2023 Rankings

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Order will be updated as i see more (Mainly state games). I wont rank players i havnt seen at all or enough of

1. H.Reid (VIC)

2. J.Walter (Allies)
3. Dan Curtain (WA)
4. Nate Caddy (VIC)
5. Z.Duursma (VIC)

6. R.Sanders (Allies)

7. C.Mckercher (TAS)
8. C.Osullivan (Allies)

9. Nick Watson (VIC)
10. K.Tholstrop (WA)

11. H.Demattia (VIC)
12. D.Wilson (VIC)

13. Clay Hall (WA)
14. K.Sanchez (WA)

15. Joel Freijah (VIC)
16. J.Rogers (Allies)

17. Archer Reid (VIC)

18. E.Read (Allies)
19. M.Edwards (WA)
20. G.Stevens (VIC)
21. Tom Wheaton (SA)
22. K.De La Rue (VIC) if 184+ (Need to see more)

23. Oscar Ryan (VIC)
24. Nathan Philactides (VIC)
24. R.Hardeman (WA)
25. Ash Moir (SA)

26. P.Gothard (Allies)
27. J.Callinan (Allies)
28. Will Patton (SA)

29. Samuel Otto (WA)
30 Will Graham (Allies)
31. Lance Collard (WA)

32. R.Torrent (WA)
33. B.Ryan (SA)

34. Tarkyn O'Leary (VIC)

35. L.Charlesson (VIC)
36. A.Odriscoll (WA)

37. L.Slade (SA)
38. Oscar Hind Bastin (WA)

39. Kai Dehavilland (WA)
‐-------------‐------------‐------------‐------------

Lorenz*
Brown*
Most Vic M*
Evans*
L.Morris*
Croft*
Hastie*
ect

* Some players i havnt seen enough of
‐-------------‐------------‐------------‐----------------------
Draft looks really strong and pretty deep on early inspection

Im not going to change my rankings too significantly i hope. I dont rank necessarily on stats and the output but what i think they will become, so with that rankings shouldnt change significantly. Still yet to see enough though
Player i rank higher than most so far;

Z.Duursma
K.Sanchez
C.Osullivan
Oscar Ryan
R.Torrent
Sam Otto
L.Slade
T.Wheaton
L.Charlesson
P.Gothard

Player i rank lower than most so far;

N.Watson
Rucks (M.Edwards and E.Read)
‐---------‐-‐-------------‐------------‐------------‐--------
Players im struggling to rank/place;

J.Delean
K.Macaullife
W.Mccabe

Last edited:
Order will be updated as i see more (Mainly state games). I wont rank players i havnt seen at all or enough of

1. H.Reid (VIC)

2. J.Walter (Allies)

3. Z.Duursma (VIC)

4. C.Osullivan (Allies)
5. Dan Curtain (WA)
6. C.Mckercher (TAS)
7. R.Sanders (Allies)

8. Nick Watson (VIC)
9. L.Collard (WA)
10. E.Read (Allies)
11. A.Moir (SA)

12. J.Rogers (Allies)

13. M.Edwards (WA)
14. K.Tholstrop (WA)

15. Nathan Philactides (VIC)

16. R.Hardeman (WA)
17. K.Sanchez (WA)

18. P.Gothard (Allies)
19. J.Callinan (Allies)

20. Samuel Otto (WA)
21. Clay Hall (WA)
22. Tarkyn O'Leary (VIC)
22. R.Torrent (WA)
23. L.Slade (SA)
‐-------------‐------------‐------------‐------------
Caddy*
Wilson*
Lorenz*
Brown*
Freijah*
Most Vic M/Vic C*
Delean*
Evans*
McCabe*
A.Reid*
L.Morris*
Croft*
Patton*
ect

* Some players i havnt seen enough of
Draft looks really strong and pretty deep on early inspection

Im not going to change my rnakings too significantly i hope. I dont rank necessarily on stats and the output but what i think they will become, so with that rankings shouldnt change significantly. Still yet to see enough though

C.Osullivan
L.Collard
A.Moir
R.Torrent
Sam Otto

N.Watson

Do have a list of all midfielders that you believe have chances of going within the Top 30 picks?

