List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

On the Suns board, one of the biggest knock on Bowes is that he is slow.

Lions need more leg speed, not less.

Given he spent parts of the season out of the GC best 22, there is no certainty that he would be in our best 22.

I’ve always thought to trade in a player they really should be in your best 15 (or to fill a positional role). Otherwise, even if Bowes did play off the bench, and pushed out a similar quality player like an Ah Chee or Prior), you end up no better off, but actually worse off due to a greater salary cap squeeze.

Given he spent parts of the season out of the GC best 22, there is no certainty that he would be in our best 22.

I’ve always thought to trade in a player they really should be in your best 15 (or to fill a positional role). Otherwise, even if Bowes did play off the bench, and pushed out a similar quality player like an Ah Chee or Prior), you end up no better off, but actually worse off due to a greater salary cap squeeze.

Yep, give me Conor McKenna over Bowes.

If we pull McKenna off then I wouldn't waste time on Bowes - who cares about next year's draft if we can bring in Dunkley, Ashcroft, Gunston, McKenna and Fletcher.

6krb37ivjys61.jpg

He’s not slow. He moves somewhat like McCluggage. He’s more inside and not as silky.

The only time he missed last year from the Suns, was when he had shoulder surgery at the beginning of the year.

However he played predominantly half back, because of the Suns depth in their midfield, and them prioritising the development of other players, like Alex Davies and Elijah Hollands.

This bit below from a ESPN article on Brisbane
They mention the known Dunkley, Gunston, Ashcroft & Fletcher
With Brisbane likely to be limited after matching bids on Ashcroft and Fletcher in who they can draft, Casey Voss, the son of Michael, is a budget friendly defender Brisbane are likely to be able to select as a rookie, given he was overlooked in last year's drafts and again this year during the mid-season draft. Winner of the Fos Williams Medal for best-on-ground in the annual SANFL vs. WAFL match, Voss is a plug-and-play defender who adds value as an intercepter, rebounder and competitor who can provide an immediate upgrade for Brisbane's defence.
Had a look at his 2022 SANFL stats
21 yrs, 182cm, 80kg, played 19 games in 2022
Average:- Disposals 23.8 (18K & 6H) @ 92% efficiency, Marks 8.8 Tackles 2.2

With Brisbane likely to be limited after matching bids on Ashcroft and Fletcher in who they can draft, Casey Voss, the son of Michael, is a budget friendly defender Brisbane are likely to be able to select as a rookie, given he was overlooked in last year's drafts and again this year during the mid-season draft. Winner of the Fos Williams Medal for best-on-ground in the annual SANFL vs. WAFL match, Voss is a plug-and-play defender who adds value as an intercepter, rebounder and competitor who can provide an immediate upgrade for Brisbane's defence.
That’s Knightmare right?

Sounds like a great option for our VFL team. Sadly, I don't think Voss is an AFL calibre player.

Sounds like a great option for our VFL team. Sadly, I don't think Voss is an AFL calibre player.
It seems like every year we are always linked with him, given his father’s connection of course.

He’s been doing pretty well for Sturt for the past 2-3 years over here in the SANFL and even won the BOG medal in the SANFL vs WAFL match last year, but I just don’t we need another half-back at our club cause we are stacked with those type of players at the club.

He wouldn’t be the worst option to draft though for another club out there, just no need to draft that type of player.

He’s not slow. He moves somewhat like McCluggage. He’s more inside and not as silky.

The only time he missed last year from the Suns, was when he had shoulder surgery at the beginning of the year.

However he played predominantly half back, because of the Suns depth in their midfield, and them prioritising the development of other players, like Alex Davies and Elijah Hollands.
Briztoon regarding the bolded.
Just to be clear to others this is correct if you include VFL games
People could interpret the bolded as he only missed AFL games

His first game back from shoulder surgery was R6 VFL on 1st May
He then played VFL in rounds 7, 9, 10 & 11 that being on 5 th June 2022

He then got a run at AFL level for rounds 14 (June 19), 15, 16, 17 and 18 that being on 17th July his last AFL game for the season.

After being dropped to the VFL he played R18, 19, 21, 22, 23, SF & PF

All up 17 games, 5 AFL and 12 VFL games so his shoulder stood up well for the year

Last edited:
It seems like every year we are always linked with him, given his father’s connection of course.

He’s been doing pretty well for Sturt for the past 2-3 years over here in the SANFL and even won the BOG medal in the SANFL vs WAFL match last year, but I just don’t we need another half-back at our club cause we are stacked with those type of players at the club.

He wouldn’t be the worst option to draft though for another club out there, just no need to draft that type of player.
Yes i just saw the article so thought i would post it seeing the Voss connection

I do think we need a defender but more a tall intercept type
See what happens regarding lists spots after the trade period

Yes, his shoulder did delay his season, he missed the first 5 rounds. But after just 5 senior appearances, he was dropped R19 and spent the final 5 rounds in the reserves.

Played 5 senior games and 12 in the reserves.

Briztoon regarding the bolded.
Just to be clear to others this is correct if you include VFL games
People could interpret the bolded as he only missed AFL games

His first game back from shoulder surgery was R6 VFL on 1st May
He then played VFL in rounds 7, 9, 10 & 11 that being on 5 th June 2022

He then got a run at AFL level for rounds 14 (June 19), 15, 16, 17 and 18 that being on 17th July his last AFL game for the season.

After being dropped to the VFL he played R18, 19, 21, 22, 23, SF & PF

All up 17 games, 5 AFL and 12 VFL games sp his shoulder stood up well for the year
You bet me too it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes i just saw the article so thought i would post it seeing the Voss connection

I do think we need a defender but more a tall intercept type
See what happens regarding lists spots after the trade period
As mentioned before, maybe we could look at either Riley Greene or Harrison Arnold from our VFL set-up to help our depth in that department (via rookie draft), as both looked really good down back in our VFL side and could easily fill a spot in our AFL team for 2023 and beyond (if needed).

He's the Sam Power for the new generation.

FWIW

"The Lions will offer the Bulldogs their future first-round pick to try to secure Josh Dunkley. Gold Coast will discuss a trade with St Kilda for Ben Long as well as tying to secure a deal with Brisbane for forward Tom Berry to move to the Suns for a third- or fourth-round pick."

Pick 15 is about 1.1k points, how many more points would you guys be looking to get back in from a deal? We might be a suitable team as we have pick 20, 26 and 27 from Rioli trade

Yep same guy who said we got the two best defenders (McStay and Gardiner) in a year of poor KP talent.

Other than his bizarre over rating of academy talent he is pretty good.

Pick 15 is about 1.1k points, how many more points would you guys be looking to get back in from a deal? We might be a suitable team as we have pick 20, 26 and 27 from Rioli trade

Based on recent points trades for first round picks, I reckon we'd be aiming for a surplus around ~500 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back