Resource 2022 Provisional AFL Draft Order - Complete to the end of trade period!

Remove this Banner Ad

Francis (Essendon) with pick 42 traded to Sydney for pick 37 and F4 (Syd)
Weideman (Melbourne) with picks 54 and 72 traded to Essendon for picks 37

Essendon get: Sam Weideman, pick 54, pick 72
Melbourne get: pick 37

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 15.44.29.png

Dunkley (Western Bulldogs) with F3 (Melb) and F3 (WB) to Brisbane for #21, F1 (Bris), F2 (Bris), F4 (Geel)
Official confirmation now starting to come through, beginning with Josh Dunkley.

Brisbane get: Josh Dunkley and two future third round picks (Melb & WB)
Western Bulldogs get: pick 21, a future 1st round pick (tied to Brisbane), future 2nd round pick (tied to Brisbane), and a future 4th round pick (tied to Geelong)

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 20.23.29.png

Three-way trade: Stephens (Geelong) and picks 41 and 50 traded to Hawthorn, Henry (Collingwood) and pick 25 traded to Geelong, Mitchell (Hawthorn) to Collingwood
Lobb (Fremantle) to Western Bulldogs for pick 30 and F2 (WB)

Western Bulldogs get: Rory Lobb
Fremantle get: pick 30, a future 2nd round pick (tied to Western Bulldogs)

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 20.35.39.png

Cross referenced to the one on the AFL website and everything looks to be the same so that's good. At least for the 2022 order.

As usual their records of who got which future pick are a mess and a muddle, looks out of date relative to the last few trades that went through and the muddle of Brisbane trading Collingwood or GWS's F2 to GC for Berry is also there, or half there as different clubs all seem to think they have the same picks, or sent them to someone who doesn't have it or whatever.

GOOD NEWS LORE!

The fun doesn't stop.

Still got the intervening trades to come.

The draft order AIN'T set.
Yep. We’ll see if anything actually happens though (we’ve had like two pick trades between trade period and the draft over the last few years put together).

Then it can change again on draft night as well…

Yep. We’ll see if anything actually happens though (we’ve had like two pick trades between trade period and the draft over the last few years put together).

Then it can change again on draft night as well…

Surely this thread doesn't get added to on the night. (Or nights.)

Surely this thread doesn't get added to on the night. (Or nights.)
I still update the draft order on draft night and put in the names of who gets drafted, with the ins and the rainbow pick summary, but no screenshot posts. it all happens too quickly and is too murky for that.

I still update the draft order on draft night and put in the names of who gets drafted, with the ins and the rainbow pick summary, but no screenshot posts. it all happens too quickly and is too murky for that.
Thanks Lore for all your work, this resource is invaluable.

Speaking of ‘ins‘, Hawthorn also got Meek. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again, brilliant work Lore. Thanks for your efforts and patience in running the truth to ground.

were not worthy waynes world GIF

See OP for details: click here

For the future pick tracker: click here

To embed this elsewhere on the forum please copy and paste the code below:
Code:
[MEDIA="googlespreadsheetnew"]1--fyO9tvOZ1a2l5hlIkc_jpb87U092WFnWfYr2t7D48[/MEDIA]
Hey Lore, thanks for your efforts with this spreadsheet. Over on the Lions board we have been watching with eagle eyes over the last couple of weeks!

A suggestion... You could have a border to the right of a cell demonstrating how many list spots as club has available, and thus how many of the draft picks they are actually able to use. Obviously this will be fluid as players are delisted etc over the coming weeks, but this seems to be pretty well publicised these days so shouldn't be too hard to keep track of?

You could probably do something with conditional formatting etc, and linking to the draftguru site if they are keeping their data up to date at the moment.

Just a thought.

Hey Lore, thanks for your efforts with this spreadsheet. Over on the Lions board we have been watching with eagle eyes over the last couple of weeks!

A suggestion... You could have a border to the right of a cell demonstrating how many list spots as club has available, and thus how many of the draft picks they are actually able to use. Obviously this will be fluid as players are delisted etc over the coming weeks, but this seems to be pretty well publicised these days so shouldn't be too hard to keep track of?

You could probably do something with conditional formatting etc, and linking to the draftguru site if they are keeping their data up to date at the moment.

Just a thought.
If I could figure out how to do it in a way that was accurate and reliable without involving stupid amounts of manual legwork and time that I don't have, I would.

