Opinion 2023 Pass mark (Nicks keeps job)

Minimum number of wins for a pass for AFC in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually he said the supporters are likely to react that way, not the club.

Dunno if he's actually met any of our supporters but with 95% happy no matter what and 5% angry ants, I think he's overplayed the supporters factor.
Yes but he also mentioned we're in the longest period out of finals in club history and that no other Crows coaches had lasted more than 2 years out of finals.

13 games at AO, 13 games against sides finishing 10-18 last season, added Rankine, a fit Rachele, a fit Peglar, (a fit Sloane) another year of development of youngsters - we have to do better than 9 to 10 wins surely?

You’ve got research for this?
Page 19 of this thread, mustve escaped the all seeing Kramer eye.

“Matthew Nicks, whilst he still has another year on his contract, I think the patience is starting to run out for the fans.”
prepare thyself for a 20 page copy and paste.
Am I spoiling the summer edition of Kramer and 1970 wallow in self pity about the crows again lol. Sorry, not sorry.
Yes but he also mentioned we're in the longest period out of finals in club history and that no other Crows coaches had lasted more than 2 years out of finals.
True, but no coach has done a full burn it to the ground rebuild either. I think that course demands a bit of tolerance.

13 games at AO, 13 games against sides finishing 10-18 last season, added Rankine, a fit Rachele, a fit Peglar, (a fit Sloane) another year of development of youngsters - we have to do better than 9 to 10 wins surely?
Its possible we could get up to 12 wins, but it would need a lot of things to go right.
Ive watched a heap of games this off season, how we lost some of them is beyond me, Freo R1, I watched Gold Coast yesterday, far out were we off our game to an extent I find almost impossible to believe watching it now. I've watched bits of the Hawks game, that might've been winnable if we didn't get off to such a horror start. We got off to a lot of bad starts! Thats something I hope we worked on whatever was causing it (might just be inexperience) in this offseason.
Conversely if it went worse than normal you could expect 6-8 wins.
9-10 is the most likely outcome.

Not sure about wins and losses in terms of Nicks keeping his job. An extra home game probably adds a bit more expectation.

There's a few more pressing issues to sort out:

(1) Our crap starts. We only won 6 out of 22 opening quarters in 2022 (we were basically 50/50 for the remaining quarters). Even against lowly teams we came out looking flat and lost.

(2) The Sloane issue. If Nicks can't make the tough calls, then he needs to be moved on. Regardless of whether or not Sloane is captain, he can't be taking one of our four prime midfield spots. Whether we play him in a different role, increase the number of players rotating in there, or move someone like Keays out of there, whatever - we can't have him blocking the development of Schoenberg, Soligo, etc.

(3) Settle on our defensive structure. Considering most of our defenders have been on the list for several years and have played 20-50 games, we need to start settling on a structure first and then personnel. Doedee cannot play as a second tall, so stop trying it. We don't want to be getting to round 20 and are still having to experiment with our structure. MM can sneak in a few games when Doedee inevitably gets injured. If Milera is playing in defence, then it's likely only two of Worrell, Parnell, Jones and Hamill can fit in the side.

(4) Play an actual wingman. Have someone we can release to instead of the hack kick out of the stoppage. Dawson, Sholl, Nankervis, Cook, etc.

(5) Stop using top up players as our centre square mids in the SANFL. No disrespect to Boyle, Sharrad, etc who are good footballers, but it's embarrassing that we are using top ups in prime roles and having our AFL listed first and second round picks running around on the flanks.

Page 19 of this thread, mustve escaped the all seeing Kramer eye.

“Matthew Nicks, whilst he still has another year on his contract, I think the patience is starting to run out for the fans.”

Am I spoiling the summer edition of Kramer and 1970 wallow in self pity about the crows again lol. Sorry, not sorry.

True, but no coach has done a full burn it to the ground rebuild either. I think that course demands a bit of tolerance.
I’m looking for research on 95% happy, 5% arent. Surely you didn’t just pull that figure out of your arse?

I’m looking for research on 95% happy, 5% arent. Surely you didn’t just pull that figure out of your arse?
Surely you havent forgotten the whiney asses on this site during the season (each season for the last 10 at least) going "dont go over and look at the crows facebook page" its full of comments "tried hard" and "that mackay boy played a great game"?

Memory of a goldfish with old timers.

