Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

exactly, like I said to get ahead would be to pick up 2 good players with the pick we have this year, not give up next year's f1
What is the downside to picking a player this year v next year? We would know exactly who we get this year if we do a live trade.

What is the downside to picking a player this year v next year? We would know exactly who we get this year if we do a live trade.
certainty on who you're selecting and 1 earlier year of development.......against potentially a higher draft pick the following year

I'd trade into the current year if you were certain and valued the talent.....i.e. What we did on Weddle

exactly, like I said to get ahead would be to pick up 2 good players with the pick we have this year, not give up next year's f1
Let's agree to disagree on this. The Club is keen on a couple of players outside the Big 6 and if we can trade a f1 to get who we want then we certainly will.

is this an attempt to bluff Eagles at trading pick 1 for 4? in case they were hoping he'd slide down further and they could get him at a later live trade
I'd be very disappointed in the club if that was the main motivator to fly a hopeful kid out across the country.

If we wanted to bluff more effectively without wasting a draftee's time then we could release a pre-draft interview with Mark McKenzie that just so happens to have our draft rankings with Curtin #2 to Reid #1 on a whiteboard barely visible in the background. Post it to social media for 20 minutes before removing once we know enough people have spotted it.

Let's agree to disagree on this. The Club is keen on a couple of players outside the Big 6 and if we can trade a f1 to get who we want then we certainly will.
This is no brainer i don't know why ppl feel high levels of anxiety with this decision

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cats out of the bag.

That is a strategic leak from the Club, 100%. What it means can be interpreted in many ways - are we open to trading back if Curtin is avail at 6, or is it to twist the Eagles arm on Pick 1, or are we signalling that we open to better offers than the Cats pick 8 for our F1?

Clearly the Club still wants to do a deal for Pick 1, and that beyond anything else, is exciting.

I asked my source involved with the club point blank whether we would be taking Curtin or Watson and his only response was “we’re still pushing hard to trade for pick 1”
Umm no. We've told Eagles we're still available to talk and they have our offer but atm our focus is in getting a later pick. We've talked to COS today and in the next few days we'll be talking to guys like Caddy, Wilson & Leake.

is this an attempt to bluff Eagles at trading pick 1 for 4? in case they were hoping he'd slide down further and they could get him at a later live trade
That sounds like Shinbeggar tactics - witness Clarko's trip west a few weeks ago. I doubt we'd do that.

Sounds like we're very serious about Curtin and O'Sullivan. I reckon it would be great if we get both plus McCabe as it expands our options in our back 50 considerably, also providing the flexibility of trying Curtin in midfield.

I'd be very disappointed in the club if that was the main motivator to fly a hopeful kid out across the country.

If we wanted to bluff more effectively without wasting a draftee's time then we could release a pre-draft interview with Mark McKenzie that just so happens to have our draft rankings with Curtin #2 to Reid #1 on a whiteboard barely visible in the background. Post it to social media for 20 minutes before removing once we know enough people have spotted it.
We are Hawthorn...we don't do that.

Umm no. We've told Eagles we're still available to talk and they have our offer but atm our focus is in getting a later pick. We've talked to COS today and in the next few days we'll be talking to guys like Caddy, Wilson & Leake.
If it falls that way, Curtin, Caddy, McCabe and Dear would be a lovely haul.

Would love us to end up with Wilson somehow.

Would also love us to try and trade with Geelong if somehow Curtin is still on the board at that pick!

I for one would be pissed it we drafted Curtin, O’Sullivan and McCabe we don’t need 3 key defenders in the one draft.
Maybe we're going to flip the narrative if that happens and go against drafting forwards and make them play back. We're now going for defenders and turn them into forwards.

J/K

That sounds like Shinbeggar tactics - witness Clarko's trip west a few weeks ago. I doubt we'd do that.

Sounds like we're very serious about Curtin and O'Sullivan. I reckon it would be great if we get both plus McCabe as it expands our options in our back 50 considerably, also providing the flexibility of trying Curtin in midfield.
And we don't have to throw ridiculous offers to the Ratagaleau's and Ben McKay's of the world

No disrespect, he’s pretty involved with the board rather than recruitment so he could well be wrong. But those are the exact words

Back