Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard this as well, and that the Lions tried to get her to nominate Queensland only in the draft…but she didn’t. I guess when she was playing games with the club and can see how difficult it is for fringe players to break into the team, she preferred her chances somewhere else. Plenty of others left the club for the same reason i.e. had contract offers to stay but chose to leave.

Well that's fair enough then. I think her interview after the draft pointed to her keenness to get to Melbourne or somewhere else beyond Lions. So it worked out ok as she intended.

"
Despite being about to make a big move interstate at only 19 years-old, Wotherspoon is excited by the opportunity moving interstate will provide for her football.

“I’m actually really excited to explore this opportunity,” Wotherspoon said. “I think there’s lots of developing that can be done in Melbourne being the footy state, so I was actually quite open to the idea.

“Sometimes it was that idea probably was more exciting than the Brisbane one just in the ways that I thought for my footy and my game moving forward, just the room to develop and the resources and the VFL and that I thought that it was just going to be better for my footy and someone like me who hasn’t played much footy, there’s just a lot more ways to improve, coaches and don’t get me wrong there’s still quality coaches in Brisbane but just a lot more access to the resources down here.”

Well that's fair enough then. I think her interview after the draft pointed to her keenness to get to Melbourne or somewhere else beyond Lions. So it worked out ok as she intended.

"
Despite being about to make a big move interstate at only 19 years-old, Wotherspoon is excited by the opportunity moving interstate will provide for her football.

“I’m actually really excited to explore this opportunity,” Wotherspoon said. “I think there’s lots of developing that can be done in Melbourne being the footy state, so I was actually quite open to the idea.

“Sometimes it was that idea probably was more exciting than the Brisbane one just in the ways that I thought for my footy and my game moving forward, just the room to develop and the resources and the VFL and that I thought that it was just going to be better for my footy and someone like me who hasn’t played much footy, there’s just a lot more ways to improve, coaches and don’t get me wrong there’s still quality coaches in Brisbane but just a lot more access to the resources down here.”
She is hardly going to say she is disappointed to be selected by Melbourn and doesn’t really want to go.

I think she was open to either, otherwise she would have nominated a particular state.

"

Same as what Taylor Harris said except a tad less cutting.

Why don't the concussion spotters talk directly to someone on the bench, who then directly informs the club doctor? The test can then be done immediately. Sounds like their protocols are the main problem and significantly contributed to this outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back