2023 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unfortunately "family-orientated" players are becoming far too common. It is a real threat to the draft if lets say West Coast do finish last and they can't pick up the player who is clearly the best in the draft.
In the position they're in, the opportunity to trade #1 for 2, perhaps 3 first round picks would be very tempting anyway. Especially as there is some quality WA talent at the top-end of the draft. It then becomes a matter of who can stump up the draft picks. GWS the obvious candidate, but then it's them looking at "family-orientated" instead...

In the position they're in, the opportunity to trade #1 for 2, perhaps 3 first round picks would be very tempting anyway. Especially as there is some quality WA talent at the top-end of the draft. It then becomes a matter of who can stump up the draft picks. GWS the obvious candidate, but then it's them looking at "family-orientated" instead...

There is not a big history of trading pick 1. I think if West Coast finished last they would likely want to take the best player in the draft, but they would be forced to trade because it is stupid to use pick 1 on the second best player in the draft, or the third best player in the draft if the second best player is also "family-orientated".

It basically forces West Coast into a trade they may not necessarily have wanted to make.

There is not a big history of trading pick 1. I think if West Coast finished last they would likely want to take the best player in the draft, but they would be forced to trade because it is stupid to use pick 1 on the second best player in the draft, or the third best player in the draft if the second best player is also "family-orientated".

It basically forces West Coast into a trade they may not necessarily have wanted to make.
Reckon if GWS offered them their 1st round pick, Richmond's 1st round pick, and another later 1st round pick (yet to be secured), then WCE would jump at it. Would give them the opportunity to pick up say, Curtin, Edwards and Tholstrup.

And we only have to look back at last year - GWS trading up to get Cadman.

Would you have taken Daicos or Ashcroft at 1?

A slightly different situation. F/S isn't super common, especially ones that go that high. Having two in one year is rare.

The problem is that I think last draft there were around 4 players in the top 10 who had expressed a desire to stay in Victoria, so much so West Coast did trade down to avoid them. It makes it really hard if 40% of the best young players in the country are basically telling you they will leave your club at the first available opportunity.

Reckon if GWS offered them their 1st round pick, Richmond's 1st round pick, and another later 1st round pick (yet to be secured), then WCE would jump at it. Would give them the opportunity to pick up say, Curtin, Edwards and Tholstrup.

And we only have to look back at last year - GWS trading up to get Cadman.

They did, but Cadman was not really rated as the best player in the draft was he?

A slightly different situation. F/S isn't super common, especially ones that go that high. Having two in one year is rare.

The problem is that I think last draft there were around 4 players in the top 10 who had expressed a desire to stay in Victoria, so much so West Coast did trade down to avoid them. It makes it really hard if 40% of the best young players in the country are basically telling you they will leave your club at the first available opportunity.
Sorry, I was editing to to highlight the ‘different situation’ part and somehow managed to delete my post.

JHF just done this to a Victorian club didn’t he?
I think a club will back themselves in to retain talent and if they are scared of not retaining they are poorly run and need things to change anyway.

Sorry, I was editing to to highlight the ‘different situation’ part and somehow managed to delete my post.

JHF just done this to a Victorian club didn’t he?
I think a club will back themselves in to retain talent and if they are scared of not retaining they are poorly run and need things to change anyway.

Except it doesn't really work like that. North could have been the best run club in the country and JHF would still likely have requested a trade home almost immediately.

It is a problem that is getting worse and worse every draft.

I really do think that instead of draft picks a draft points system would be best, where teams get a certain amount of points based on where they finish on the ladder, points are traded from team to team for players and then for the draft an auction system is in place where teams nominate how many points they are willing to spend plus the player they want and if they are willing to spend the most of the 18 clubs they get the player.

This system would solve so many issues, or fix them as it would mean if West Coast finished last they would not be in a situation where they have pick 1 and the best player in the country doesn't want to go to them. West Coast could save points and target WA players who may be a bit lower down on the draft order.

We know exactly what "family-orientated" is code for.

"Family orientated, Country boy"

Geelong Cats 2025 trade period

Rubbing Hands GIF by Giphy QA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to start telling all the top-end WA talent that they're 'family-oriented' and unsure how they feel about moving east :rolleyes:

I'd still pick him anyway, if we finish last. Back ourselves in to keep him, as Judd's the only big name Vic we've ever had return home, or trade him for a ransom after the first couple of years.

Win/win.

Time to start telling all the top-end WA talent that they're 'family-oriented' and unsure how they feel about moving east :rolleyes:

I'd still pick him anyway, if we finish last. Back ourselves in to keep him, as Judd's the only big name Vic we've ever had return home, or trade him for a ransom after the first couple of years.

Win/win.
Don't think the Perth clubs have trouble with go home issues. Seems like the lifestyle there is great.

Win/win.

Problem is that it is harder for WA players to pull off as only 2 of 18 clubs can draft them from their home state, so they don't really bother with the "family orientated" bullshit. Victorian players know though it will work as they have a 10 in 18 shot of being drafted in their home state, so it isn't too hard to engineer a situation where non-Victorian clubs are scared to draft you.

Won them a flag though
You'd take that if you're the Eagles.
The issue I see coming is that the Eagles don't have a Kerr, Cousins and Fletcher on their list either. Ginbey and Hewett may be it.

Won them a flag maybe, but when they drafted him I bet they were hoping he would be in Blue and Yellow a lot longer than he was. When you draft a player you don't draft them hoping they will play majority of their career at a different club.

Problem is that it is harder for WA players to pull off as only 2 of 18 clubs can draft them from their home state, so they don't really bother with the "family orientated" bullshit. Victorian players know though it will work as they have a 10 in 18 shot of being drafted in their home state, so it isn't too hard to engineer a situation where non-Victorian clubs are scared to draft you.
Depends where the clubs are on the ladder for WA players.

Honestly, with how badly the draft is compromised, clubs should just go back to primarily recruiting from zones/academies, where they select maybe 2-3 picks and then the remainder go into an open draft.

Not much point in having a 'draft' these days, when clubs with the Northern academies get free access to top-tier talent, plus clubs like Western Bulldogs somehow getting access to JUH, Nobody bidding on Daicos, etc, that 'right' should be extended to all clubs.

Honestly, with how badly the draft is compromised, clubs should just go back to primarily recruiting from zones/academies, where they select maybe 2-3 picks and then the remainder go into an open draft.

Not much point in having a 'draft' these days, when clubs with the Northern academies get free access to top-tier talent, plus clubs like Western Bulldogs somehow getting access to JUH, Nobody bidding on Daicos, etc, that 'right' should be extended to all clubs.

The Northern clubs as you put it don't get huge access to talent. Sure Sydney got Campbell back in 2020, but we didn't have any academy picks in the draft in 2021 or 2022 and the only academy kids we have going into the 2023 draft are likely to be 3rd rounders. It isn't enough to sustain a team in anyway shape or form.

Pretty much screws three of the four northern clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back