Do have a list of all midfielders that you believe have chances of going within the Top 30 picks?
You could check the other power rankings as to midfielders that are considered generally top 30 range

There was also antop 14 players to follow aswell, which is basically the top 14 roughly at this time. Then see the mids in there

VIC C vs SA
Notes for todays game

Duursma i thought was a class above and really stood out. Close to BOG for me. He may be the number 2

H.Reid Im not sure hes as good as what we think and ive been as big on him as any. The game in the 3rd was played between the arcs though and he stayed deep forward. Disappointing not to see him onball for longer. Is he going to be a 25 disp + midfielder that gets up and back. Still have him a clear 1 and that wont change

L.Slade Been one that has really impressed me and caught my eye the last 2 weeks. Hes super smart, clean and skillful. Hes a bit timid and his build is a concern. Clubs would be silly not to take as a late pick in some draft if available, should get an AFL crack. If hes 182 that really helps.

H.Demmatia First ive watched him and he seems a pretty good play, just the moment ofs acceleration, 184 and tough

Ash Moir Nothing he did today turned me off, he doesnt seem to cover the ground aswell as id like, nor quite have the speed but he has serious weapons and skill both sides of his body. Its hard to know sometimes if hes a little laconic knowing he will be drafted but not working for a top spot and will raise to the next level of AFL

D.Wilson*/Freijah* Need to see more, because there games and where people rate them just dont add up on todays performance. Wilson playing the hardest position on field for this game and the wing aint easy sometimes either. Freijah certainly has ability and weapons, moves well, kicks well, fumbled a bit

L.Charleson Not far off Noah Long last year, not far behind. Whether thats good enough to be drafted at his size... yet to be determined

J.Delean*
K.Mcauliffe*

* Want to see more before placing

An update to my thread ranking after seeing the WA vs SA game

Tom Wheaton
K.Tholstrup
W.Patton ranked quite highly

Ash Moir ive finally had to get off the bandwagon, hes either player injured or just isnt that good, he likely would really slide. His running is a huge issue. Hes my slider.

Some SA guys Delean, Macauliffe and Mccabe im struggling to place. Coen Livingstone is probably the hard one for WA at the moment. Alot of people have him as the best 5 from WA, he was very good early but got some handy frees and then didnt finish off his game like his first term.

Dan Curtain i said after the game had taken 4th spot then i remembered having Sanders there and i have them very close for 4/5

Sanchez, Harderman all held

VIC C vs WA
VIC vs WA

At the game so see different things to the tv screen and miss others.

Curtain and Reid (26 disp, 10 marks, 2 goals) were the standouts. Curtain BOG for me

Game VIC C dominated the first quarter and half and the game shouldve been over, but WA were the better side for the last 2.5 qtrs. Got territory and had every chance to win. Huge Melee involved at half time, lingered for ages, heaps of feeling in this game. Was very good in dewy conditions but more because it was close and the atmosphere with the fans was great.

Curtain BOG as i said wouldve had close to 25-30 and 10 marks+ imo. That late goal was a huge snap from distance against the fence. He started onball and the VIC C mids dominated early so he was quickly moved back as they were getting beaten in the middle anyway and also to sure up their backline (Talls like Rudd and Reid took them apart early) and then VIC C were scoring albeit missing their chances. He got some easy ball from kickouts but hes a jet. Today confirmed hes clear top 4,maybe top 3 (Excl Duursma) for me. Word from the west is eagles are considering at pick 1 anyway. The question marks are still whether hes a midfielder at AFL level, i think its a project and will take a long time. Hes a Jordan Dawson type if he starts onball, but mainly plays back 50% of the ground post there, it could work. He will start back at AFL anyway as an intercept 3rd tall if eagles have the ability to allow that (Maybe not if they lose Barrass). The minor issue and it is why clubs want to see him onball is the way he plays down back at 195cm. He plays an intercepting defender who reads the ball. I personally think its fine, i like seeing him in the middle and it the reason ill have him top 4 as you can find defenders far latter in the pool (See Adelaide)

H.Reid wow, huge impact. Hes still a mile ahead. Its the persona that comes with this guy, he knocks guys to the ground off the ball, fair and square. He gets involved in melees but its his footy that does most the talking. More onball today, no great Clearance work that stood out like crazy, his forward play of the ball is great though. Striker role will be his go. Kicked the 2nd last goal of the game from memory. Had alot more shots, missed plenty. Took a huge 1v1 mark out of position in the last3 mins, smart play is he take 30 secs and has the shot, but he was selfless which clubs would also like to see and the guy really shouldve just held the mark, but dewy conditions with a helicopter kick it opens up the chance for the opposition and really WA shouldve/almost grabbed it. 26 disp, 10 marks, 2 goals, alot of misses. Only question mark is his ability to cover ground, its not terrible but its nit picking. Hes a power athlete and struggles to stay in the midfield getting up and down the ground but i think he will be giving the Dusty Martin luxury early at AFL to maximise his best assets

