Mega Thread 2022/23 Off-Season Sports Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with the McLaren link is that Daniel has the option for next season so the only way he won't be at McLaren is if he ends up at Alpine (IMO) which I doubt will happen. People keep talking about McLaren buying out his contract but $20m+ is not a small amount of money to then put a rookie in the seat. Not to mention that Daniel has publicly stated on multiple occasions that he will be at there next season and did a speech for the staff at the McLaren HQ stating he will be there.

Do you think a rookie would be doing much worse than Daniel? I don't think they will swallow the contract but performance wise he seems to have gone backwards quite quickly.

Do you think a rookie would be doing much worse than Daniel? I don't think they will swallow the contract but performance wise he seems to have gone backwards quite quickly.

I don't really think McLaren will want to take the risk especially when they have been grooming Colton Herta and Pato O'Ward for one of them to take the seat. The McLaren is different to the other cars which is why Daniel has struggled with it. Even Carlos said when he left that the car is weird and hard to drive. The McLaren link has always seemed strange to me and made little sense. If Piastri ended up at McLaren then that would be a purely Seidl move but I can't see Zak Brown allowing it when he is desperate for an American in the 2nd seat.

Ferrari has made a heap of very very weird decisions mid race this year. It has been like watching a train wreck in slow motion at times. I don't know how many individual championship and construction championship points they have left on the table this year. It is baffling.
Sure is. They have a fast car and two gun drivers - they really should be making it much more difficult for Red Bull/Max.

Sure is. They have a fast car and two gun drivers - they really should be making it much more difficult for Red Bull/Max.

They have been so poor I am now expecting a problem each race. Strange situation. Red Bull just has to maintain some form of consistency and it seems like Ferrari will keep handing them points.

The problem with the McLaren link is that Daniel has the option for next season so the only way he won't be at McLaren is if he ends up at Alpine (IMO) which I doubt will happen. People keep talking about McLaren buying out his contract but $20m+ is not a small amount of money to then put a rookie in the seat. Not to mention that Daniel has publicly stated on multiple occasions that he will be at there next season and did a speech for the staff at the McLaren HQ stating he will be there.

Who really knows what Daniels contract is like. Some strange comments from Zac Brown only a few races ago intimating that triggers are in place. What we do know is he is on big bucks and not delivering, and if they fail to get 4th place in the constructors I think Daniel will be the scapegoat.

Anyway loving the F1 chat, cheers.

Who really knows what Daniels contract is like. Some strange comments from Zac Brown only a few races ago intimating that triggers are in place. What we do know is he is on big bucks and not delivering, and if they fail to get 4th place in the constructors I think Daniel will be the scapegoat.

Anyway loving the F1 chat, cheers.

As you said, we don't know for sure what Daniel's contract is like but we can go by what is speculated by the better F1 journos. Earlier in the season it was said that only Daniel has the ability to end the contract early and there is a rumour going around that Daniel has until the end of September to tell McLaren whether or not he will exercise his option for next season. Unless he has something better lined up there is no way he won't.

As you said, we don't know for sure what Daniel's contract is like but we can go by what is speculated by the better F1 journos. Earlier in the season it was said that only Daniel has the ability to end the contract early and there is a rumour going around that Daniel has until the end of September to tell McLaren whether or not he will exercise his option for next season. Unless he has something better lined up there is no way he won't.
starting to suspect he's going to get paid out by mclaren and then head over back to alpine

starting to suspect he's going to get paid out by mclaren and then head over back to alpine

Depends on how salty the higher ups still are from the way he left. Even after he left he has seemed to have a good relationship with Cyril so if he were still there I reckon there would be a greater chance. Otmar seems like a right campaigner to work for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Robinson number 2 In the surfing world. 2 more heats to win in California next month and we have a Western Australian world champ.

He's been epic this year. I've been watching on with KAYO a bit

Aussies are up and about the top 10.

Anyone who doesn't think its a professional sport have rocks in their head just how hard mentally and physically you have to be to surf Teahupo

Zak Brown is a stone cold killer. Punts Ricciardo, likely pumps for a rookie.

giphy.gif

Nick Kyrios has gone down in 5 sets at the US open, good effort and hopefully he can continue his new found form and commitment now that he seems more settled.

He will ever be one of those players who the public love but I grudgingly admit I was disappointed for him for the first time ever.

Nick Kyrios has gone down in 5 sets at the US open, good effort and hopefully he can continue his new found form and commitment now that he seems more settled.

He will ever be one of those players who the public love but I grudgingly admit I was disappointed for him for the first time ever.
It seems to me that he got a lot of belief from winning the Aus Open doubles, he's taken huge strides in his singles career ever since. Let's hope he keeps this up and wins the grand slam that no one thought he was capable of.

Has potential to be better than Keith miller.
Fixed. Miller was gun, but he underachieved with the bat at test level. If Green hits 100% of his potential, he'll go into the conversation with Bradman as the greatest cricketer. No pressure. Never seen a bloke who had ATG batting talent and world class bowling talent.

I just wish he had a sexier bowling action.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back