Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sanders already lives in Melbourne
For now...When Tassie get a team in it might be a different issue...l think seeing as we have shown so much interest in him since he was younger , if we pick him, l hope that he realises that and stays..

The AFL has to sort out the mess that is draft picks from the four Northern Academies. It creates a huge imbalance and from my perspective the other 14 clubs may as well not bother with an academy. This year Gold Coast will end up with 3 first rounders (including what possibly is the #1 draft pick in an open draft) and will probably select a 4th academy player in the 2nd round. Next year reportedly another two possible first rounders for the Suns. Perhaps the Northern academies need to be restricted to only being able to match on one first rounder and preferably without a discount (why the double advantage?). Another option is to provide the bottom 4-6 clubs with the opportunity to match a first round bid on one of their academy players. That at least would address the equalisation issue and still incentivise clubs to invest in an academy. I understand that the Suns and Giants need to have an equalisation measure to compensate them for not having enough history to benefit from Father-Son selections, but that doesn't apply to the Swans and Lions.

The AFL has to sort out the mess that is draft picks from the four Northern Academies. It creates a huge imbalance and from my perspective the other 14 clubs may as well not bother with an academy. This year Gold Coast will end up with 3 first rounders (including what possibly is the #1 draft pick in an open draft) and will probably select a 4th academy player in the 2nd round. Next year reportedly another two possible first rounders for the Suns. Perhaps the Northern academies need to be restricted to only being able to match on one first rounder and preferably without a discount (why the double advantage?). Another option is to provide the bottom 4-6 clubs with the opportunity to match a first round bid on one of their academy players. That at least would address the equalisation issue and still incentivise clubs to invest in an academy. I understand that the Suns and Giants need to have an equalisation measure to compensate them for not having enough history to benefit from Father-Son selections, but that doesn't apply to the Swans and Lions.
Can’t see anything changing until one of them can win a premiership

MCKERCHER has stated he loves the big city Melbourne lifestyle. If he lives up to the hype he'll be on $800k by the time Tassie comes in.
If we are in finals contention at that time I can't see him leaving to start from the bottom again.

SANDERS on the other hand has the overbearing dad who's already made a few suspect comments.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
Clearly you've never met Adam!

He's one of the most down to earth and respected footballers I've had the pleasure of knowing!

Quality person :thumbsu:

Clearly you've never met Adam!

He's one of the most down to earth and respected footballers I've had the pleasure of knowing!

Quality person :thumbsu:
For sure. As a player and coach, he’s probably done more for the sport than 99.9% of people who have ever laced up a footy boot. He isn’t just a random old man with a big mouth, he’s a legend of local footy in Tassie, so his opinion holds more weight than most.

The AFL; "Oh yes it does!"

What makes these situations more imbalanced is the farce that is the a points value index. The system needs to be adjusted to put more weighing on the higher picks as we see year after year those trading up paying excess points.

Here is a breakdowns of 'bonus' points GC have gained through trading back and bid discounts:
WB trade- 4, 46, 51, GC F3(≈42) for 10, 17, WB F1(≈10) (+796 points)
Melb trade- 11 for 14, 27, 35 (+1057)
Walters ≈2 bid - (+503)
Read ≈9 bid- (+294)
Rodgers ≈14 bid- (+232)

Total bonus points- +2882

GC recruiting managers sit back, wait for the best offer to come in and come away with 3 first rounders this year and another 3 next year

Last edited:
It’s clearly a tongue in cheek/ ridiculous hindsight kind of material given the talk about the Tasmanian team.

But if that did occur (again I can’t emphasise enough how outlandish and hypothetical it is, I’m not sure how much more clear I could make it) - but if the two wanted to move back - what kind of a trade capital does a newly introduced team have?

We’ve seen weird s**t happen before. Where a number one pick wants to go home after a year.
They'll be backed by the AFL's "it's a new team so here's a billion first rounders" policy. If they do want to go, i'd put money on getting over their worth to make it happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What changed your mind?
Looking at how he moves and how good he is by foot. I hate to say it, but he looks like JHF but hopefully he's a better human being. Duursma looks great but we have enough talent as a hybrid forward, but I think a midfield of TT, Sheez, LDU, Wardlaw, McKercher and Sanders with Powell and Phillips giving them a chop out. That will be the best rotating midfield for the next 10+ years. We have money, so I'm confident we will get a fantastic CHF and CHB we can nab within the next 3 years. Other holes like ruck, hbf, bp and fp we will fill this year and next with first round draft picks.

Pick 2 - Mckercher
Pick 3 - Duursma
Pick 15 - A.Reid
Pick 17 - Murphy
Pick 18 - Schoenmakers

Sure would provide us with some balance
I would only take 1 key defender, especially if we are moving comben back. I think there will be some real talent slide through to those picks, so picking need over best available will be tricky. Hard to see us pass on collard if available, for example. We also need general defenders too. I wouldn’t be surprised if we walk away with 1 tall only.

I would only take 1 key defender, especially if we are moving comben back. I think there will be some real talent slide through to those picks, so picking need over best available will be tricky. Hard to see us pass on collard if available, for example. We also need general defenders too. I wouldn’t be surprised if we walk away with 1 tall only.
I don’t really see Shoe as a key, more a general defender. The Chom stuff isn’t tangible enough to make decisions on anymore for mine - (1) Can he actually play effectively as a defender (2) Can his body stay right. No one here or at the club for that matter can answer either question definitively.

The late teen picks provide us with some wonderful options, I’m not overly phased on what we do, but with the heavy focus on here with list balance/keys, I’m just saying we have an opportunity to address it without doing anything unnatural with our two early picks.

Looking at how he moves and how good he is by foot. I hate to say it, but he looks like JHF but hopefully he's a better human being. Duursma looks great but we have enough talent as a hybrid forward, but I think a midfield of TT, Sheez, LDU, Wardlaw, McKercher and Sanders with Powell and Phillips giving them a chop out. That will be the best rotating midfield for the next 10+ years. We have money, so I'm confident we will get a fantastic CHF and CHB we can nab within the next 3 years. Other holes like ruck, hbf, bp and fp we will fill this year and next with first round draft picks.
I’m also confident of getting key position players the later part of the top ten to early teens, there’s always good ones that pop around that mark.
After the midfielders are sorted we could pick up one a year for 5 years and cycle through till we pick up a superstar.
Also the dogs will drop a good one in the next couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back