List Mgmt. 2022 List Management and trading thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rate Sholl higher than many on here. Have seen him play some very very good football at AFL level and think he will be a decent footballer. I don't think he will become an A grader, but would be a very good player for a competing team where he would fit in that 16-20 bracket.

I can 100% understand why Carlton would love to get him. If they get him this offseason, he will be a 22 year old with 50 games under his belt. This season Carlton are #3 in contested possessions, #6 in clearances and #1 in Centre Clearances, so a classy outside player would fit them perfectly.

I would be happy to let him go if compensation was right. Right now he is the cream, but we unfortunately don't have the cake to put him on.

Sholl is a good player who’s got a great kick. But this is our opportunity to sell high and try to get a good pick.

What pick would you want for him?

IMO would need to be top 15 to justify moving an AFL quality level player after we have invested 4 preseasons of development and almost 50 games.

I rate Sholl higher than many on here. Have seen him play some very very good football at AFL level and think he will be a decent footballer. I don't think he will become an A grader, but would be a very good player for a competing team where he would fit in that 16-20 bracket.

I can 100% understand why Carlton would love to get him. If they get him this offseason, he will be a 22 year old with 50 games under his belt. This season Carlton are #3 in contested possessions, #6 in clearances and #1 in Centre Clearances, so a classy outside player would fit them perfectly.

I would be happy to let him go if compensation was right. Right now he is the cream, but we unfortunately don't have the cake to put him on.
You're forgetting who coaches them.

I really doubt Voss would be keen on bringing in a player that is playing as timidly as Sholl.

Sholl is a good player who’s got a great kick. But this is our opportunity to sell high and try to get a good pick.
I'm not sure he's the type of player we want to lose, we don't have a lot of outside, skillful players.

Sell high for sure, but is he the one we do it with, or should we look to do it with someone like Doedee instead...just to be controversial?

It's about time we used a good draft pick on an athletic tall young ruckman.
We cant keep going down this path of a rookie listed ruckman that don't have the tools to give your midfield an even chance at the stoppages
I agree we need a young ruckman, but I think spending a good pick on one is unnecessary.

I've always felt that their should be 3 ruckmen on an AFL list, - your no1 ruckman, a backup that would be physically ready for AFL if required, and then a young project ruckman who has a few years to develop. Crows haven't had a project ruckman on their list for sometime unless I've forgotten someone. These project players can normally be picked up in the draft from rd 3 onwards.

The ruck is an interesting position, as many premiership teams have gotten by without a dominant ruckman, but you can't afford to have someone not up to standard getting smashed like ROB currently is.

It's about time we used a good draft pick on an athletic tall young ruckman.
We cant keep going down this path of a rookie listed ruckman that don't have the tools to give your midfield an even chance at the stoppages
If they are available at your pick, sure, but if not...

The first ruck taken after our first picks have been:
2022 - Toby Conway
2020 - Shannon Neale
2019 - Charlie Comben
2018 - Kieren Briggs (Academy Selection)
2017 - CCJ
2016 - English
2015 - Flynn
2014 - Pittonet

So it's been 6 years since we there's been a decent ruck at our pick, and he's really only just elevated his game this year. Of course, we are rumoured to have wanted to have picked him, but the coach wanted a mid.

There's not that many athletic tall young ruckman going around!

I agree we need a young ruckman, but I think spending a good pick on one is unnecessary.

I've always felt that their should be 3 ruckmen on an AFL list, - your no1 ruckman, a backup that would be physically ready for AFL if required, and then a young project ruckman who has a few years to develop. Crows haven't had a project ruckman on their list for sometime unless I've forgotten someone. These project players can normally be picked up in the draft from rd 3 onwards.

The ruck is an interesting position, as many premiership teams have gotten by without a dominant ruckman, but you can't afford to have someone not up to standard getting smashed like ROB currently is.
I think ROB was the last project ruckman we took on.
The problem is they take so long normally to be strong enough to compete.
But if we keep using rookie picks, we keep getting ROB and Strachan types

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if he's rated a mention here before but one player I'd love us to take a strong look at is Connor Budarick from the Suns. There's a clear link to SA through his old man (although I don't know how long Connor was in Adelaide if at all) which is something to go on and he'd be a direct, like-for-like, superior replacement for Brown as a lockdown small defender with the ability to run off and create.

