MRP / Trib. 2024 MRP Lotto thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

I am glad he isn’t suspended. I am desperately sorry for Brayshaw but found the focus on his history a bit unfair - it’s not relevant to the case.

I also expect some rule tightening so jumping like this - as for bumps and tackles - will become something where players will be held liable for the consequences if the execution results in head high contact, no matter whether it was intended or not.
in my ideal setting intent should never, ever, ever matter. it is impossible to know what someone intends. judge the action alone. bump a guy and hit their head? that sucks, learn to bump better, sit out. cut out all this "football act", carelless, blah blah bullshit.

you jumped to smother, missed the smother by miles, collected him in the head, sit out.

Not surprised. Sorta happy for him to get off but I'd expect a rule change on what a player leaving the ground to smother is liable for.
Initially I thought what else could he do but seeing it more I do think he should've kept his arms outstretched to cushion the impact, but it's very easy to say when it's a split second decision and you're in the air. Be interesting to see if the AFL appeals it.

in my ideal setting intent should never, ever, ever matter. it is impossible to know what someone intends. judge the action alone. bump a guy and hit their head? that sucks, learn to bump better, sit out. cut out all this "football act", carelless, blah blah bullshit.

you jumped to smother, missed the smother by miles, collected him in the head, sit out.
Presume that means you're fine with such outcomes as JZ getting four for that hit on Joseph and Logue copping a week this year then

He made contact with the ball, so not “miles”.

So like the change to OOB - you‘d need to show sufficient intent not to hit someone in the head.

He made contact with the ball, so not “miles”.

So like the change to OOB - you‘d need to show sufficient intent not to hit someone in the head.
yea it was clearly a very effective smother

not show sufficient intent not to, not take intent into it at all. it is not truly possible to measure intent, it can only be guessed at, and is currently a massive factor in length of suspension or suspension at all. it can only result in the continuously inconsistent results we've seen forever and a day.

lol yea that's definitely what i mean...
It's exactly what you're indicating with your above comment. Joseph ends up motionless after copping a hit to the head. If intent doesn't matter, then it's insignificant that Ziebell was going for the ball. He needs to be rubbed out.

Logue hits Day in the head. If the league at that time is cracking down on head hits, he needs to be punished. Who cares if he was bracing. Who cares if Day's stupid enough to leave himself unprotected. He needs to be rubbed out.

If these aren't your opinions then I struggle to see how you think intent doesn't matter

It's exactly what you're indicating with your above comment. Joseph ends up motionless after copping a hit to the head. If intent doesn't matter, then it's insignificant that Ziebell was going for the ball. He needs to be rubbed out.

Logue hits Day in the head. If the league at that time is cracking down on head hits, he needs to be punished. Who cares if he was bracing. Who cares if Day's stupid enough to leave himself unprotected. He needs to be rubbed out.

If these aren't your opinions then I struggle to see how you think intent doesn't matter
it needs more changing than JUST intent, but since you're struggling with it i'll just leave it at that.

it needs more changing than JUST intent, but since you're struggling with it i'll just leave it at that.
Huge contradiction there mate. I've not assumed anything, I'm just using what you've said in real life scenarios. Either way, a footy world where intent isn't taken into account at all would be a dark ****ing place

100% agree. Even in a ruck or marking contest. If you collect a bloke in the head, you should be rubbed out. AFL missed the chance to set a clear standard tonight. They’ll lose kids to other sports because they refuse to move with the times and protect player welfare first.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except he actually got a hand to the ball so he didn’t miss by miles.

If turning into a guy shoulder first isn't engaging in the act of bumping then I have no *en idea and will pack it up. I see this as no different to a soccer player going in "to win the ball" and getting there late and just taking the bloke out. It can be a footy act and completely out of control and endangering and that's what it was. He had to go. If *en Logue gets a week for actually protecting himself then that's at least two.
I understand the commitment of people to the tradition of the 'footy act', but I think this case points towards a change of rule.

If the player making contact (in this case Maynard) has time to protect himself by dipping a shoulder, and the player making the play with the ball does not (in this case Brayshaw), then the 'contacting' player has failed his duty of care.

To me, the whole thing has a Brendan Krummel vibe - the game simply will not legally survive the consequences of these incidents.

100% agree. Even in a ruck or marking contest. If you collect a bloke in the head, you should be rubbed out. AFL missed the chance to set a clear standard tonight. They’ll lose kids to other sports because they refuse to move with the times and protect player welfare first.
I agree to. You catch a player in the head and knock them out - have a few weeks off. What’s the big deal? People going on with all this fabric of the game shit, like it’s this huge tragedy a player has to sit out a few weeks cause they’re clumsy, stupid, sniping, whatever.

I agree to. You catch a player in the head and knock them out - have a few weeks off. What’s the big deal? People going on with all this fabric of the game s**t, like it’s this huge tragedy a player has to sit out a few weeks cause they’re clumsy, stupid, sniping, whatever.
What about those ones where two players are going for the ball and collide?

Completely disagree. His left hand actually went out to cushion the blow, plus Brayshaw moves to his right after he kicks, while Maynard is in the air. There was no deliberate attempt to drop his shoulder into his head. Just my opinion!
My immediate response on seeing it live on tv was a bit like "LOL Well he sure made the most of that."

I dunno how different it would have been if he hadn't dropped his shoulder tho. I think there are alot of soft suspensions these days so I'd prefer the Tribunal were 100% sure he intended to nail Brayshaw with his shoulder before suspending him. But at the same time i'm pretty sure he took the opportunity to drill an opponent. Its finals after all.

My immediate response on seeing it live on tv was a bit like "LOL Well he sure made the most of that."

I dunno how different it would have been if he hadn't dropped his shoulder tho. I think there are alot of soft suspensions these days so I'd prefer the Tribunal were 100% sure he intended to nail Brayshaw with his shoulder before suspending him. But at the same time i'm pretty sure he took the opportunity to drill an opponent. Its finals after all.
But they’re mates, it’s just unlikely. Everyone makes the assumptions that if he chose a different option the outcome would have different. Brayshaw has a history of concussions, if Maynard’s palm or forearm had of connect cause he was trying to soften the blow, there’s every chance he still would have been concussed. Simple fact is, if Brayshaw had held the line he was running on he would have been fine. But he moved to the right and helped to cause the impact.
Play on.

MRP / Trib. 2024 MRP Lotto thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back