have Claire Ransom higher than Sophia Hurley & Paige Scott
It's criminal that North Melb get a free hit on her :mad:
I'm pretty sure that's what Searle was having a crack at after the Saints lost to North last year. She copped a bit after that, but it does seem incredibly odd to have one of the perennial finals contenders get a free first round pick every year. It was one thing when the Tassie girls used to train separately, but they don't anymore. Even then, I can't understand why North haven't at least been subjected to some sort of bidding system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back