Seemed like he took a little while (understandably) coming back from an ACL (I think) but he looks like he's back in decent form now but nowhere near a household name so this might be the time to strike.

Would be a great addition to our team.

2022 - Toby Conway
2020 - Shannon Neale
2019 - Charlie Comben
2017 - CCJ
2016 - English
2015 - Flynn
2014 - Pittonet

So it's been 6 years since we there's been a decent ruck at our pick, and he's really only just elevated his game this year. Of course, we are rumoured to have wanted to have picked him, but the coach wanted a mid.

At the moment, it's not a very attractive list is it
And thats the issue, is they generally take a while to come on.
It probably comes down to how important the club thing ruckman are and what they are willing to invest

What pick would you want for him?

IMO would need to be top 15 to justify moving an AFL quality level player after we have invested 4 preseasons of development and almost 50 games.
There's no way we are getting pick 15 for Sholl. That's around what we gave up for Dawson and let's be honest they aren't even close to being in the same league. We may get a pick in the 30's for Sholl. I would be happy with that as I believe you should strike while the iron is hot and he is excess to our needs. A extra pick could be used in a multitude of ways to trade up or used in a player trade for one of our list gaps. Alternatively you can get a diamond such as Dawson was at a similar pick.

Last edited:
At the moment, it's not a very attractive list is it
And thats the issue, is they generally take a while to come on.
It probably comes down to how important the club thing ruckman are and what they are willing to invest
I wonder if basketball getting back to 1990's level of popularity and the success of guys like Ingles and Giddy is draining the talent pool of athletic 200cm+ types.

I wonder if basketball getting back to 1990's level of popularity and the success of guys like Ingles and Giddy is draining the talent pool of athletic 200cm+ types.
Could well be, there doesn't seem to be the cross over from basketball like there was before.
Probably because basketballers are allowed to defend their opponent, instead of just letting them run around them and are allowed to put their arms in the air ;)

You could be right. American sports has a big influence here especially the young. Even sports such as golf are getting bigger more athletic types taking them up. AFL needs to reward their plyers in line with these other sports if they want people to play them. In time I can see the growth in AFL coming from players owning their own content and being more open to a look inside as F1 has done with drive to survive. The players could then get a cut out of this content. I can also see list sizes cut and the pie spread amongst fewer players. If extra players are needed they will draw them from lower leagues.

i have to say i am super impressed with Mcadam this season, we can clearly see the impact Burgess has had on him...hope he can keep it up and his set shot goal kicking has been superb compared to seasons prior.
Fitness is one part of it and the other is McAdams attitude seems to be completely different. He's playing with an intensity he hasn't shown previously. I guess he realises that his time is now if he wants to be in the game for another 3 or 4 years.

2022 - Toby Conway
2020 - Shannon Neale
2019 - Charlie Comben
2017 - CCJ
2016 - English
2015 - Flynn
2014 - Pittonet

Missed some handy ones there just off the top of my head.

Sean Darcy
Tom De Koning
Braydon Preuss
Nick Bryan
Sam Hayes

And Rowan Marshall who I was very bullish about in both his draft year for the Rebels and the following year when he was starring for the now defunct North Ballarat Roosters on the VFL.

We were also heavily into Jarrod Witt's but the Gold Coast offered him better deal contract length wise.

Missed some handy ones there just off the top of my head.

Sean Darcy
Tom De Koning
Braydon Preuss
Nick Bryan
Sam Hayes

And Rowan Marshall who I was very bullish about in both his draft year for the Rebels and the following year when he was starring for the now defunct North Ballarat Roosters on the VFL.

We were also heavily into Jarrod Witt's but the Gold Coast offered him better deal contract length wise.
How is Will Verall tracking for this year?
He seems to have dropped off the radar completely, you were quite positive about him a couple of years ago

i have to say i am super impressed with Mcadam this season, we can clearly see the impact Burgess has had on him...hope he can keep it up and his set shot goal kicking has been superb compared to seasons prior.

This is our next two years isn't it. Anytime a player gets into form its the burgess impact.

I wish Burgess woulda spent more time with Schoenberg and FOG this offseason instead of McAdam.

2022 - Toby Conway
2020 - Shannon Neale
2019 - Charlie Comben
2017 - CCJ
2016 - English
2015 - Flynn
2014 - Pittonet

But have you looked at if any were taken with later picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back