Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

If Carlton selected Collard, wouldn`t that put an end to the career of either Motlop or Durdin or maybe even both, as Collard plays in their position and I could not imagine the three of them running around in our forward line together. Just wondering what you think Forty3:

Use surplus as trade currency. Keep the best trade the other. But doubt a first year player displaces a 3/4 year player.

He'll be an 18yo 2nd round draftee. No guarantee to play seniors next year let alone put an end to careers.
Why would Austin be reaching for him if he considered that we have that small goalkicker spot covered then......he must feel that we are still lacking something in that area, or it is a wasted pick!!! Moir is the type of forward that has a point of difference about him as he is about 188cm and has a big leap, with perhaps only Martin being a bit similar with his overhead marking. The majority getting taken are 18 year olds by the way and most are expected to play next year, and the pick we are talking about is in the first round not the second.......mainly wondering why we need three small forwards that`s all.........:think:

Kudos to Sheephead who I think was the first person to put Cooper Simpson on the map about 5-6 weeks ago. Nobody bit. I only spotted him in the draft write-ups a couple of weeks later and dropped the name....still no interest. Seems he's finally getting some recognition here, however still not much media coverage. Gives me hope thay he could be one of those Austin is confident we'd be able to get even if we moved back a few spots.

Perfect fit for our midfield in the coming years. Could easily play early, but could also develop in the 2s for a little bit.

I reckon the reported interest in Moir and Collard could be 50% genuine but also 50% ploy to try and get another team to reach.

One safe pick in Simpson, and then one risk/reward pick or slider. We've seen what happens when you burn a draft or two - leaves a big hole in your age profile and then you end up committing more resources down the line to plug gaps.

Duffy and Monahan are low cost, low percentage, high potential types. Eli Hollands could be great or absolutely nothing. Fantasia could be a key piece over the next few years or a rehab fixture. Taking two "risky" draftees seems too much a gamble when you put it alongside that list.

Need at least one bankable recruit who you can almost lock in for 150+ games (injury gods willing). Simpson looks the man in my view.

I know that most won't agree with me, but for the record I think George Stevens is easily the best player available at our selections.

People focus way too much on what people can't do, and not on what they can do. If what they can do is perfect for their role then there's no issue. If George gets picked up by the right club he'll play plenty of AFL footy next year.
By his own admission today on SEN an inside clearance mid. I think we need outside run more.

Why would Austin be reaching for him if he considered that we have that small goalkicker spot covered then......he must feel that we are still lacking something in that area, or it is a wasted pick!!! Moir is the type of forward that has a point of difference about him as he is about 188cm and has a big leap, with perhaps only Martin being a bit similar with his overhead marking. The majority getting taken are 18 year olds by the way and most are expected to play next year, and the pick we are talking about is in the first round not the second.......mainly wondering why we need three small forwards that`s all.........:think:
I'd just say there's a difference between bringing someone in to add to our mix with a view to them potentially developing into a key player...versus a kid coming in and putting the incumbents straight out of business.

mainly wondering why we need three small forwards that`s all
Two in the team and one in reserve for a start

Does anyone know anything about this kid?

View attachment 1853611

I've heard of him but don't know anything about him.
182cm 70kg hbf

images (1).jpeg

From June...

NORTHERN KNIGHTS

#9 Aleksandr D’Arro

Though he started out on the wing, D’Arro was quickly shifted back to defence where he arguably looked most comfortable. The top-ager is accustomed to putting up strong numbers but made them count on Saturday, winning more in contests before providing his usual rebound. D’Arro ended up with a team-high 28 disposals and seven marks in one of his best and most gutsy games to date.

Kudos to Sheephead who I think was the first person to put Cooper Simpson on the map about 5-6 weeks ago. Nobody bit. I only spotted him in the draft write-ups a couple of weeks later and dropped the name....still no interest. Seems he's finally getting some recognition here, however still not much media coverage. Gives me hope thay he could be one of those Austin is confident we'd be able to get even if we moved back a few spots.
Simpson looks like the type of player that we hoped Dow and Philp would become, and we currently lack.....the burst player from stoppages who creates space.

If people want to go X-factor over depth - go Tew Jiath. Said to be more advanced than his Hawk brother at the same time, who had some of the best run and carry football in the league. His brother put on the Kg’s quickly and kept his line breaking speed. That’s X-factor. The other is Goad. Ruckman who runs like the old ruck-rover. Unbelievable numbers over 20m at the combine and is good around the ground. X-factor.