Surely you havent forgotten the whiney asses on this site during the season (each season for the last 10 at least) going "dont go over and look at the crows facebook page" its full of comments "tried hard" and "that mackay boy played a great game"?

Memory of a goldfish with old timers.
So you’re an ageist? Interesting.

Anyway, Facebook isn’t the totality of our membership base. I for one don’t frequent it and wouldn’t post negative comments to be hounded by the Mary Poppins brigade. I also have clients as Facebook friends so my social media is low key.

It’s ok to admit you made it up.

I'm kind of amazed that Bickley going on radio and saying Nicks is running out of time, is not seen as a massive red flag. There is no way he made those comments without the club admin knowing about it beforehand.

Red Flag? Whilst the club is publicly behind Nicks for the foreseeable future - we know that coaching contracts are easily broken. The external pressure has already started to build. There were articles late last year about how Nicks won't survive the rebuild, Bickley has come out talking expectations. These sentiments will grow exponentially if we suck again in 2023.

Nicks aint safe.

Who would have thought this time last year that Ben Rutten would be fired one year after taking the Bombers to the finals?

Old Ratten had 3 seasons at St. Kilda. He took over a team in late 2019 that hadn't made the finals since 2011. He coached 69 games for 35 wins and even won a final.

Right now Nicks is at 60 games coached for 18 wins and highest finish of 14. In no way is he safe. People seem to forget our last two sacked coaches (Sando / Pyke) were both ousted with a further 2 years to run on their contracts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Red Flag? Whilst the club is publicly behind Nicks for the foreseeable future - we know that coaching contracts are easily broken. The external pressure has already started to build. There were articles late last year about how Nicks won't survive the rebuild, Bickley has come out talking expectations. These sentiments will grow exponentially if we suck again in 2023.
I know there has already been pressure on Nicks in the media. It's just that Bickley has a history of being a club mouthpiece. This is the same guy who came into bat for Nicks dragging his feet on Thilthorpe's selection, immediately before he booted 5 goals. He's always taking the club's side on everything so when he goes on radio and says history isn't on Nicks side and fans are getting restless, that seems like a bad sign.

How many coaches in AFL history have survived their first 4 seasons without making the finals and coached a 5th season?

3 - Ted Whitten, Alan Richardson, Stuart Dew.

You banking on Nicks being the 4th?
Nicks would want us to be showing improvement this year... being on the cusp of finals & ready to challenge for finals in 2024... or likely we will make a change.

He doesn't need to make finals to keep his job imo... as he has come from a complete rebuild.

How many coaches in AFL history have survived their first 4 seasons without making the finals and coached a 5th season?

Interesting. I think there are plenty along the way that thought they would be the 4th, 12 months out but alot changes.

In my opinion Dew is only on that list through lack of scrutiny and pressure from supporters. He wouldn't of survived at most other clubs.

As I've said before I think some of Nicks's future depends on Hinkley. There is always one club in town under pressure. If Port have a good year, Nicks will become the media target. I'm not suggesting the Club care about Port but they do care if the media is hounding the club.

Nicks aint safe.

Who would have thought this time last year that Ben Rutten would be fired one year after taking the Bombers to the finals?

Old Ratten had 3 seasons at St. Kilda. He took over a team in late 2019 that hadn't made the finals since 2011. He coached 69 games for 35 wins and even won a final.

Right now Nicks is at 60 games coached for 18 wins and highest finish of 14. In no way is he safe. People seem to forget our last two sacked coaches (Sando / Pyke) were both ousted with a further 2 years to run on their contracts.

going in and out of finals is what cost Rutten and Ratten, once you make finals the first time it sets the level of expectation for the list.

When you go into further detail

The Saints went 12-10 in Richardson's 3rd season and missed the finals on %, Dew is up there coaching a basketcase club and Ted Whitten's initial stint was back in the 1950s

Keeping Nicks for a 5th year, especially if we have a mediocre 2023, will almost be unprecedented.

1993 Prelim. Remote for the TV irreparably damaged.

Frees at half time - Essendon 16; Adelaide 14 despite us being 7 goals up.

Frees at the end of the game - Essendon 32; Adelaide 16.

Yep. We only got 2 frees in the 2nd half.

Mind you, if Andrew Jarman doesn't miss that goal from 20 metres out things might have been different.

Reckon we would have won the GF that year. If only we'd made it.......
If I recall correctly it was Bewick and Wanganeen as the primary recipients of these. Flopping their way all over the place...and they were gifted them by the biased umps again...

Back