List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely, its the risk you take rookie drafting any player.

Anyway, its done now we cant change it. Im excited about the lads we drafted and am really looking forward to seeing what happens with our drafting/FA approach this year.

The scouting team have made a point of saying they’re not going to draft any key defender simply to fill the whole.

I reckon they must think they need someone with pretty specific talents to cover the position.

Highly skilled interceptors maybe a type of player they think is more likely to aquire via trade or high draft pick.

The logic is pretty sound, we desperately need/needed a key back and we didnt get it. To be 100% honest i would have taken Dean in front of Curtis, but obviosuly that remains to be seen.

Its not really a matter of where other clubs rated him, we didnt need to keep Polec, which would have meant we would have got him.

Theres been a lot of chat on here recently about the fact if we draft a key defender this year they will be 5 years behind LDU, Jy, TT etc. Dean would not have been as he is older.

We didn't address the need. If we drafted Dean we wouldnt be chatting about how we can plug a hole at seasons end.

Curtis wasn’t the last player picked, it was Archer.

As much as I like the sentimentality and he’s impressed me at training, I’m taking Curtis over Archer every day of the week.

The logic is pretty sound, we desperately need/needed a key back and we didnt get it. To be 100% honest i would have taken Dean in front of Curtis, but obviosuly that remains to be seen.

Its not really a matter of where other clubs rated him, we didnt need to keep Polec, which would have meant we would have got him.

Theres been a lot of chat on here recently about the fact if we draft a key defender this year they will be 5 years behind LDU, Jy, TT etc. Dean would not have been as he is older.

We didn't address the need. If we drafted Dean we wouldnt be chatting about how we can plug a hole at seasons end.
The club made it clear they want the RIGHT key back, not A key back, multiple times too. Devil is in the detail.

Last edited:
32. Jacob Edwards

Forget the fact that we drafted him 6 months ago. The reality is that he is a young skinny big man & they take time. Comes into the season behind CCJ & Chom as the forward/ pinch hitting ruckman but their presence allows us time to develop him. Will start in the VFL as primarily a forward until he puts on some beef. The talent is there but like Chom we all need to be patient.

The scouting team have made a point of saying they’re not going to draft any key defender simply to fill the whole.

I reckon they must think they need someone with pretty specific talents to cover the position.

Highly skilled interceptors maybe a type of player they think is more likely to aquire via trade or high draft pick.

I suspect we are putting immense work into a few players who fit the bill right now.

We clearly did that with Corr and he came over smoothly. We clearly did it with CCJ and some amusing Tiger tears aside, that went smoothly.

I would bet all three of my nuts that there's two or three blokes who have been identified and their management are having deep conversations with Brady and co right now.

These plans may not come to fruition for the best part of two years either. As in putting in the work now for players movement at the end of '23.

I suspect we are putting immense work into a few players who fit the bill right now.

We clearly did that with Corr and he came over smoothly. We clearly did it with CCJ and some amusing Tiger tears aside, that went smoothly.

I would bet all three of my nuts that there's two or three blokes who have been identified and their management are having deep conversations with Brady and co right now.

These plans may not come to fruition for the best part of two years either. As in putting in the work now for players movement at the end of '23.

Contrary to some conflicting comments I don't think we need to look at selling the farm no panicking about KPDs just yet either.

Would back your bet that we're putting work into viable players and decent state league KPDs seem to pop up often enough to serve the purpose.

Then there's the prospect of repositioning one of our existing talls too as has been raised.

You generally can't pull a ready to go high quality key forward or midfielder out of your arse at draft time, but clubs regularly stumble on good to very good small forwards or tall defenders from lower leagues.

Contrary to some conflicting comments I don't think we need to look at selling the farm no panicking about KPDs just yet either.

Would back your bet that we're putting work into viable players and decent state league KPDs seem to pop up often enough to serve the purpose.

Then there's the prospect of repositioning one of our existing talls too as has been raised.

You generally can't pull a ready to go high quality key forward or midfielder out of your arse at draft time, but clubs regularly stumble on good to very good small forwards or tall defenders from lower leagues.
Then why not keep a spot for someone decent mid year just in case?
2 outs of mckay, corr and walker and we're in trouble.

I'm on the same page, no judgement on Tom Lynch but he must be Vince Lombardi for us to be forgoing a list spot to get his coaching expertise at the club.

Am coming from the view that you take every single shot you can at bringing in and trialing playing talent because your odds of success are so low. And that would've included taking a #1 rookie draft pick.

Understand the club's move and hope Lynch proves a very canny acquisition of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have had the longest injury list now for a few years running, I'm sure an LTI will occur and that becomes an option. Jed still isn't vaxxed, so who knows.

