List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Potentially it is. However the club doesn't want to develop to someone they don't rate, which is what they have made quite clear multiple times.

And they are developing mcguiness.
Yeah I forgot about mcguiness. Will amend the original post

I suspect we are putting immense work into a few players who fit the bill right now.

We clearly did that with Corr and he came over smoothly. We clearly did it with CCJ and some amusing Tiger tears aside, that went smoothly.

I would bet all three of my nuts that there's two or three blokes who have been identified and their management are having deep conversations with Brady and co right now.

These plans may not come to fruition for the best part of two years either. As in putting in the work now for players movement at the end of '23.
Can you get a cream for that 🤣

Ok, but I'd the club wanted Dean, we would have him. It's a want for another player for wants sake. We probably identified who we wanted, missed on a couple of them and grabbed the next best and the rookie list wasnt seen as a high priority given we have Edwards and mcguiness on there. Perhaps the firrito and zurhaar rookie equivalents are already on our rookie list KC. We don't continually need to refresh kids for the sake of it if we are happy with the ones we have

Partly agree with some of that but in a sense, yes there is a want for another player for wants sake. I'm imagining the club would rate tiers of prospects and there would be someone who might lack in one area but has potential upside they would punt 12 months on. I'd be sure of that in fact.

Only mentioning Dean as example I don't have any sort of educated view on whether he'll make it beyond his reputation.

You might well be right in Edwards and McGuinness playing those speculative rookie roles on our list and us rating the 'leftovers' in 2021 as not worth it.

The hindsight review (or regrets) will come about if anyone who was on the radar from the 2021 rookie draft springs up (even via the 2022 MSD) and nails it, as we chose to forgo gambling on them with the #1 rookie pick.

If nobody particularly brains it -and- Lynch proves seminal in the development of our list then it's a win overall.

Partly agree with some of that but in a sense, yes there is a want for another player for wants sake. I'm imagining the club would rate tiers of prospects and there would be someone who might lack in one area but has potential upside they would punt 12 months on. I'd be sure of that in fact.

Only mentioning Dean as example I don't have any sort of educated view on whether he'll make it beyond his reputation.

You might well be right in Edwards and McGuinness playing those speculative rookie roles on our list and us rating the 'leftovers' in 2021 as not worth it.

The hindsight review (or regrets) will come about if anyone who was on the radar from the 2021 rookie draft springs up (even via the 2022 MSD) and nails it, as we chose to forgo gambling on them with the #1 rookie pick.

If nobody particularly brains it -and- Lynch proves seminal in the development of our list then it's a win overall.
But those hindsight regrets emerge with every pick at the draft, not just a rookie pick. The fact remains that we rookie polec to share Bergman, a national draft pick. To advocate taking the number one rookie then you by proxy are advocating the complete delisting of Polec, which the club didn't seem interested in doing thus making the conversation about pick 1 almost null and void. We've got rookies, we've got kids, when and where we get them doesn't really matter if they can play.

And further to the discussion about Polec, we rookied him to create space for a national draft spot. If we didn't have polec rookied then we wouldn't have Bergman, and probably could have had Dean. Obviously they went the former, and probably because they rated Bergman or whoever was available at that pick naturally higher than the rest. As it should be, given the 1st rookie taken is actually the 68th pick in 2021

Last edited:
Not all key defenders started their careers there.

We have a surplus amount of tall young prospects who may struggle to get games in the forwar dhalf or ruck. (Xerri, Edwards, Comben)

I would gamble that one these guys needs to turn themselves into a KPD. Steven May did it, so did Darcy Moore. Its not unachievable.
So did R Tarrant

Resourcing is so underrated when it comes to list profiles and development.

We’ve brought through so many kids over the last few years, each additional young recruit is less time spent on development for JHF, Goat, etc.

Like class sizes to teacher ratios, there comes a tipping point and I suspect we’ve reached it for now.

Contrary to some conflicting comments I don't think we need to look at selling the farm no panicking about KPDs just yet either.

Would back your bet that we're putting work into viable players and decent state league KPDs seem to pop up often enough to serve the purpose.

Then there's the prospect of repositioning one of our existing talls too as has been raised.

You generally can't pull a ready to go high quality key forward or midfielder out of your arse at draft time, but clubs regularly stumble on good to very good small forwards or tall defenders from lower leagues.

Yeah, we'll see.

It would be nice to find a Sam Collins in the VFL.