Duursma underwhelming a little but still shows signs of everything recruiters love and want to see. Played more fwd with Reid onball a bit more which maybe didnt help. Its hard to see his games impacting what i think of him, i think hes probably the clear number 4 atm behind (Reid, Curtain, Walter). Lovely height, moves well through traffic, wins footy inside and out, can obviously hit the scoreboard, kicked an important late goal from memory, kicks the footy very nicely. Has a skinny frame like his brother, just whether he can add weight to it and compete inside at AFL level. Starts forward or on a wing most likely

Demattia Loved what i see again. His size, muscle build, hard as a cats head type but also comes with a lovely left peg and some speed. Really rising i feel, his first half excellent then slowly drifted out but was a big reason for VIC C dominance in the first 40 mins. Really entrenching himself in the top 20, maybe top 15, think clubs will really like him as he has all the tools. Just needs to find it more, at coates League needs to try and turn those 20-25 disp games into 25-30 and he really goes up very high on boards i feel

Michael Rudd Very impressed, back to back weeks for him. Its just his 192 cm as a tall forward and how they may hold him back at the next level. Will be on an AFL list next year though. Still a fine size for that 3rd tall forward type. Moving up my board, unlucky not be awarded a 2 v 1 mark at the end. If he grows to 194/195 he really will go up the boards of AFL clubs. One of the best KPF/tall forwards on the ground

Darcy Wilson On a wing today instead of the HFF. Was involved a fair bit early and probably got a bit over. Looks a smart footballer for his size. Hes probably unlucky not to get his shot onball. He could be a steal if he slides but i still think clubs see his great size as an inside midfield who can kick goals find it inside and out. If he gets close to or at 20s he could be a steal. Would be good to see him onball instead of was it Coby James who was good but at 176cm he may be limited a little. Duursma, Reid, Demattia have to be involved in the middle they aint going elsewhere too much

Tholstrup I was watching pretty closely because who i sat with so he stood out a bit more and it might be a bit biased. His first half very hard to get involved off a forward flank when getting belted. His 2nd half was brilliant and he was in the thick of the melee. He cemented a top 20 spot for me, i think clubs are just going to fall in love with him. He apparently has it all, well you can see he has the kicking ability penetrating and very good, speed is very good, his size is great, hes powerful, hard as they come, has great character and the thing thats hard to tell from watching is their endurance, tank? Which apparently he has aswell. I cant see him going outside the 20 now. Hes the type that bolts into the 10 late. Can he become a midfielder? I believe clubs want to see that more at the next level which will come. Starts HFF at AFL level, his best comparison is probably the Zurhaar but there arent many like him. Also similar mould to the Trac, Dusty, JDG, Rayner types who added midfield ability later in their careers which he will do at whichever club takes him

Collard Hes the one im cooling on. He has all the talent but ive heard he doesnt have great work ethic and his competitiveness at times isnt great, doesnt stay in the contest and can be ill disciplined at times, chasing and pushing guys in the back, way after theyve disposed of it. Having said that he was almost the match winner in the last with 2 goals and a very very good running goal. Sometimes i feel clubs will see a bit of Shai Bolton but then i see a guy that also wont make it. I think hes on an AFL list next year albeit could be a late gamble thats worth it, tonight his last qtr i think was enough. Needs to show it when things are hard, not when its downhill skiing which he can do. Has speed, unbelievable agility, does pressure, can jump on heads and knows where the goals are. May get a chance at league level later this year. Gonna be a hard one to place

O'Driscoll There is something about this guy, he will another hard one to place, but i think hes quite late. Has to be on a list though. Has real energy and buzz about him. There is a bit of the hype man Butters about him and also Papley. Agile, quick, knows how to find space. Is his small size, lack of elite kick holding him back too much? Drafted but late, worth a shot imo

Evan Smith The next best KPF on the ground. Quite liked the small glimpses he showed. Probably didnt have it heaps as a 200cm KPF. Good hands and probably kicked 2 goals, one was touched over the line for sure. Missed another one. Showed a bit. I see hes more of a ruck at Colts level whereas he played KPF more with M.Edwards around. Clubs wouldve liked his forward ability

M.Edwards I sometimes struggle to see the impact rucks have at the game. I didnt notice him, he didnt take many clunks around the ground which i wouldve noticed more of. He just moves so well for a 205-207cm guy he naturally will be drafted fairly well. Nothing today changes my spot with him

R.Torrent I still have him as a late pick and his game vs SA last week i think was enough. Has a really lethal kick. Field kick is elite, can play anywhere. Mainly wing at AFL. Think the local clubs will at worse like him late. Some clubs may see his versatility good 183cm build and lethal as they get left kicks as a way to jump on a bit earlier.

