List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod notice after Mr Bob did a lot of annoying work in moving days of posts out of here. As we are heading into offseason, this thread is for 2023 list management only. Getting upset on previous trades can be taken to the vent thread. Lets keep this thread on track in the part of the year it's actually relevant

Last edited:
I’ve always thought Treacy, Jackson, Amiss is a dynamic capable trio of talls, with different strengths and weaknesses. They are just very young and need development. Amiss has craft and skill but no body. Jackson has the athleticism but is more of a crumber than a high marking tall, he is truly unique and a point of difference. Treacy has reasonable strength but is developing the endurance and craft. At the moment he’s struggling with the athleticism of of a 2nd or 3rd tall who are standing off him, spoiling and running rebound against us. It’ll hit a point soon where the 3rd tall can’t go with him physically and will transform our forward line. Unfortunately we won’t truly be in the race for a flag until these players mature.

I’m not convinced Sturt makes it, but if his running volume can improve he could probably make it as a 4th tall.

The smalls are OK without being game breakers; Freddy, Switta, Schultz.

The forward line is not that dire.

Similarly the midfield; Brayshaw, Serong, Brodie, Johnson, Erasmus will get there in time. Again very very young. No wingers but hopefully they can just appear on the list. Danyle Pearce style is probably sufficient.

The back line is a worry for me. Ryan and Young aren’t great shutting down players on the lead, both amazing intercept markers but I don’t know if you can have both.

Hopefully the outlier isn’t 2022, Pearce and Cox have regressed to 2021 form. We desperately need them to recapture that form, because there isn’t much underneath. Davies appears several years away from impacting. He also has the classic docker calamity moments watching him in the WAFL. It’s like we train it.

Walker had that final, aside from that match looks promising.

Clark is a gun, Chapman is made of tissue paper, but also a gun.

I’d look at trading Ryan for draft capital. I don’t understand our list management.

Last edited:

I hope we don't but we gotta somehow get some top end forward talent and quick. If somehow Naughton wanted to come home Id love to see how we could get it done without giving up someone like Darcy :/
Best way is to draft a forward, takes longer but with freo trading history they need to back in their own

I hope we don't but we gotta somehow get some top end forward talent and quick. If somehow Naughton wanted to come home Id love to see how we could get it done without giving up someone like Darcy :/
Trading for players is the issue. We have failed miserably in past 7 years. We set our a long term to rebuild in 2016 but then go and constantly trade in Key forwards for round 1 picks.

Most teams draft there way to success.

We were 1 maybe 2 nailed drafts away.

Instead we have probably pushed everything back 2 years again.

Sharp will be more then handy if given a go. look at will brodie. Sharp isn't playing AFL because he wants out
Lol, Sharp is playing for Gold Coast in the VFL because he is mediocre and not good enough for the AFL. Do you think Dew would cut his nose off despite his face if Sharp were bona fide first 22 when Dew is coaching for his future?

Lol, Sharp is playing for Gold Coast in the VFL because he is mediocre and not good enough for the AFL. Do you think Dew would cut his nose off despite his face if Sharp were bona fide first 22 when Dew is coaching for his future?
Considering we are talking about playing a guy who still needs to gain experience and won't just walk in and be elite it makes sense to leave that development to someone else if you won't get the benefit of it next season.

He just brought a house in perth, he will stay
Elmo Hello GIF by Sesame Street
Lachie Neil says Hi
The simple way of building a list -

Year 1. Draft key Forwards FIRST (they take longer to develop, think buddy roughhead)
Year 2. Draft the freaks, rankine rozee types
Year 3 load up the midfield.

Recipe done
Way not to Build a list
1. Give Melbourne your first round pick
2. Give Melbourne your First with a second for good measure.
Recipe for disaster.

Lachie Neil says Hi

Way not to Build a list
1. Give Melbourne your first round pick
2. Give Melbourne your First with a second for good measure.
Recipe for disaster.
Jackson will be fine. also need to remember they'll have Logue pick. he could have walked to north for nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m bemused how we apparently didn’t have enough money to pay Logue and Acres enough to keep them despite shedding Lobb and Tucker and drafting a heap more first year players.
We had enough to offer Logue $500k x 4 years but it was too late by then. Having the money wasn’t the issue, we lowballed them to try and Get Angus B as free agent. By the time that fell through North had offered Logue a grandfather deal, Acres is just bewildering, as others have said there must have been something off field that rubbed players/staff the wrong way.

Id love to know just how much cap space we actually have. We had enough to offer Logue the 500k and also go after Angus. Sounds to me like we have a heap

I’m bemused how we apparently didn’t have enough money to pay Logue and Acres enough to keep them despite shedding Lobb and Tucker and drafting a heap more first year players.
The way I read it, they could pay Acres, just arrogantly thought they could easily replace a good role player with Hughes.

While having Logue would be nice, I don’t think you can justify even 400k for someone that’s borderline best 22 like he was at the start of last season and we certainly couldn’t go close to matching what North offered. The Acres one is the biggest *-up IMO. I don’t think they did much wrong with the other 4 that left

I don’t think it’s a matter of having space this year, it’s a matter of list management strategy and how to keep together the core of the list they like. Just think when losing the other players they should have realised Acres needed to be kept. Someone needs a kick in the arse for thinking Hughes was anything for a bottom 10 depth player, particularly on the wing

Hindsight is always great.

Acres for what it would have cost is a bad loss.

We’re still very young.

If anything we overachieved last year (that said I genuinely believed we were capable to challenge for a flag)

This year we’ve clearly underachieved.

I watched some of his work yesterday and wondered whether he could crash and bash in the midfield….he was actually quite clean and surprised me with his mobility. God knows we need a big body in there
Best ideas I've heard this year.
Can we offer you a job as midfield coach 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back