A few years ago I tried removing picks from the draft order based on delistings and it was so complex and so difficult and still ended up being more than a little bit inaccurate. It's almost impossible to keep up to date with all the trades, delistings, rookie upgrades, international signings, etc for every list, you're trying to track about 30% of the 800 players in the league. And that's assuming that the data you start with is accurate, which it often isn't.

Meanwhile some clubs struggle to publicise a basic re-signing or delisting, let alone anything more specific than that, so you're not just trying to read every tweet from 18 clubs, but then you're also manually checking their websites every day and often googling their names looking for updated contract information as well. It's >insane<

Which likewise means that footywire/draftguru aren't likely to be perfectly accurate either as they don't have any more information than that which is publicly available either.

For the last few years my strategy has been to wait until the AFL releases their pre-draft order about 3 days before the draft and then I'll remove excess picks accordingly.

I think the most reliable thing would probably be to crowdsource information, like enlist posters from each club to keep track of their club's lists and update the information but not every club has posters like that who would be willing and you'd still get arguments. 🤷‍♀️

If I could figure out how to do it in a way that was accurate and reliable without involving stupid amounts of manual legwork and time that I don't have, I would.

A few years ago I tried removing picks from the draft order based on delistings and it was so complex and so difficult and still ended up being more than a little bit inaccurate. It's almost impossible to keep up to date with all the trades, delistings, rookie upgrades, international signings, etc for every list, you're trying to track about 30% of the 800 players in the league. And that's assuming that the data you start with is accurate, which it often isn't.

Meanwhile some clubs struggle to publicise a basic re-signing or delisting, let alone anything more specific than that, so you're not just trying to read every tweet from 18 clubs, but then you're also manually checking their websites every day and often googling their names looking for updated contract information as well. It's >insane
Which likewise means that footywire/draftguru aren't likely to be perfectly accurate either as they don't have any more information than that which is publicly available either.

For the last few years my strategy has been to wait until the AFL releases their pre-draft order about 3 days before the draft and then I'll remove excess picks accordingly.

I think the most reliable thing would probably be to crowdsource information, like enlist posters from each club to keep track of their club's lists and update the information but not every club has posters like that who would be willing and you'd still get arguments. 🤷‍♀️

My personal thanks Lore, we are all grateful for the work you put into this, and of course making the phantom draft order each year makes running one of those easy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Meanwhile some clubs struggle to publicise a basic re-signing or delisting, let alone anything more specific than that, so you're not just trying to read every tweet from 18 clubs, but then you're also manually checking their websites every day and often googling their names looking for updated contract information as well. It's >insane<

All makes sense. We had a devil of a time working out which future pick we traded to the Gold Coast (ie whether it was our own, GWS's - from our swap of pick 15 - or Collingwood's - from the Bobby Hill trade), and I'm not sure anyone ever clarified that adequately either!

Then there was the question of how we managed to complete the Dunkley trade and finishing up without both a future 1st AND a future 4th.

Sometimes I wonder if the AFL have built this great big system, and it all looks like this well oiled machine from the outside. But they keep whacking new bits on the side, and in some backroom somewhere it's all held together with sticky tape, just making it up as they go along.

All makes sense. We had a devil of a time working out which future pick we traded to the Gold Coast (ie whether it was our own, GWS's - from our swap of pick 15 - or Collingwood's - from the Bobby Hill trade), and I'm not sure anyone ever clarified that adequately either!
We were going over it in the 23 thread as well, I ended up asking the AFL's Queensland-based journo;

End result is that Brisbane traded GWS' 2nd to Gold Coast.
Then there was the question of how we managed to complete the Dunkley trade and finishing up without both a future 1st AND a future 4th.
Also looked at that one, I think we concluded that having multiple 3rd rounders offset the lack of 4th rounder.
Sometimes I wonder if the AFL have built this great big system, and it all looks like this well oiled machine from the outside. But they keep whacking new bits on the side, and in some backroom somewhere it's all held together with sticky tape, just making it up as they go along.
This is true 🤣

Brisbane trade pick 56 to Adelaide for F4 (Freo)
North Melbourne trade #59 and F2 (NM) to Adelaide for #23
North Melbourne trade F4 (tied to Hawthorn) to Fremantle for #43

Remove this Banner Ad

Back