Dehavilland Had his moments aswell. If hes 182 he could be on the radar, some good overhead marks. A later prospect

Sanchez His spot doesnt change for me, i have him high. Hes going to be a very good small forward/half forward. Like Butters, very smart disposal type

K.De La Rue I only watched him for the first time last outing for VIC C and noticed him but didnt know the number 10 was him. Then checked his name after that game and watched this one. Will definitely be on a list, starting to really move up my board. Says hes 184cm aswell on afl.com.au so could be a really good midfielder with good size. One of those that does everything well, nothing stands out as super elite yet. Trying to compare vs 184cm Demattia, hes slightly behind. Need to watch a bit more for speed and kicking ability.

Freijah I thought was better today. Moves well, kicks well, would love to see him onball but probably dont for this VIC C side. Trying to put my finger on who he reminds me off. Marty Mattner? Its Liam Duggan. Wouldnt have had heaps of it, but enough and showed what he is live.

G.Stevens I think hes a mid with his mid 20 disp games at national level and 44 disp at Coates league level. Went back today with the amount of midfielders VIC C have and he got his shot last week. He wouldnt have had much of it, took a few kick ins though, he played quite deep rather than genuine half back. Almost as the 2nd or 3rd tall at times it seemed. He keeps going up my radar, i quite liked his kicking and decision making today. Want to see him onball at the level again and i feel we wont see it next week atleast. My question marks about his kicking was answered today. We know he can be a brute Ollie Wines type. His question marks are his upside, i think he will fly home as an onballer in the coates league. Hes not quick and hes not going to get much bigger, you almost wouldnt want him to

A.Reid He had 2 separate halves and was almost the result of work further up the field. VIC dominated the first half for most if and he got on the end of a few and didnt have much of Curtain to deal with, WA didnt have much else in pure size to match him. Then WA got on top 2nd half, Curtain back for the entirety of it and he seemed to not have any impact. Will still go earlyish based on size and athleticsm. Looks like he will fill out a bit more than his brother Zac Reid.

Hind-Baston gets picked up, but he is an over ager so youd expect him to go well deep in the backline. Bit like Gorringe did for WA was it last year? but hes got some Quaynor i feel, his kicking ability and penetration maybe seperates him to getting an AFL spot plus the link with eagles so can be a Rookie B pickup, basically a free hit

Laul was very good, kicking great. One play i noticed which i really liked and probably most, didnt get a disposal, was his try late in the game with many WA players around him over the boundary line. Smart. Really liked him. Obvious similar type is C.Jiath but maybe a bit stereotypical, but they are similar and same positions

Oscar Ryan - My hidden one, great game and has some impressive stats in the coates, some of his kicks and decision making is elite

Ranks updated 01/07/2023

Last edited:

Z.Duursma
K.Sanchez
C.Osullivan
Oscar Ryan
R.Torrent
Sam Otto
L.Slade
T.Wheaton
L.Charlesson
P.Gothard

N.Watson
Rucks (M.Edwards and E.Read)
‐---------‐-‐-------------‐------------‐------------‐--------
Players im struggling to rank/place;

J.Delean
K.Macaullife
W.Mccabe
05/07/2023 Update

1. H.Reid (VIC C)
2. J.Walter (Allies) - GC Academy

3. Duursma (VIC C)
4. D.Curtain (WA)
5. R.Sanders (Allies)
6. Mckercher (Allies)
7. N.Caddy (VIC M)

8. O.Murphy (VIC M)
9. E.Read (Allies) - GC Academy
10. C.Osullivan (Allies)
11. J.Rogers (Allies) - GC Academy

12. N.Watson (VIC M)
13. Tholstrup (WA)
14. D.Wilson (VIC C)
15. H.Demattia (VIC C)

16. C.Hall (WA)
17. W.Lorenz (VIC M)
18. G.Stevens (VIC C)
19. K.Sanchez (WA)

20. J.Freijah (VIC C)
21. T.Wheaton (SA)

22. A.Reid (VIC C)
23. Schoenmaker (Allies)
24. L.Morris (VIC M)
25. C.Cleary (Allies) - Sydney Academy
26. O.Ryan (VIC C)

