List Mgmt. 2022 List Management and trading thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this format on the West Coast board and thought it might help understand our current list position

1665798571288.png

Last edited:

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
keep checking twitter updates from the club to see our delistings. im sure the players know so why not let the public know?
i am ready to riot of we keep Davis again...

PoholkMe10

Senior List
Sep 7, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
keep checking twitter updates from the club to see our delistings. im sure the players know so why not let the public know?
i am ready to riot of we keep Davis again...
Probably waiting for bnf before announcing anything, but Davis would be the only one on the delist pile at the moment you'd think. Frampton, Rowe, Crouch, Sholl even Himmelberg potentially traded. Too many potentially leaving and coming in through the trade period to know how many delisting are actually required as well.

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Probably waiting for bnf before announcing anything, but Davis would be the only one on the delist pile at the moment you'd think. Frampton, Rowe, Crouch, Sholl even Himmelberg potentially traded. Too many potentially leaving and coming in through the trade period to know how many delisting are actually required as well.
David should have been delisted 5 years ago. He deserves an award for staying on a list as long as he has.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Have we had it confirmed that a trade of himm, so soon after the club re-contracting him, is actually allowed?..

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Are we going to be younger next year?

Wouldn't have thought so... & doubt will be much in it.
Depends on what happens with Crouch & Seedsman. Brown is already gone - that's 11 years & 176 games experience gone. Crouch potentially adds 9 years & 125 games, and Seedsman 12 years & 132 games. Collectively, they're enough to ensure that our list will be younger & less experienced in 2023 than it was in 2022.

However, if we're comparing our 2023 "best 22" with the 2022 "best 22", then the 2023 unit should be older & more experienced - given that none of the senior players were in the "best 22" by the end of 2022. A lot will depend on what happens with Sloane, Smith & Walker, all of whom are rapidly approaching the end.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Berry attended 66% of CBA’s this year, Graham only 22%, and yet he still finishes with the highest pressure acts in the comp. (The stats you’ve used above includes all mids, you can select mid/fwds of which Graham is certainly top of the bunch)

Warranted this year Graham has apparently spent more time up forward, but even last year his CBA’s were only 26%.

Graham has the type of endurance where he’s able to affect pressure outside the contest (something we are sorely lacking), and link up in defensive/attacking chains.

I know some people have some preconceived ideas about Sam Berry and Jack Graham being similar players, but they are not.

Just head on over to the Richmond board and ask. They’ve described him being able to apply pressure in multiple areas of the ground, and is a crucial supporting link

The only real question IMO is whether we don’t have a crack at Graham because we believe Berry could become that sort of player. Does Berry have that endurance?

Don’t get me wrong I am a MASSIVE Berry fan, but he is purely inside mid at the moment, Graham is not.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So you want to recruit someone into our midfield who isn’t even earning midfield minutes at his current club - that guy is going to be a mid saviour?

Feels like a full moon moment

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
So you want to recruit someone into our midfield who isn’t even earning midfield minutes at his current club - that guy is going to be a mid saviour?

Feels like a full moon moment
AND .....you have to ask why? .....given the Midfield was RICH's weakest area this year .....Prestia & Cotchin out injured, Short in the midfield, but a terrible midfielder ....yet Graham can't get a gig ?

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Depends on what happens with Crouch & Seedsman. Brown is already gone - that's 11 years & 176 games experience gone. Crouch potentially adds 9 years & 125 games, and Seedsman 12 years & 132 games. Collectively, they're enough to ensure that our list will be younger & less experienced in 2023 than it was in 2022.

However, if we're comparing our 2023 "best 22" with the 2022 "best 22", then the 2023 unit should be older & more experienced - given that none of the senior players were in the "best 22" by the end of 2022. A lot will depend on what happens with Sloane, Smith & Walker, all of whom are rapidly approaching the end.

I understand that this average age of our best 22 players will obviously go up, but clubs progress collectively as a playing unit. Having experienced/older players around the club helps set training standards, pass crucial knowledge on to younger players, and for them to have role models in general.

I’ve said it before that having Frampton, Crouch and Brown in the SANFL, and Himmelberg for periods, has no doubt accelerated the development of some players we’re expecting to get games in the seniors next year.

I think seeing the exits of Brown, Frampton and Crouch in particular will be huge loss in terms of the above. Again, it’s not a reason to keep them, but in a ‘whole-of-club’ sense to me it’s a concern our playing list is getting younger.

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Norf and WCE are the only other lists around our mark. immediately in front of us on the table, Essendon and Hawks are far better lists.

Remember that whatever we have done this year results wise has been done with minimal injuries, it couldn't have got any better.
No thanks Hawthorn definitely worse

Essendon on par

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Inside the tense negotiations of the AFL trade period​

What is the etiquette when a club wants a player, do clubs engage in stonewalling tactics, and who are the better and worse operators to deal with across the negotiating table?

