Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not going to reveal who it was, but I direct messaged a top-10 prospect today and asked, "When will you be joining Hawthorn?" as a bit of a joke. To my surprise, he responded with a brown and gold heart and said it would be his dream to wear the brown and gold. He might be lying; he may be trying to get my excitement up, and it may not mean much, but if true, it's good to know there are top prospects who want to join us on our rise back to the top and will do anything for the guernsey. All I'm saying to those who will try to guess is that it wasn't Harley Reid, McCabe, Lorenz, Dear, or Maginness.

Last edited:
I'm not going to reveal who it was, but I direct messaged a top-10 prospect today and asked, "When will you be joining Hawthorn?" as a bit of a joke. To my surprise, he responded with a brown and gold heart and said it would be his dream to wear the brown and gold. He might be lying; he may be trying to get my excitement up, and it may not mean much, but if true, it's good to know there are top prospects who want to join us on our rise back to the top and will do anything for the guernsey.
Harley seems like a pretty good bloke

I'm not going to reveal who it was, but I direct messaged a top-10 prospect today and asked, "When will you be joining Hawthorn?" as a bit of a joke. To my surprise, he responded with a brown and gold heart and said it would be his dream to wear the brown and gold. He might be lying; he may be trying to get my excitement up, and it may not mean much, but if true, it's good to know there are top prospects who want to join us on our rise back to the top and will do anything for the guernsey. All I'm saying to those who will try to guess is that it wasn't Harley Reid.
Will McCabe seems like a pretty good bloke… OK so I don’t know him but he plays like a taller, skinnier version of Alex Rance and that is a “good enough bloke“ for me. 😂

Last edited:

I'm not going to reveal who it was, but I direct messaged a top-10 prospect today and asked, "When will you be joining Hawthorn?" as a bit of a joke. To my surprise, he responded with a brown and gold heart and said it would be his dream to wear the brown and gold. He might be lying; he may be trying to get my excitement up, and it may not mean much, but if true, it's good to know there are top prospects who want to join us on our rise back to the top and will do anything for the guernsey. All I'm saying to those who will try to guess is that it wasn't Harley Reid.
Surely it was Lorenz.

Harley seems like a pretty good bloke

He reminds me of Trevor Lawrence for any NFL fans out there. He was the number one rated prospect from a young age going to High School and then to College, he was destined to be the number one pick in the draft.

Yet despite all that hype and pressure following him throughout his whole life he comes across as a grounded and genuine kid.

I'm not going to reveal who it was, but I direct messaged a top-10 prospect today and asked, "When will you be joining Hawthorn?" as a bit of a joke. To my surprise, he responded with a brown and gold heart and said it would be his dream to wear the brown and gold. He might be lying; he may be trying to get my excitement up, and it may not mean much, but if true, it's good to know there are top prospects who want to join us on our rise back to the top and will do anything for the guernsey. All I'm saying to those who will try to guess is that it wasn't Harley Reid, McCabe, Lorenz, Dear, or Maginness.
The Wizard?

Wizard.

I'm already sold.

But a massive flog on the field. But a flog you love and need.
Doesn’t seem like a flog on the field to me. What makes you say that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I say massive flog?

I meant to say massive legend. My bad.

Caddy 😍

if hes making the wiz look silly that is ridiculous
Reid is obviously off the charts by all accounts but I wouldn't be shattered if we ended up with Caddy or Durssma as they are more of a position of need. Thrown in Moir as well who I rate only slightly behind. Any which way we'll get a gun at the end of the year no doubt. Exciting!

How highly do you rate Reid compared to no 1 picks of recent times ?
What he was doing in the champs for Vic Country I have not seen that level of dominance as an underager, he was a huge reason they beat SA by 2 points taking half a dozen intercept marks in the last 10 minutes and winning that game off his own influence on the game and then to absolutely smother Nick Watson before going forward taking a few hangers over guys 5 inches taller and out wrestling them in the goal square to nearly deliver VC the championship was unbelievable, also being a standout for Bendigo as well for a good chunk of the year, he is one of the best I've seen in years, up there with Sam Walsh, Nick Daicos who I thought should've been pick 1 and Will Ashcroft who I also thought was pick 1, but FS always go a touch later than predicted.

If he can get those big midfield numbers it will help his cause to go number 1, I know he can win a lot of it forward, he is great aerially, but his goal kicking was a bit inaccurate last year for Bendigo, he plays the Tom Stewart role in defence as an idea of how he plays in that position and has had some good spells in midfield, but it depends where he plays and what he is naturally best at that might determine where he goes in the draft, because if he lacks endurance or accumulation power then a KPP or true midfielder could pip him for pick 1, so we'll see how they go in their all important draft year.

Last edited:
Back