27. L.Lual (VIC C)
28. R.Hardeman (WA)

29. M.Edwards (WA)

30. W.Brown (VIC M)
31. K.De La Rue (VIC C)

32. J.Delean (SA)*
33. P.Gothard (Allies)
34. N.Philactides (VIC M)

35. Ash Moir (SA)

36. J.Callinan (Allies)
37. W.Patton (SA)

38. K.Brown (VIC M)
39. Will Graham (Allies) GC academy

29. Samuel Otto (WA)
31. Lance Collard (WA)

32. R.Torrent (WA)
33. B.Ryan (SA)

34. Tarkyn O'Leary (VIC)

35. L.Charlesson (VIC)
36. A.Odriscoll (WA)

37. L.Slade (SA)
38. Oscar Hind Bastin (WA)

39. Kai Dehavilland (WA)

H.Johnston*
J.Croft*
J.Delean*
K.Macauliffe*
W.McCabe*
Hastie*
Leake*
W.Elliott*

*Havnt seen enough to position or Unsure what i think exactly

Last edited:
Have watched all the Allies games, Gothard really sticks out to me in games.
I think he's going to be a top 5 player at the end of his career in this draft.
Ive been a massive fan aswell, i want to have higher but i reckon im hedging my bets a bit because i already have him much higher than others do

I watch and see alot of what i like

Liie quite a few small guys in Sanche, Gotharr, Rogers, Charlesson ect and i think Sheldrick, Gulden, Butters, Papley, Bolton doing well will hold them in good stead. Maybe a slight resurgance of small players

Still got to be able to kick and be quick at that sub 180 size

Last edited:
Go with your gut man, don't worry about consensus. You're experienced enough now :)
It just means that when you're right you get noticed, if you think Gothard is a gun, rate him higher!
I mean i have him around 30 next to Delean

I do find it hard to seperate how i rank them and where i see them being drafted

No doubr clubs give up greater pick assets for certain types of players (,ie not many rate rucks anymore, i think defenders are becoming a bit like that, small forwards a little aswell)

Thats the challenge i find tough

I know i prefer Sanchez. Watson and Rogers i just have to have higher and prefer anyway

MOCK DRAFT
PICK 1 - HARLEY REID
wce.PNG
WHY? Best available by a stretch
PLAYS LIKE: D.Martin
---------------------------------------------------------
PICK 2 - Daniel Curtin
north.PNG
WHY? Need a tall defender, hes best available for this spot. He plays straight away as a 3rd tall defender.
PLAYS LIKE: J.Dawson
PICK 3 - Z.Duursma
north.PNG
WHY? Best available. No doubt consider a Mckercher but Duursma has greater ability on a flank, out of the goal square or on a wing at the next level. They will like his flexability. Class and has that ceiling to almost be the best in the draft.
PLAYS LIKE: Goal Kicking Will Day
PICK 4 - C.Mckercher
hawks.PNG
WHY? Best available. Connor Osullivan or Nate Caddy could be the reach for me. They obviously love Duursma
PLAYS LIKE: Zac Merrett (Its a great comparison)
PICK 5 - R.Sanders
wbd.PNG
WHY? With Croft to come they need to replenish the midfield. Hes the next best available midfielder
PLAYS LIKE: Accumulating Jason Horne Francis with less explosivness
PICK 6 - C.Osullivan
dees.PNG
WHY? I think they will look to KPDs. May and Lever are getting on and he can play as a 3rd tall pretty early if he gets a good PS in him. Also has shown small snippets as a tall forward. Caddy may be the the other consideration but they have given up high capital for JVR and Jefferson. All 3 could certainly play together

PLAYS LIKE: J.Mcgovern
PICK 7 - D.Wilson

gws.PNG
WHY? After losing Bruhn, Taranto and Hopper they need to start stockpiling the midfield. I think If Osullivan or Sanders arent available here they will move out. I give them a very good chance to target pick 5 or 6 from the Suns/dees aswell and take Osullivan or Sanders. If C.Edwards is interested in a move i wouldnt rule him out either. Assuming Caddy and Watson go home factors are real here