Perfect fit for our midfield in the coming years. Could easily play early, but could also develop in the 2s for a little bit.

I reckon the reported interest in Moir and Collard could be 50% genuine but also 50% ploy to try and get another team to reach.

One safe pick in Simpson, and then one risk/reward pick or slider. We've seen what happens when you burn a draft or two - leaves a big hole in your age profile and then you end up committing more resources down the line to plug gaps.

Duffy and Monahan are low cost, low percentage, high potential types. Eli Hollands could be great or absolutely nothing. Fantasia could be a key piece over the next few years or a rehab fixture. Taking two "risky" draftees seems too much a gamble when you put it alongside that list.

Need at least one bankable recruit who you can almost lock in for 150+ games (injury gods willing). Simpson looks the man in my view.
Thanks mate. Yes, I saw the lad play earlier this year. He’s a burst beast if that makes any sense. Can deliver the pill also and hits the scoreboard. I’d love this kid.

Im not on the Moir or Collard train, I think we covered that area with Hollands and Fantasy, who I really don’t rate. I think Collard has go-home written all over him, and I think Moir is soft as butter. I’d rather Sanchez, Gothard, Johnston or O’Leary before them if we are going Sml/Med Fwd.

My big concern though is, when Harry got injured late in the season - We struggled when going inside 50 for those games. Another big Fwd would be handy. Lemmey was a solid choice but is he coming on? Can he play ruck?

My two choices would be

Archer Reid
Cooper Simpson

By his own admission today on SEN an inside clearance mid. I think we need outside run more.
Do we? Last recruiting period we picked Acres, Binns and Ollie Hollands. This trade period we grabbed Elijah Hollands. Next draft we have the Campo twins coming in, both of which are outside runners.

We're at serious risk of an unbalanced list if we recruit another outside runner. A small forward would be good, but we need to start looking at our team post Cripps (especially now that Dow is gone) and that means inside mids. Tall defenders would also be a target.

I agree he's just an inside clearance mid. I don't think we need outside run as such. We just need midfield pace, wherever that may be. Stevens doesn't have that.

If Carlton selected Collard, wouldn`t that put an end to the career of either Motlop or Durdin or maybe even both, as Collard plays in their position and I could not imagine the three of them running around in our forward line together. Just wondering what you think Forty3:
If selecting Collard puts Motlop and Durdins careers in jeopardy should we really care?

Personally I think Collard is a far better prospect than either, although he has plenty of risk attached... But if Motlop and Durdin are going to be replaced by a fresh draftee then they probably need to be replaced anyway. Ideally theyd all get to a level where they are consistent performers but I have doubts on Motlops speed and Durdin struggles to find avenues to goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting takes. Speaking with a recruiter last week and comments seem to be it's very even around our current picks.

Names like Edwards, Lual, Moir, Collard all look very good at this stage. I'm a DiMattea & Jiath fan and hope they are available

I'm a Simpson fan too

All I know is we are really trying to get up the order and next years first is on the table.

Talk is that we could jump up on the night if a few selections fall our way

Austin really wants to get up the draft order
Who's he eyeing

If people want to go X-factor over depth - go Tew Jiath. Said to be more advanced than his Hawk brother at the same time, who had some of the best run and carry football in the league. His brother put on the Kg’s quickly and kept his line breaking speed. That’s X-factor. The other is Goad. Ruckman who runs like the old ruck-rover. Unbelievable numbers over 20m at the combine and is good around the ground. X-factor.

Thanks mate. Yes, I saw the lad play earlier this year. He’s a burst beast if that makes any sense. Can deliver the pill also and hits the scoreboard. I’d love this kid.

Im not on the Moir or Collard train, I think we covered that area with Hollands and Fantasy, who I really don’t rate. I think Collard has go-home written all over him, and I think Moir is soft as butter. I’d rather Sanchez, Gothard, Johnston or O’Leary before them if we are going Sml/Med Fwd.

My big concern though is, when Harry got injured late in the season - We struggled when going inside 50 for those games. Another big Fwd would be handy. Lemmey was a solid choice but is he coming on? Can he play ruck?

My two choices would be

Archer Reid
Cooper Simpson

Just watched some footage of Simpson for the first time. Burst speed out of stoppages, kicking penetration, hits the scoreboard. Exactly what we are missing in our midfield. His cons are composure and versatility. He doesn't need to play anywhere else but midfield with his pace being his point of difference so that's not an issue, and composure can come with experience.