It'd be more concerning if it was going to be the difference between running 4th or 7th. Right now it could be the difference between finishing 13th or 16th.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I'm on the same page, no judgement on Tom Lynch but he must be Vince Lombardi for us to be forgoing a list spot to get his coaching expertise at the club.

Am coming from the view that you take every single shot you can at bringing in and trialing playing talent because your odds of success are so low. And that would've included taking a #1 rookie draft pick.

Understand the club's move and hope Lynch proves a very canny acquisition of course.
Surely taking a free hit in Edwards, equal to a 1st round pick, as a rookie can satisfy the blood lust for a rookie.

Taking a large number of players on the main draft also, what's this obsession with rookie picks. We have just brought in JHF, Goat, Curtis, Edwards, Archer, Bergman. Why another rookie? Is 6 not enough? Particularly ones taken in the main draft so therefore rated by us and potentially 17 clubs as higher than the 1st pick in a rookie draft. We also brought in Greenwood and Lynch, a midfield Bull and a forward coach who can play a good pinch in the seniors.

SO why rotate the tyres on a rookie pick? We took one, mid year. Lynch doesn't need to be Lombardi if the players identified in that rookie bracket aren't deemed worthy of a spot.

Dean ahead of Bergman you mean?

It'd be more concerning if it was going to be the difference between running 4th or 7th. Right now it could be the difference between finishing 13th or 16th.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Not having enough Tall key defenders to cover 2 talls during a game of footy is pretty concerning to me.
We don't even have 1 on the list developing through the VFL system and that's a problem IMO.
*forgot about mcguiness.

Last edited:
Not having enough Tall key defenders to cover 2 talls during a game of footy is pretty concerning to me.
We don't even have 1 on the list developing through the VFL system and that's a problem IMO.
Potentially it is. However the club doesn't want to develop to someone they don't rate, which is what they have made quite clear multiple times.

And they are developing mcguiness.

Last edited:
Surely taking a free hit in Edwards, equal to a 1st round pick, as a rookie can satisfy the blood lust for a rookie.

Taking a large number of players on the main draft also, what's this obsession with rookie picks. We have just brought in JHF, Goat, Curtis, Edwards, Archer, Bergman. Why another rookie? Is 6 not enough? Particularly ones taken in the main draft so therefore rated by us and potentially 17 clubs as higher than the 1st pick in a rookie draft. We also brought in Greenwood and Lynch, a midfield Bull and a forward coach who can play a good pinch in the seniors.

SO why rotate the tyres on a rookie pick? We took one, mid year. Lynch doesn't need to be Lombardi if the players identified in that rookie bracket aren't deemed worthy of a spot.

For whatever reason the clubs seem to ease their conditions and take successful players in rookie drafts who they collectively overlooked in the late rounds of the ND.

So the ability to give a Charlie Dean (just as an example) a shot as a rookie was still worth it IMO even though he might've failed the criteria for our ND selections.

Imagine we had gone with an approach of "that's enough players brought in via the ND now, the rest are leftovers" when we went to the rookie draft to take Firrito or Zurhaar?

With regards to Edwards it was a bonus to have a rated prospect pop up at the MSD but I don't view it as we collected our one bonus bounty for the year and leave it there. I'm betting there was some NQR prospect in 2021 equivalent to where Edwards was 12 months prior we could've trialed via a 1 year rookie deal to add to our pool of speculative talent.

For whatever reason the clubs seem to ease their conditions and take successful players in rookie drafts who they collectively overlooked in the late rounds of the ND.

So the ability to give a Charlie Dean (just as an example) a shot as a rookie was still worth it IMO even though he might've failed the criteria for our ND selections.

Imagine we had gone with an approach of "that's enough players brought in via the ND now, the rest are leftovers" when we went to the rookie draft to take Firrito or Zurhaar?

With regards to Edwards it was a bonus to have a rated prospect pop up at the MSD but I don't view it as we collected our one bonus bounty for the year and leave it there. I'm betting there was some NQR prospect in 2021 equivalent to where Edwards was 12 months prior we could've trialed via a 1 year rookie deal to add to our pool of speculative talent.
Ok, but I'd the club wanted Dean, we would have him. It's a want for another player for wants sake. We probably identified who we wanted, missed on a couple of them and grabbed the next best and the rookie list wasnt seen as a high priority given we have Edwards and mcguiness on there. Perhaps the firrito and zurhaar rookie equivalents are already on our rookie list KC. We don't continually need to refresh kids for the sake of it if we are happy with the ones we have

There's better arguments about using live picks and futures to get the talent we want but don't have the equity in hand rather than the merit of a rookie pick we or 17 other clubs didnt see fit to draft, particularly when we have some promising ones already on the list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back