We may also think giving Nick Haynes a last payday in 2023 could drive us into the top 4.

Yeah, we'll see.

We may also think giving Nick Haynes a last payday in 2023 could drive us into the top 4.

If it's via FA then all for it.

If it's via an early draft selection, GWS can suck my pick.

Cooper is currently projected to be picked in the 30s.

Would take a very strong year, and dominant Vic metro games to see him jump into the first round.

A pick that would of been well after our now gone second rounder

Yeah, we'll see.

We’d first have to draft a kpd for that to happen

The logic is pretty sound, we desperately need/needed a key back and we didnt get it. To be 100% honest i would have taken Dean in front of Curtis, but obviosuly that remains to be seen.

Its not really a matter of where other clubs rated him, we didnt need to keep Polec, which would have meant we would have got him.

Theres been a lot of chat on here recently about the fact if we draft a key defender this year they will be 5 years behind LDU, Jy, TT etc. Dean would not have been as he is older.

We didn't address the need. If we drafted Dean we wouldnt be chatting about how we can plug a hole at seasons end.
You can't just "pay a player out" 2 years of their contract and go and get more players. The value of that contract stays in the clubs salary cap for the duration of the original contract.
You're basically lighting money on 🔥

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not all key defenders started their careers there.

We have a surplus amount of tall young prospects who may struggle to get games in the forwar dhalf or ruck. (Xerri, Edwards, Comben)

I would gamble that one these guys needs to turn themselves into a KPD. Steven May did it, so did Darcy Moore. Its not unachievable.
This.
A lot of current Key Defenders/intercept types started as forwards.

Charlie Comden looks to have all the attributes of a Darcy Moore - tall, fast, athletic & a good set of hands.

I know we all want him to become a great CHF who clunks big marks & kicks bags, but if he struggles a little bit & our young KPF combo of Larkey & CCJ start tearing apart games, I think he has all the tools to play that intercept defender.

I’ll reiterate that I’m not advocating for him to train/play in defence this year or even next, I would prefer him become a star forward of the competition in the years to come, like the rest of us, but that’s easier said than done.
Playing that loose tall in defence is certainly an easier job… he would dominate IMO.
If we went for & got Ben King at the end of this year 🤞 it would definitely be an option.
There are always options.

You can't just "pay a player out" 2 years of their contract and go and get more players. The value of that contract stays in the clubs salary cap for the duration of the original contract.
You're basically lighting money on 🔥
I’d rather light money on fire if it gets us a chance at filling a long term need rather than clogging it with a 30 year old that isn’t best 22

It’s been well reported it’s front ended

900k in his first year I recall
Which esteemed journalist in the highly talented footy industry reported this "fact"?
Kane cornes? Ralphy? Slobbo? Barrett?
You're right. I'm sure they were accurate down to the last cent.
Certainly never any wild speculation or arbitrary figures thrown around when it comes to player movement...

Which esteemed journalist in the highly talented footy industry reported this "fact"?
Kane cornes? Ralphy? Slobbo? Barrett?
You're right. I'm sure they were accurate down to the last cent.
Certainly never any wild speculation or arbitrary figures thrown around when it comes to player movement...
Well where’s your source that it wasn’t front ended

I’d rather light money on fire if it gets us a chance at filling a long term need rather than clogging it with a 30 year old that isn’t best 22
And that is why you are here and not at the club. What is hard to miss? The club didn't think we could address a long term need with the picks available. In essence delisting someone you think is a list clogger and replacing them with someone 17 professional sporting clubs think is a taller list clogger.

And that is why you are here and not at the club. What is hard to miss? The club didn't think we could address a long term need with the picks available. In essence delisting someone you think is a list clogger and replacing them with someone 17 professional sporting clubs think is a taller list clogger.
Well yeah obviously the club thought that, along with it being a poor look if we did get rid of him with more than 1 year left

Doesn’t mean they are right

Polec also is a clogger that all clubs passed on who they could have taken for free

Last edited:
Well yeah obviously the club thought that, along with it being a poor look if we did get rid of him with more than 1 year left

Doesn’t mean they are right

Polec also is a clogger that all clubs passed on who they could have taken for free
Surely the decision to rècruit quality kpd when one is available is something we should get behind. What is the point in having joel tippett when you be patient and potentially get a ben mckay or apples. Its impatience and shiny new toy syndrome from you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back