PLAYS LIKE: Angus Brayshaw
PICK 8 - N.Caddy

cats.PNG
WHY? They will consider a mid but also need a bit of everything really. He may struggle for games year 1 with Hawkins, Jezza, Rohan but after one year development and some games he will be a fairly regular type. Hes best available here

PLAYS LIKE: J.Stringer
PICK 9 - C.Edwards

ess.PNG
WHY? Will consider N.Watson strongly if available, but i dont rate him this high and this mock takes into accounts my thoughts. C.Edwards will be the one to supersede Stringer and could be that big midfielder Essendon have always wanted and can allow 2-3 years to develop it onball in the VFL unless he is too good otherwise. Massive Risk/Reward, these tall mids always are but he has some huge weapons (kicking, overhead marking/explosiveness/kicking penetration/ Mid/Fwd ability)

I assume a big question to him that i dont know yet is his aerobic ability?

PLAYS LIKE: C.Rayner/C.Zurhaar/Petracca
PICK 10 - C.Windsor
1695028545358.png

WHY? I will admit i havnt seen heaps of him. Losing Seedsman and Sloane whos played a bit of wing. Brodie Smith, Milera getting on and Sholl not great. Windsor adds run, size and kicking ability. I think they may consider trading back and youd think some might come for N.Watson especially those top sides that need a small forward

PLAYS LIKE: Seedsman
PICK 11 - N.Watson

1695028956764.png

WHY? Im saying Carlton rate him clearly and are trading F1 and Current 1st which could well likely be 16. He can kick 30 goals next year and blues really become a serious weapon. They have a few smalls but maybe none with his ability. Motlop, owies, Durdin types. They will be eyeing off a flag next year and may seem him as the missing piece

PLAYS LIKE: J.Gresham/Daniels
PICK 12 - O.Murphy

1695029187428.png
WHY? They will snap up the best tall defender available left here. Mckay or not. O.Murphy will play as a 3rd tall for a fair while and take time to develop his body to become the 2nd behind a T.McCartin

PLAYS LIKE: J.Lever
--------------------------------------------------------------
PICK 13 - H.Demattia

1695030218619.png
WHY? Saints still need classy midfielders and Demattia is imo best available here for a guy that can still run and kick. They would like his ability to start off half back with maybe the loss of Hunter Clark or Coffield

PLAYS LIKE: Zak Jones Left Footer

PICK 14 - J.Leake

dees.PNG
WHY? They got their KPD earlier in C.OSullivan. They need a midfielder here but not much available with Demattia gone, i think hed be their ideal target here. I think they take a ruck or consider best available. Leake is that man and his ability to kick straight could be seen as something very important. Similar to Fritsch but can play together and he will take some time to be playing 22 consistent games

PLAYS LIKE: Bailey Fritsch
PICK 15 - A.Reid

north.PNG
WHY? Best KPF available. They will consider the 2 rucks in M.Edwards and W.Green but i think they need a more mature 2nd if Goldy leaves. They will snap him up very quickly here

PLAYS LIKE: Larkey
PICK 16 - K.Tholstrup
gws.PNG

WHY? Can be a future midfielder but that half forward ability will be strongly considered. Can have an immediate impact next year which will be strongly sort after a for a top 4 finishing side. Played all year against men, big body, has a tank and use is okay without being very good. Also i think his need to move and being a country boy will standout for the giants a bit here. Great character

PLAYS LIKE: Zurhaar
PICK 17 - W.Green/M.Edwards

1695028545358.png
WHY?
A ruck to be ready in 3-4 years to replace ROB. They may grab Lycett for a year. They got their linebreaking outside mid with the ability to play half back if needed with Windsor. They may consider going again with a Hardeman or A.Roberts HBF/Wing type again.

