Resource 2022 Membership - 63,240 as at August 25th

Remove this Banner Ad

I've kept my seat for 2022, but I can't see myself attending any games. Partly due to my partner being immune-compromised and wanting to wait and see what Covid is like in 2023, and partly due to knowing that we won't be winning a premiership under Hinkley.

My attitude to Port games has changed due to Hinkley. I still enjoy a Port win and always will because Port is in the blood. But my life doesn't revolve around footy any more. Not fussed if I miss a game and don't try to organise my life around the Port draw. I down graded my membership a couple of years ago (used to be Club 1870 member), and let the club know that Hinkley was the reason.

But I know one thing. I'll be a Port supporter long after Hinkley is gone. Still, I can't wait to see the back of him.

I’ve decided not to get any membership for this year. Dads passed away, but mums health has declined and wife and eldest have asthma.

Odds are they (and almost everyone) won’t be able to avoid COVID the full year, but a Hinkley led Port is not worth being the one to pass it on 😳 (both for their health and mine from the wife if I did!).

I’ll always follow Port, but it’s no longer the passion it was, even in the darkest days of 2008-2012. Whether it ever will be, once he’s gone (and it’s shown the next coach and President aren’t the same), is something I just can’t know until that time comes. I hope it is rekindled, I miss being that invested.

Last edited:
So if we actually happen to win a premiership under Hinkley(Not going to happen) do you all just jump back on?

If we're down by 50 and you think we can't win, then we win. Do you still enjoy it?

Are the people who rock up at the gates and buy GA tickets occasionally allowed to support the club in some way or are they lesser supporters?

Long story short. Having a membership doesn't give you a right to * all with this club. Members don't own the club and members don't reserve the right to celebrate or denigrate. So even if we did or didn't buy memberships what does it even mean. You sunk money into Hinkleys salary. Good on you I guess.

Lots of people support the club who aren't members. Membership is just buying tickets to 11 home games lol. Why be a member if you don't intend to attend games? No other benefit of doing so.

A person who isn't a member will still get the same joy from a premiership as someone who is lol.

Having said all this, I'll back the club and the AFL brand once it gets its s**t together with the balance of the competition and the quality of its core product improves again. If that doesn't happen, I doubt I'll ever renew. The issue is bigger than just "PAFC is just a franchise." though that is a big factor since that is not what we all grew up with and knew. I get it, it's "modern football" but maybe you just get to a point where you decide modern football isn't for you.

Last edited:
So if we actually happen to win a premiership under Hinkley(Not going to happen) do you all just jump back on?
Not really ‘jumping off’ though are we.
Jumping off would be walking away from the game or supporting a different team.

Not really ‘jumping off’ though are we.
Jumping off would be walking away from the game or supporting a different team.

Supporting a different team I think is most definitely jumping off lol

I’ve reduced down to a 3 game membership this year. I still love footy but it’s not the Port Adelaide I grew up supporting. No doubt we were spoilt rotten with the amazing characters and success we had in the 80’s and 90’s, but that is my baseline. I get my kicks from playing AFL fantasy, SANFL and footy in general. Watching Port Adelaide‘s gameplan against top teams is an insult to my intelligence.

Signed x4

Still haven't bothered. Waiting to see what packages they are offering but doubt I'll sign up.

I was waiting to see what packages they are offering this year as I was thinking about looking at an interstate membership and possibly just going to a few away games but travelling getting to complex.

Last year I signed up our 3 memberships the week leading into rd1 mainly because the Mrs still enjoys the social side. I upgraded last year only because I didn't pledge full amount the year before.

At the moment I suspect I might do the same this year as 2020, bank the 2022 membership dollars and work out when I feel like donating back into the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will not win a premiership under Hinkley - won’t happen. I knew this halfway through 2015 and have had a membership the following 6 years to support the club. I’m done now until he’s gone.

I’ve reduced down to a 3 game membership this year. I still love footy but it’s not the Port Adelaide I grew up supporting. No doubt we were spoilt rotten with the amazing characters and success we had in the 80’s and 90’s, but that is my baseline. I get my kicks from playing AFL fantasy, SANFL and footy in general. Watching Port Adelaide‘s gameplan against top teams is an insult to my intelligence.
Can I like this twice? :thumbsu::cool:

What do we all call the 40k Richmond members who jumped back on after their first premiership in so many years?
Depends on when they jumped off really.
I’ve not missed a season since I came to Australia.

I’m dropping off when we are in one of the most favoured positions we’ve been to win since I’ve been here.

Footy isn’t just about tactics and kicking the bag of air around to me though, it is about the heart, the history and the identity.

if we aren’t willing to fight for history and identity, I care a lot less. May as well just support whoever wins if that stuff doesn’t matter.

Last edited:

I’m dropping off when we are in one of the most favoured positions we’ve been to win since I’ve been here.

Footy isn’t just about tactics and kicking the bag of air around to me though, it is about the heart, the history and the identity.

if we aren’t willing to fight for history and identity, I care a lot less. May as well just support whoever wins if that stuff doesn’t matter.
It's a great call.

I love Port because Port stand for something.

It is statement about how I want to live my life. About my goals.

If Port don't stand for that anymore then they are not Port.

I am still a member at this stage (5 memberships) because whilst I don't love the current custodians I still love the club.

And I still hold out hope that good will prevail, we will regain ownership of our club and remember what it is like to be Port Adelaide again.

It's a great call.

I love Port because Port stand for something.

It is statement about how I want to live my life. About my goals.

If Port don't stand for that anymore then they are not Port.

I am still a member at this stage (5 memberships) because whilst I don't love the current custodians I still love the club.

And I still hold out hope that good will prevail, we will regain ownership of our club and remember what it is like to be Port Adelaide again.
I’m wavering today.
I love going so much, will probably downgrade rather than not go.

Another somewhat interesting question which relates to the last few posts is how different things would be if it hadn't been for the no-captains disaster in 2019. Would people have been more likely to hold the line?

Its such a simple decision for me to stay a member given an international membership is so cheap relatively speaking. I'm not sure how I'd approach it if I was paying big bucks.

I think between us all we've got the credits in the bank to take some time off lol

Another somewhat interesting question which relates to the last few posts is how different things would be if it hadn't been for the no-captains disaster in 2019. Would people have been more likely to hold the line?

Its such a simple decision for me to stay a member given an international membership is so cheap relatively speaking. I'm not sure how I'd approach it if I was paying big bucks.

I was ******* FURIOUS about the co-captains s**t. That definitely frayed the ties that bind. Then the ******* laydown sally we've gone with regarding the bars lol.

It certainly didn't help. It cemented that the issues at the club went beyond Hinkley and the poor decisions to extend his contracts. That it's aftermath was largely 'Well we tried, lets never mention it again', rather than using it as a chance to properly engage with what fans want and expect *cough* weak as piss on PB's *cough*, just drove home we're 'white noise' and even those that were close to the club (Lockhart Road ) or pumping in a s**t load (FishingRick04 ) don't get any real hearing, if it goes at all against their preconceived viewpoints. I can be a customer at any business and expect that. My football club, yes I'm paying them money for a 'service', but I still expect more, even in this age. Victorian club members get more than us, so I'm not living in some anti - 'It's not the SANFL anymore! You can't win a flag every year! Remember Ken saved us from 2012!' utopia that can never be achieved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back