Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Was listening to a podcast this morning and they predicted that we could be a team that will slide this year and maybe even out of the 8.
They were trying to look for ways to get Carlton into the 8.
Sydney were the other team along with Freo who may slide a bit.
Interesting that none of the teams mentioned were Victorian.
The love fest for Carlton this year will reach fever pitch to the point of it being sickening. I also have no doubt the VMelbourne media will be proclaiming that Dan McStay is one of the greatest fwds of the modern era to. IDK, but the Carlton fest will be inrgratiating from all bandwagon media types just as they do the the Pies supporters - ugh

Below link to my photos from Monday's training session
I imagine Mr Ripper will post his at some stage.
You can either click on the first image and view them one at a time.
Or to see a slideshow just click on the very small icon that looks like a TV or computer monitor.
It's located towards top right just under the larger cloud icon.

There are 2 sets of 2 player name images on a whiteboard. They are opposing each other in that match sims.
However, i would not take too much from that at this stage as there was always 1 group sitting out the match sim.

Great work - many thanks!

Probably has more to do with his career being almost over. Based on his 2022 output he's lucky to be on a list
Shocked Surprise GIF by South Park

Glad to see that Joyce got picked up. He's a good athlete, hard worker and has made great strides over the years but the final piece of the puzzle that hasn't clicked yet is game day footy IQ. He's big, strong, fast and technically a very sound kick but gets caught out of position a bit too regularly and can make some poor decisions with the footy.

Now it seems like we haven't had the most professional coaching setup for many years and maybe the change of scenery along with some new voices/fresh perspective can help Joyce put it all together. Good luck to him.

A fit and firing Zorko is the difference between a flag and bundling out in a prelim. If he can get anywhere near his output from previous years you'd practically lock us in for the flag.
Recently watched replays of finals victories over Tiges n Dees and Zorks was instrumental when needed in the defining moments in those games.......couldn't watch the Cats PF again.

Glad to see that Joyce got picked up. He's a good athlete, hard worker and has made great strides over the years but the final piece of the puzzle that hasn't clicked yet is game day footy IQ. He's big, strong, fast and technically a very sound kick but gets caught out of position a bit too regularly and can make some poor decisions with the footy.

Now it seems like we haven't had the most professional coaching setup for many years and maybe the change of scenery along with some new voices/fresh perspective can help Joyce put it all together. Good luck to him.
Cheers for the insights. Much appreciated since I guess most of us here have seen very little of him.

A fit and firing Zorko is the difference between a flag and bundling out in a prelim. If he can get anywhere near his output from previous years you'd practically lock us in for the flag.
I don't necessarily agree that he is the difference, but if he is fit and firing they will be a helluva lot more entertaining wins

Recently watched replays of finals victories over Tiges n Dees and Zorks was instrumental when needed in the defining moments in those games.......couldn't watch the Cats PF again.
Went through and watched the highlights on Youtube from those two finals. Shouldn't have done because now I'm beyond pumped for the season to start

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you, I appreciate your point of view and understand your reasoning.

My only counter is that I think from fullback he is able to see the whole game unfold infront of him. He is able to see things that may go unnoticed by a captain in the thick of things. Your right that there's not many fullbacks that have been successful captains but one of the best captains of the past 10yrs or so had the benefit of playing behind the ball, Luke Hodge. I do understand the pressure a fullback has and the consequence of mistakes but improvement in our team defense should alleviate some of that pressure. If we do see a marked improvement in that area this year and that carry thru to future seasons, Andrews will be a good captain to go with that.

Regarding his personal form, again an improved team defense will see his form improve too.

Tom Harley was an average player but a great captain, from the back line.

Payne now best 23 and we should see more improvement in 2023. I don't see Joyce as any threat to our existing KPD barring injuries.
Jack has been in the AFL system since 2018. He is still young for a KPD and will play all the 2023 season as a 23-year-old.
He played 12 games in 2022 as defense back up. Had a solid year and he now should be more settled and confident in his role for the team.
Also played in 3 finals last year with 2 wins and 1 loss.

