Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's apply a little bit of critical thinking.

We traded out of pick 12 and received pick 21, 31 and 46.

The rules on AFLW academy matching this year is that you lose your next pick but it must be in the same round.

Hmmm... the last pick in the first round is pick 21. I'd wondered if there'd be a weird incentive for those late picks in a given round given the rule change and sure enough we're on it. We have three girls rated in the top 30 of the draft and now we have the last two picks in the first round to get them, otherwise we would have either had to take one at 12 anyway or miss out on one if they both went in the 12-21 range.

We also have three scattered across the second half of the second round to pick up the third option or whoever else we rate at that point.

The one thing that might have caught us out was Gold Coast trading out of pick 14, as only one of our highly rated girls nominated nationally and now we've got four picks before their first. However it also means that if we want we can jump on one of the GC academy girls at the end of the first round and they won't be able to match.

It's pretty self-evident that we're still focusing on Queensland talent. All clubs are still seeing interstate players return home, often after only a year or two, so getting those based in state is a huge advantage if the talent is there (sorry NSW) and we've proven there's more than enough up in Queensland to win premierships. Moving from 12 to the last pick in the first round is a positive in that context, similar to trading back for extra points in the men's draft.
I’ll readily admit I haven’t paid any attention to the AFLW draft or rules, so have no idea what is going on or required.

I can't find any info as to when we need to delist players, but the second free agent period start runs from tomorrow til Saturday. So, yeah it's quite likely I'd guess. Players like Sheridan, Wendland, Pregelj and Martin-Yoshida would be probably the list any further delistings come from.
I just remember every team has to take 3 picks to the draft, so at least one of these players will be unlucky

I just remember every team has to take 3 picks to the draft, so at least one of these players will be unlucky
Two.

Clubs must use two picks in the draft itself (down from three in previous drafts), meaning if they wish to hold over two selections for SSP, they have to take four picks into the draft.

I dunno. I thought she looked pretty slow this year and we went past her as a key back.

Great effort to go out a premiership player
Our whole backline looked slow, undersized and indecisive for a lot of the season, but came good when we needed them.

That's okay, perfect opportunity for us to get some games into Kiara Hillier...oh...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our whole backline looked slow, undersized and indecisive for a lot of the season, but came good when we needed them.

That's okay, perfect opportunity for us to get some games into Kiara Hillier...oh...

Time to get Lulu back !!!!

Time to get Lulu back !!!!
She showed a lot of promise here and her game is developing nicely at North. She is training to be a Doctor and by all reports a very solid citizen.

No idea why she was on the outer at the club, they value team dynamics very highly. She must have run over someone's cat.

She showed a lot of promise here and her game is developing nicely at North. She is training to be a Doctor and by all reports a very solid citizen.

No idea why she was on the outer at the club, they value team dynamics very highly. She must have run over someone's cat.
There are more opportunities in medicine/science in Melbourne. Could be as simple as that.

I swear I read Gemma Bastiani's article this morning and it said three. Weird.
It wouldn't be the first time that the AFL has put up something and corrected it quietly. It's definitely saying two now:

What picks does my team have?

Each club must take a minimum two picks to the draft, and at least two players must be taken via the draft. After that, there is an option to pass on one or two of the club's final selections to sign an undrafted free agent, or someone who nominated for the draft in another state but were not selected. Should a club want to take two players as undrafted free agents, they must take a minimum of four picks to the draft.

Agreed…I think if you are not ‘in’ with Bre Brock then you don’t get a game. Don’t know how Lulu wasn’t getting games last year over Dee Heslop at least, if not Phoebe as well. I wonder if some of the many that have now left have suffered the same experience, as I would have thought a number of them would have also been getting games over those mentioned above.

Agreed…I think if you are not ‘in’ with Bre Brock then you don’t get a game. Don’t know how Lulu wasn’t getting games last year over Dee Heslop at least, if not Phoebe as well. I wonder if some of the many that have now left have suffered the same experience, as I would have thought a number of them would have also been getting games over those mentioned above.
Wow, Five grand finals, two premierships, what do we need Starcevich and footy personnel for? I never realised Bre is responsible for the success. Build a statue for Bre Brock.

Wow, Five grand finals, two premierships, what do we need Starcevich and footy personnel for? I never realised Bre is responsible for the success. Build a statue for Bre Brock.
Well the question was asked whose cat was run over…likely Bre’s. She has more involvement in list management than any other GM in the comp. But hey, maybe it is Starcevich. But whoever kept playing Dee over Lulu based on the performances last year, I don’t get it…and Dee over numerous others this year.

If you watch our games starcevich has always been about structure, while neither Monahan and Dee are the most skilled of players, they are also very reliable players and try their guts out. I think that is what our team is about and both the above players fit in nicely in that setup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back