List Mgmt. 2023 Draft/Trade/FA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Still clearly replying while blocked too, has there ever been a dumber bloke in bigfooty history? I'm not sure 😂

Inevitable ignored content bubble to appear right here

⬇️⬇️

I like JT and I'm sure it's a directive from the coach, but the must be a competitor stuff is getting tiresome

Typical Melbourne nonsense. Competitors over quality disposal. And we wonder why our connection sucks year after year.
Yep, agree with you mate.

There looked to be enough tape to show him as being a good competitor, seems strange that we would judge 18 year old kids on how they can articulate competitiveness vs. actions?

I like hearing your thoughts on the draft videos A11 and this surprises me a bit.

I watch them and think that he’s very neat and a good decision maker.

Maybe not a piercing long kick but with intercept defenders these days you’re better off having a half forward who can dink it into the forward 50 accurately - which is what I see in his vids.

I have no concerns with Tholstrups kicking from what I’ve seen.

Agree with you as well, but time will tell how long it takes him to make good decisions at AFL level.

Doesn't look to be a great touch kick, but definitely neat at short range - and some explosiveness longer range.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Who is Melbourne's list manager? Has to be biggest stuff up I've seen since 2021.

Next year you'll have

Schache
Billings
Hunter
Brown
Tomlinson

all outside the best 22 and all past their best football, yes 3 for experienced backup is fine not 6. Add melkshalm at 32 and smith 28 also not in your best 22.

wheres the improvement come to drive you up? Van rooyan yep has star potential as does petty, but where else? Why not bring in hungry 22 year olds to push up. I like fullerton as he'll allow Max to rest, so no perth games or brisbane games I'd say to Max, so you get 2 more years out of him

I would have traded the hyphen and Salem for young talent, as it feels like Melbourne are the golden state of the afl getting old, I know a bit rich from a cats supporter, but you need to cash in whilst you still have 4 players in the top 10 best in the league

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Who is Melbourne's list manager? Has to be biggest stuff up I've seen since 2021.

Next year you'll have

Schache
Billings
Hunter
Brown
Tomlinson

all outside the best 22 and all past their best football, yes 3 for experienced backup is fine not 6. Add melkshalm at 32 and smith 28 also not in your best 22.

wheres the improvement come to drive you up? Van rooyan yep has star potential as does petty, but where else? Why not bring in hungry 22 year olds to push up. I like fullerton as he'll allow Max to rest, so no perth games or brisbane games I'd say to Max, so you get 2 more years out of him

I would have traded the hyphen and Salem for young talent, as it feels like Melbourne are the golden state of the afl getting old, I know a bit rich from a cats supporter, but you need to cash in whilst you still have 4 players in the top 10 best in the league
This is a bit of a strange post ngl

Hunter was best 22 last year. Hores 27 and could easily play plenty of footy next year. We lost Hibberd so hores probably first in if we have an injury in defence.
Tomlinson plays quite a bit of footy for us and has every year.

So your issue is brown and schache. Well we hate him em too but brown was signed 4 years ago and it's his last year. Same with McDonald. Schache is just a depth guy for ruck/forward.

Where would we get these hungry 22 year olds with pick 6 and 11 or whatever we ended up having? That's all we had at the draft table in the end.

Lord Nev

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2023
AFL Club
Melbourne

Next year you'll have

Schache
Billings
Hunter
Brown
Tomlinson

Outside of Tomlinson whom we picked up years ago when desperate, none of those players cost anything that would have guaranteed us a much better player. Having mature depth is a crucial component to getting through a season and also providing leadership to young players, Melbourne of all clubs have learned that the hard way over the years.

The obsession with "best 22" is generally a bit silly. No team plays the same 22 (23) players every week for an entire season, and there's 44+ on the list, and last I checked no team has 22 top 10 draft picks as depth.

Not sure how familiar you are with Melbourne's list, but there's a group of solid youngsters including JVR and Petty who you've mentioned, along with McVee, Rivers, Pickett, Bowey, Chandler and Sparrow, with Windsor and Tholstrup added in the last draft as high picks - all 23 or under.

Suggesting the trading ANB shows you don't know a lot about the Dees. Is firmly in the leadership group, and while not considered a gun player, is a crucial on field presence for a team identity that wants to mirror his playing style.

Trading Salem would have been a classic 'sell low' move, so a bit strange you suggest that in a post being critical of the list manager. Plus, with fans hoping for moves like Rivers into the midfield and Bowey forward, a fit and in form Salem would help facilitate that.

Finally, I don't understand your logic of trading peak age players for draftees because we're in the window? Dees go into 2024 with the 3rd oldest and most experienced list, guess who has the 2nd oldest after finishing 12th last year and clearly needing to refresh their list?

PS - last years premiers have the oldest list...

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oleg Markov and Billy Frampton would’ve been outside Collingwood’s best 22. Imagine how many more flags Collingwood would’ve won if they’d delisted them and pushed hard for hungry 22 year olds.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Schache, Brown, McDonald and Melksham will all be off the list end of this year anyway, some of the others in that list may join them.

The Schache one is the only one where I’m really not sure what we were thinking. I assumed once he signed on for 2024 with us it meant we’d pay Brown out, but not to be.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Schache, Brown, McDonald and Melksham will all be off the list end of this year anyway, some of the others in that list may join them.

The Schache one is the only one where I’m really not sure what we were thinking. I assumed once he signed on for 2024 with us it meant we’d pay Brown out, but not to be.
He’s purely ruck/forward cover imv. He’s s**t but my guess is that the powers that be feel he’s a surer bet than late pick KPP magic beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back