Former Port Adelaide, Hawthorn and St Kilda list manager Chris Pelchen stresses that the most important element of trade negotiations is understanding the methods of other clubs. And ultimately it is less about clubs than it is about people.

“More so than from club to club, it really comes down to the individual personality of the person you’re dealing with,” Pelchen says

While some clubs may have reputations, it’s really because of the person involved who sets the tone. It changes from coach to coach, and obviously coaches change over time.

“Inevitably you are going to have some who drive harder bargains than others, some who will start with ambitious claims, others who are very direct with how they talk with you and their best offer is their best offer.

“That’s why it’s important to get to know the person you’re dealing with and primarily it’s the coach, the list manager and the recruiting manager who will drive those conversations.”

Thankfully, according to Pelchen, the days of clubs trying to pull one over the opposition are just about gone.

There is a more holistic approach taken. And as one ex-list manager notes, the industry is a small one. If a club tries to dud another, those who feel they’ve been on the wrong end of the bargain will remember. With live trading on draft night, you never know when you might need to call in a favour.

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wouldn't it make sense just to take Bowes and his contract and Rankine?

Gold Coast get to keep pick 7. We don't lose Pick 5.

Surely we have enough cap space for it. And if Bowes doesn't want to come here - we agree to release him.
I want pick 5 and 7. Give GC pick 23 for Rankine or we take him to the PSD. No one is taking on 1.5m next year. Trade 7 to Richmond for 12 and 19. That leaves us with pick 5,12,19.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Don’t you just love it that all the media discussion around Geelong is ‘just how good’ their pay structure is, and that’s how they’re able to fit so many good players in, etc etc

Anyone else and it’s ‘tHeY aLwAys UnDeRpAy ThEiR pLaYeRs!!!!’

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Don’t you just love it that all the media discussion around Geelong is ‘just how good’ their pay structure is, and that’s how they’re able to fit so many good players in, etc etc

Anyone else and it’s ‘tHeY aLwAys UnDeRpAy ThEiR pLaYeRs!!!!’

Easy to fit all these players in when half their pay is done off the books.

Jetafl

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Astros Detroit Red Wings KC Chiefs
I want pick 5 and 7. Give GC pick 23 for Rakine or we take him to the PSD. No one is taking on 1.5m next year. Trade 7 to Richmond for 12 and 19. That leaves us with pick 5,12,19.
We have to be reasonable and pick 23 will be 25 or north of is not reasonable for Rankine or realistic. That is akind to when we postured as a club we will accept pick 2 for B Crouch or we keep him (we all know how that went)

Last edited:

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
We have to be reasonable and pick 23 will be 25 or north of is not reasonable or realistic. That is akind to when we postured as a club we will accept pick 2 for B Crouch or we keep in (we all know how that went)
I think 23 is reasonable. We gave up 17 for Dawson and he is a far superior player and can play multiple pisitions. We hope Rankine will be a star but there is some risk with him.

DaKids

All Australian
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think 23 is reasonable. We gave up 17 for Dawson and he is a far superior player and can play multiple pisitions. We hope Rankine will be a star but there is some risk with him.
The lad finished 10th in their club champ award with 4 less games played. Would be interested on a votes per game comparison but no idea how to do it.

Don’t think he’s much of a risk now he’s settled into his football.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ha!

Seriously though, GC don't need more second round picks this year.

GC to the deal with Brisbane for their pick 15 for their suite of 2nd rd picks

23/1 for Rankine, 15, then hope we have a really good year!

Jetafl

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Astros Detroit Red Wings KC Chiefs
We came out of the Dawson trade on the plus side of the ledger that is for sure 100% agree with you there. However we will have to agree to disagree my friend with Izak as a pick of about 25 would be a steal for us. Izak is worth a 1st round for sure I'd say 8-14 range is reasonable and fair IMO. Anyone neutral in this I would think Izak is worth a first rounder at least. I don't see a great argument for a 2nd rounder mid 20's myself.

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
We came out of the Dawson trade on the plus side of the ledger that is for sure 100% agree with you there. However we will have to agree to disagree my friend with Izak as a pick of about 25 would be a steal for us. Izak is worth a 1st round for sure I'd say 8-14 range is reasonable and fair IMO. Anyone neutral in this I would think Izak is worth a first rounder at least. I don't see a great argument for a 2nd rounder mid 20's myself.
If you take his draft position out of the equation I can see a pick around 17-23 is fair. We also need to consider that gc are essentially pushing him out by lowballing his contract. If I had seen 2 full years of a top 5 b & f from Izak I would be happy to pay pick 10. That hasn't been the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back