Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Ogilvie said we are roughly looking at 8 players to fill the 2-3 picks …. So who are they ?

Connor O’Sullivan
James Leake
Darcy Wilson
Koltyn Tholstrup ?
Caleb Windsor
Taylor Goad
Harry Demattia ?

Maybe Sanders if looking to move up ( won’t happen in any case )

That would be pretty close …. Who else ?

There was discussion around Essendon's pick and what a trade might look like (from essendon fans and one of their podcast nuffies) - 14 + 20 + Melbourne F2 for 9 + 35.

If we are also after GWS pick, that might be a heavier price 10 + 20 maybe?

But its all guesswork - only a few nights to go and we will know for sure.
Hmm. That would give us 9 and 10, plus a later pick.
Don't mind it actually. As long as we are convinced there are two elite talents at 9 and 10. The later pick gives Ogilvie a chance to be creative. Will Goad slide that far? Another tall? Moir? McAuillife?
Or a Haggis special...

If we get a pick back like 35, it might be worth it.

Ogilvie said we are roughly looking at 8 players to fill the 2-3 picks …. So who are they ?

Connor O’Sullivan
James Leake
Darcy Wilson
Koltyn Tholstrup ?
Caleb Windsor
Taylor Goad
Harry Demattia ?

If we have a deal in thepipeline with GWS to trade up..there is a small chance Curtin is there and I am guessing GWS would have to really have their head turned with a big offer to not just take him themselves.

I would think if we were a chance to get Curtin, the club would go all in draft pickwise

Connor O’Sullivan
James Leake
Darcy Wilson
Koltyn Tholstrup ?
Caleb Windsor
Taylor Goad
Harry Demattia ?

Maybe Sanders if looking to move up ( won’t happen in any case )

Charlie Edwards?

Yeah fair call
Twomey with some comments re GWS pick

IF Curtin is there at 7..I'd be fine with us offering 10 + 14 or 10 + F1 for that pick. IF it was a F1 needed, then I'd try to flip either 14 or 20 back into next year for a F1 and maybe a late pick in this draft

Curtin would be an unbelievable get for us..unless there is massive go home factor there

Mostyn interesting comment, doesn’t have the ability to trade back in for a fourth player is someone slides like a Billy Dowling.

Now who amongst has been mentioning our lack of flexibility due to not having list spots due to retaining a certain player….this is exactly what I’m talking about
I think it's poor list management. Hopefully Sloane offers something next year to make it worthwhile

What’s this about

WCE to trade their F1 with GWS for that pick 7 I was hoping we might get for Curtin if he slides. Also says Melbourne may be very keen on Windsor at 6 as they think GWS could take him at 7..so reading between the lines, IF GWS do that trade, Melbourne probably won't need to pick Windsor at 6 and that could really screw us up for either Wilson and O'Sullivan as Windsor might be the odd man out at our pick of the supposed top enders

ADELAIDE CROWS​

Draft picks: 10, 14, 20, 89
Thanks to their recent wheeling and dealing, the Crows own three selections inside the top 20 ahead of the 2023 draft. It’s no secret that they desire another intercepting tall defender, after losing Tom Doedee to the Lions and failing to lure Harrison Petty away from the Dees. As a result, we could see Adelaide trade up on Monday night in an effort to land Connor O’Sullivan with Geelong’s No. 8 selection a pick they could target. If they can’t find a way to move up the order to snag the Murray Bushrangers backman then James Leake or Riley Hardeman may also fit their needs – with at least one of the duo expected to be on the board when the Crows’ pick rolls around.

Outside of a key backman, Adelaide will want to start thinking about their next generation of midfielders, with Darcy Wilson a draftee that has been linked to the Crows. The line-breaking teen has also shown the ability to push forward and have an impact – making him a perfect addition to a centre-bounce rotation that will utilise Jake Soligo and Josh Rachele in years to come. While Adelaide will be focused on this year’s crop, they would be smart to think ahead and plan for the arrival of Tyler Welsh. The 17-year-old has already turned heads at the junior level and is expected to join the Crows in the 2024 offseason as a father-son prospect. All reports indicate that Welsh will be a top-5 draftee next summer, so trading one or more of their three early picks for future selections to cover a bid for Welsh would be wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCE to trade their F1 with GWS for that pick 7 I was hoping we might get for Curtin if he slides. Also says Melbourne may be very keen on Windsor at 6 as they think GWS could take him at 7..so reading between the lines, IF GWS do that trade, Melbourne probably won't need to pick Windsor at 6 and that could really screw us up for either Wilson and O'Sullivan as Windsor might be the odd man out at our pick of the supposed top enders
Don’t reckon Melb would risk Windsor sliding past us and Essendon, they’d stay true to their talent order

The wildcard will be if the Ess trade happens

Then if not, a choice between Wilson and Leake

I think it's poor list management. Hopefully Sloane offers something next year to make it worthwhile
It’s poor list management even if he does. We need to win the flag and he plays a part for it to pay off because if we miss out on the option of a 10-15 year player for one more of a finished Sloane, that’s just ****ed.

Name them ....don't generalise
I'm just messing with you.

You've always been one who's unafraid to have a strong opinion.

It makes for good reading.

You can't have strong opinions without expecting SOME to not come off ...

That being said, your Windsor opinion won't be far off. He only needs one team to be excited and reach for him, and he could go anywhere from 7 onwards. Not many mids in the draft probably means someone goes early.

Interesting comments by Ogilvie.
Definitely sounds like a trade up is on the cards. I'm a bit concerned that we might need a future pick to strengthen the trade hand. Are we really going to trade 14, 20 and a future pick? Seems a lot.

Sounds like the plan is two picks if we can make the trade on the night. If not we will use the 3 picks as is. Interesting that he mentions that we can't trade back in to take a 4th pick, even if we wanted to, because of list restrictions.

I suspect he thinks the Sloane extension was as dumb as the rest of us.
He also said it's likely that they only do two selections, so I didn't see in him any particular interest in wanting to do four. He just said it wasn't going to happen.

Wonder if Goad at 14 is a chance, if Green goes to the Swans and we think North wants him

Not a lot of things that would shock me come draft night, tbh

Connor O’Sullivan
James Leake
Darcy Wilson
Koltyn Tholstrup ?
Caleb Windsor
Taylor Goad
Harry Demattia ?

Charlie Edwards
Arie shoenmaker

Why do you keep mentioning Sloane?

We could have easily moved Sholl to the rookie list. We moved two players last year.

There was a million things they could have done. But they didn't, because all they wanted was three selections.

Haggis mentioned that it was likely we could only take TWO picks. Why would he say that, if he is clamouring for a fourth pick?

All he said was that it wouldn't happen - and if he wanted it to, it could have.

Hmm. That would give us 9 and 10, plus a later pick.
Don't mind it actually. As long as we are convinced there are two elite talents at 9 and 10. The later pick gives Ogilvie a chance to be creative. Will Goad slide that far? Another tall? Moir? McAuillife?
Or a Haggis special...

If we get a pick back like 35, it might be worth it.
Can't imagine Goad going that low. If things worked out like that, and it was one of those players, I think we'd take McAuliffe (which is also where my preference would lie).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back