• Richmond Tigers

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Essendon

Votes: 15 1.1%
  • Port Power

Votes: 9 0.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Often we see a side slip away who we thought were middle of the road.

St Kilda are probably the team who appear to be ok, but could tumble quickly and fall to bottom 4, or even a spoon.

They weren't great in 2021; what's their upside, and how will they even maintain their current position?

They'll likely be bottom 4. With a bad injury run, a spoon is a real possibility for St Kilda in 2022.

St Kilda are probably the team who appear to be ok, but could tumble quickly and fall to bottom 4, or even a spoon.

They weren't great in 2021; what's their upside, and how will they even maintain their current position?

They'll likely be bottom 4. With a bad injury run, a spoon is a real possibility for St Kilda in 2022.

After 2020, St Kilda were vastly overrated for 2021, even by ourselves judging by the trade period. A putrid first half of the season was not helped by a very long injury list. With a proper full pre season into the younger players, the second half of the season giving us momentum and a bit more luck on the injury front, I cannot see us anywhere near the bottom 4, let alone a spoon.

I know you think you are being clever but you aren't clever.

If you think he's going to casually brush off a busted leg and come back and dominate in 2022 you are delusional

Cooked.

Bookmark this post.
I think you are delusional to believe Pie fans think he hasn't already slowed down considerably.

He is really there to provide some experience on the ground and direction to the kids.

Time to move on from the Pies buddy. Seems to pain you.

Just to underline that, the best win was r22 v the Doggies and the highest draft pick playing taken by the hawks on that day was Tim O'brien pick 28 in 2012.
Sure plenty of the 10 traded in players were originally drafted higher or were exchanged for earlier draft picks - McEvoy Scrimshaw Wingard Mitchell (f/s) but plenty of them were rookied or taken psd msd at some point - seven players
You may need to change your name....

voted with heart, not head.
wc always find a way to do ok. must be that deal with the devil.

Not unusual to see a middle of the road side fall away. Carlton, Freo , Saints , Tigers in that group currently. Don't see the Saints in spoon conversation. Not good enough for top 6 but list too good for bottom 6. Blues are similar. West Coast also in this mid tier grouping. Their senior core is old. They could slide with a poor injury run. All these sides I've mentioned had a poor injury run last year and were up the top of the best 22 games lost to injury on DATA rankings,
The Saints headed this list quite handsomely. A half decent injury run , and they will be fine.
Doesn't take much to make your club nosedive however.

Too early to be definative on who will win the spoon. Injuries might be the number factor as the season progresses
I'd lean more to will than might. The 4 rebuilding sides North, Adelaide, Collingwood and Hawthorn - if they have losses early and injuries early and finals are well out of the equation, blooding more kids and finishing closer to bottom than mid tier will be more appealing for higher draft picks.

I'd lean more to will than might. The 4 rebuilding sides North, Adelaide, Collingwood and Hawthorn - if they have losses early and injuries early and finals are well out of the equation, blooding more kids and finishing closer to bottom than mid tier will be more appealing for higher draft picks.

No doubt. Will be interesting how the Suns travel early on, normally they start reasonable well then drop away dramatically

No doubt. Will be interesting how the Suns travel early on, normally they start reasonable well then drop away dramatically
They have a far more talented young group than the other 4 clubs starting their rebuilds . By a considerable margin.Would love some of their youth at the Saints! But they are very young again. 15th age - 17th games. They often start well and really fizzle out after the break don't they. Lack of leadership and experience probably puts them in wooden spoon calculations, but IMO the talent on their list shouldn't have them in the discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm tipping a big fall off for the Eagles, no young talent, JK cooked, Shepp retired, reckon a couple more will fall to the Vax mandate too, also contemplating McGowan doing something stupid and locking them out of home games in the first half of the season so no home ground advantage that they normally rely on.

Could be a very grim year for the Eagles.

FGEZUkCVEAMF-6O

Too early to be definative on who will win the spoon. Injuries might be the number factor as the season progresses
I could see North or Carlton 'winning' the spoon if one of Ben McKay or Weitering went down with a season ending injury. Both clubs are light on good key defenders, particularly with Tarrant leaving North and Jones leaving Carlton.

I could see North or Carlton 'winning' the spoon if one of Ben McKay or Weitering went down with a season ending injury. Both clubs are light on good key defenders, particularly with Tarrant leaving North and Jones leaving Carlton.

I think we have reasonable cover with MacDonald and Young, but we are very thin.

Couple of SSP options that I hope we look at to fill that void

This will change dramatically come end of next year and then definitely will be a lot lower the following year.

All of Dahlhaus (30), Selwood (34), S. Higgins (34), I. Smith (34 - could possibly get a year's extension), Rohan (31 - could possibly get a year's extension), Tuohy (32 - could possibly get a year' s extension) all a chance to retire next year - depending on how we go

All of Hawkins (34), I. Smith (35), Rohan (32), Stanley (32), Tuohy (33), Ceglar (32), will be gone come end of 2023.

That's a fair list change in age demographic, when you have 9 players over the age of 30 all departing in the next 2 years. Then Duncan, Danger, Menegola and Blicavs the following season.

Old as f*ck right now, but I suspect with our massive personnel changes, our large draft focus this year, and S. Hocking's arrival - someone who acknowledges that we haven't played enough kids and wants to focus on youth development - that things will be markedly different come 2023/2024.

Even if Clarkson was a huge factor in our late season wins, he did it without Gunston, Sicily, Day, Jiath and Impey. Moore missed a few also.

It was revealed yesterday that every single Hawthorn listed player is currently in line to be fit for round 1

So the question remains, is a full strength Hawks side a genuine wooden spoon favourite simply because Sam Mitchell is coaching and not Clarko?

While I understand it's pointless trying to argue with people about a wooden spoon prediction, (1. Because who cares? and 2. Because nobody can see the future) most Hawthorn supporters posting in here believe our demise is lazily being exaggerated simply because of who is coaching.
I actually like your list and think you are way ahead of expectations...

But other clubs had worse Injuries.

E.g. Freo, North, Eagles

This will change dramatically come end of next year and then definitely will be a lot lower the following year.

All of Dahlhaus (30), Selwood (34), S. Higgins (34), I. Smith (34 - could possibly get a year's extension), Rohan (31 - could possibly get a year's extension), Tuohy (32 - could possibly get a year' s extension) all a chance to retire next year - depending on how we go

All of Hawkins (34), I. Smith (35), Rohan (32), Stanley (32), Tuohy (33), Ceglar (32), will be gone come end of 2023.

That's a fair list change in age demographic, when you have 9 players over the age of 30 all departing in the next 2 years. Then Duncan, Danger, Menegola and Blicavs the following season.

Old as f*ck right now, but I suspect with our massive personnel changes, our large draft focus this year, and S. Hocking's arrival - someone who acknowledges that we haven't played enough kids and wants to focus on youth development - that things will be markedly different come 2023/2024.

2023 spoon for cats but that isn't a bad thing.

Back