He has had two other finals appearances.
His first finals game was in 2020. Lions lost the PF to the Cats by 40 points.
In 2021 when he was concussed very early in the game. Lions lost the SF by 1 point to the Dogs.

Payne now best 23 and we should see more improvement in 2023. I don't see Joyce as any threat to our existing KPD barring injuries.
Jack has been in the AFL system since 2018. He is still young for a KPD and will play all the 2023 season as a 23-year-old.
He played 12 games in 2022 as defense back up. Had a solid year and he now should be more settled and confident in his role for the team.
Also played in 3 finals last year with 2 wins and 1 loss.

He has had two other finals appearances.
His first finals game was in 2020. Lions lost the PF to the Cats by 40 points.
In 2021 when he was concussed very early in the game. Lions lost the SF by 1 point to the Dogs.
He was one of our better players in that final as well. If he gets a decent crack at it from day dot this year he'll be much better off for it.

Like most scribes I also haven’t seen him play but from the research I have undertaken on him he appears to fill a need that we have on our list now that Adams has been placed on the inactive list. Adams was a best 22 player who will be missed during the year but gives an opportunity for Payne to solidify his position. However if any of our best 3 key position defenders go down we need a ready made replacement. This is where Joyce comes in. From the research I can gather on him he appears to be a highly motivated individual who has excellent leadership credentials and has the speed, strength and height to negate key forwards. He has been within the AFL system for 6 years so knows what is required of him and can fill a role if required to play in the 1sts. He would not have been kept on the list by St. Kilda if they did not see something in him. The average time span for an AFL recruit is less than 3 years so he has surpassed that milestone. His background is hurling so obviously he would take a while to pick up the skills of AFL. The lions recruiting team have an excellent record in finding ready made players and would have considered every ready made key position player in Australia to replace Marcus Adams. Although Joyce was training with Collingwood the lions scouts would have been aware of his availability and shipped him up to our headquarters to better test his capabilities. Given they signed him so quickly gives everyone an insight that they must have liked what they saw in him. They would have also been watching him play for St Kilda over the years so have acquired enough intel on his capabilities to make an informed decision on signing him to our list. I am glad that we have filled our list with a positional need rather than pick the best player available. With our current list we have a very real capacity to win a flag within the next 2 years. With three excellent AFL players being Lyons, Zorko and Rich probably retiring within this timeframe. I hope Marcus Adams comes back in 2024 but in the mean time Darragh Joyce is our man. Welcome to the den.💥🥇
im-sorry-but-im-not-convinced-alan-reed.gif

Was listening to a podcast this morning and they predicted that we could be a team that will slide this year and maybe even out of the 8.
They were trying to look for ways to get Carlton into the 8.
Sydney were the other team along with Freo who may slide a bit.
Interesting that none of the teams mentioned were Victorian.

Those opining are 100% disingenuous

Lions will be the best team in it this year and it would take a major catastrophe for them to miss the 8.

Those opining are 100% disingenuous

Lions will be the best team in it this year and it would take a major catastrophe for them to miss the 8.
Couldnt agree more - literally would have to be a disaster for us not to make he 8. I can only suspect that those claiming otherwse are those same bias Melbourne journos that have distaste for the interstate teams and a dislike for us . Im not saying we;ll win the flag - hope we do, but cant see how we miss it partcularly with the Gabbatoir fortress

Below link to my photos from Monday's training session
I imagine Mr Ripper will post his at some stage.
You can either click on the first image and view them one at a time.
Or to see a slideshow just click on the very small icon that looks like a TV or computer monitor.
It's located towards top right just under the larger cloud icon.

There are 2 sets of 2 player name images on a whiteboard. They are opposing each other in that match sims.
However, i would not take too much from that at this stage as there was always 1 group sitting out the match sim.

Great photos.

Big O looks more filled out and all the other players look ripped and in great condition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back