His strengths are agility, character, clean hands, kicking penetration, scoreboard impact and speed. Reads like a dream.

Sign me up please.

Just watched some footage of Simpson for the first time. Burst speed out of stoppages, kicking penetration, hits the scoreboard. Exactly what we are missing in our midfield. His cons are composure and versatility. He doesn't need to play anywhere else but midfield with his pace being his point of difference so that's not an issue, and composure can come with experience.

His strengths are agility, character, clean hands, kicking penetration, scoreboard impact and speed. Reads like a dream.

Sign me up please.

Could even become a zac bailey type with his attributes. Looks a natural goal kicker despite playing midfield.

Haven't heard us linked to him at all though (not that it rules us out).

If selecting Collard puts Motlop and Durdins careers in jeopardy should we really care?

Personally I think Collard is a far better prospect than either, although he has plenty of risk attached... But if Motlop and Durdin are going to be replaced by a fresh draftee then they probably need to be replaced anyway. Ideally theyd all get to a level where they are consistent performers but I have doubts on Motlops speed and Durdin struggles to find avenues to goal
I get your desire for shiny new (hyped) toys, but can you please lay off our kids. Just a reminder, we played in a prelim last season, we are not struggling minnows.

Durds has spent a significant part of the past two seasons injured, missing most of both pre seasons, and Motlop is a very talented kid. Both are likely long term best 22 players in slightly different roles. Durdin is pressure forward first, and gets to many contests he should not have to. I do not question his ability to hit the scoreboard when allowed to operate as a crumber. He has has little opportunity to play beside our dramatically upgraded wingers of last season. Better balance and two way running somewhat alleviates the need for our small forwards to work excessively deep in defence.

Motlop is a work in progress. A very talented and instinctive player who is still wet behind the ears. He has the instincts of his family relations before him, in that his first thought is to attack. He is in need of regular reminding of his defensive responsibilities, but I believe we can look forward to continuing improvement in 2024. With Fantasia setting a new bar, should he remain fit, more pressure will be present to earn his spot.

Owies and Fogarty have set the bar for work rate and defensive application and will ensure the youngsters earn their stripes. Clearly we have sent the message that we are seeking an upgrade in that area though.

Collard remains potential. Dominance at a very low level is no guarantee of success at the highest level. Should our recruiters decide to opt for him after due diligence, he will have my full support. His lack of impact at his state level appearance is a red flag for me as are reports of questions of his ability or inclination to move interstate. I am in need of convincing, but I do view from afar.

If it is Collard V Moir on face value, I back Moir on exposed form.

On the players you mentioned

I've read enough for the week, and here are my selections (until next week) - in the listed order

Pick #22
Dream (unlikely available):
  • Tholstrup - Think he has limited upside, a poor man's Rayner with no leap
  • Collard - Yes, but still concerned as to whether he can buy into the rigors of an AFL program, especially away from home. Very introverted
  • CEwards - Sign me up now, perfect type for our list

Should be available:
  • ARoberts - Not sold, reaches way too often for the ball rather than body lining it
  • Zakostelsky - Ticks a needs box as list balance, can be used forward
  • DeMattia - No thanks, don't like his use by foot
  • Sanchez - Reasonable selection, but too early

Pick #28
Dream - any of the above

Should be available:
  • Simpson - Not enough love for this kid, will play a lot of footy and have great impact
  • Hastie - Solid
  • Moir - Could be anything, absolute freak
  • Lual - Love his dash, needs to work on his decision making by foot
  • Schoenmaker - As a defender, no interest, as a tall wingman, a consideration

That's plenty to be happy with :D

Do we? Last recruiting period we picked Acres, Binns and Ollie Hollands. This trade period we grabbed Elijah Hollands. Next draft we have the Campo twins coming in, both of which are outside runners.

We're at serious risk of an unbalanced list if we recruit another outside runner. A small forward would be good, but we need to start looking at our team post Cripps (especially now that Dow is gone) and that means inside mids. Tall defenders would also be a target.
My main preference is a tall KP Defender to help out Weiters but we need footskills through the midfield.
Lets hope the Hollands brothers next year and Campo brothers in a couple of years can make an immediate impact.

I think adding an inside mid is reasonable, but doesn't need to be a Cripps type

I like Stevens, strangely he reminds me of a midfield version of Tom Hawkins, smart body use, and uses the ball to a teammates advantage

Another that could be available is McAuliffe, reminds me of Viney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back