PLAYS LIKE: I havnt seen much of Will Green/ Tim English

PICK 18 - R.Hardeman

1695031441646.png
WHY? Losing Rich, Birchall and Answerth falling off plus with their F1 being sucked up by Ashcroft i think they i will look for a halfback/wing and someone who has experience against men. He has better 1v1 ability than a whitfield and is a predominant left footer. Mckenna, K.Coleman and Wilmott around but he may be seen as a winger early on with Fletcher/Berry more onball time next year if needed. I think they strongly strongly consider K.Sanchez aswell. More Redmans ability to play on someone if need be a bit deeper

PLAYS LIKE: L.Whitfield
PICK 19 - M.Edwards/W.Green
1695031833933.png

WHY? They have pretty much everything but probably with an ageing Cox and DCAM they may need to consider their future rucks. Oscar Steene is still raw and not clear whether he will make it

PLAYS LIKE: Tim English
PICK 20 - K.Sanchez
wce.PNG

WHY? Think theyd love a Tholstrup here to replace Cripps as the workhorse half fwd and i think they keep to local with H.Reid. Sanchez may be a bit too similar to Long but im going that way. I rate him highly but he does have his injuries. Slightly smaller Butters, his kicking and decision making is excellent

PLAYS LIKE: Zak Butters

PICK 21 - A.Schoenmaker
1695028545358.png

WHY?
Will consider trading out but i think with A.Schoenmaker there they will like him to replace those half backs i mentioned earlier like B.Smith/Milera and Hinge who could go wing again instead of a Sholl/Sloane types ect. Wing, Ruck and Half back with keeping a Future 1st aligned to Carlton. T.Jiath considered aswell id imagine. Im a big Wheaton fan but no one else seems to be and hed compliment their midfield and needs many years of development. G.Stevens maybe another considered here, they need to be careful with speed with Dawson in there for the next 5 years though. Schoenmaker is there first guy who doesnt have a Vic/WA home, covers their loses a bit. A.Roberts also strongly strongly considered

PLAYS LIKE: Greg Tivendale
PICK 21 - A.Roberts
1695032626333.png

WHY?
Think they will keep to best available here but also strongly consider the full time move of Young onball and an A.Roberts or even Jiath would allow that. A.Roberts is ready to play next year and is also a left foot kicker opposite to Ryan and Clark on the other half backs

PLAYS LIKE: Liam Duggan

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PICK 1 - HARLEY REID
View attachment 1807186
WHY? Best available by a stretch
PLAYS LIKE: D.Martin
PICK 2 - Daniel Curtin
View attachment 1807187
WHY? Need a tall defender, hes best available for this spot. He plays straight away as a 3rd tall defender.
PLAYS LIKE: J.Dawson
PICK 3 - Z.Duursma
View attachment 1807187
WHY? Best available. No doubt consider a Mckercher but Duursma has greater ability on a flank, out of the goal square or on a wing at the next level. They will like his flexability. Class and has that ceiling to almost be the best in the draft.
PLAYS LIKE: Goal Kicking Will Day
PICK 4 - C.Mckercher
View attachment 1807195
WHY? Best available. Connor Osullivan or Nate Caddy could be the reach for me. They obviously love Duursma
PLAYS LIKE: Zac Merrett (Its a great comparison)
PICK 5 - R.Sanders
View attachment 1807197
WHY? With Croft to come they need to replenish the midfield. Hes the next best available midfielder
PLAYS LIKE: Accumulating Jason Horne Francis with less explosivness
PICK 6 - C.Osullivan
View attachment 1807198
WHY? I think they will look to KPDs. May and Lever are getting on and he can play as a 3rd tall pretty early if he gets a good PS in him. Also has shown small snippets as a tall forward. Caddy may be the the other consideration but they have given up high capital for JVR and Jefferson. All 3 could certainly play together

PLAYS LIKE: J.Mcgovern
PICK 7 - D.Wilson

View attachment 1807223
WHY? After losing Bruhn, Taranto and Hopper they need to start stockpiling the midfield. I think If Osullivan or Sanders arent available here they will move out. I give them a very good chance to target pick 5 or 6 from the Suns/dees aswell and take Osullivan or Sanders. If C.Edwards is interested in a move i wouldnt rule him out either. Assuming Caddy and Watson go home factors are real here

PLAYS LIKE: B.Crouch
PICK 8 - N.Caddy

View attachment 1807224
WHY? They will consider a mid but also need a bit of everything really. He may struggle for games year 1 with Hawkins, Jezza, Rohan but after one year development and some games he will be a fairly regular type. Hes best available here

PLAYS LIKE: J.Stringer
PICK 9 - C.Edwards

View attachment 1807229
WHY? Will consider N.Watson strongly if available, but i dont rate him this high and this mock takes into accounts my thoughts. C.Edwards will be the one to supersede Stringer and could be that big midfielder Essendon have always wanted and can allow 2-3 years to develop it onball in the VFL unless he is too good otherwise. Massive Risk/Reward, these tall mids always are but he has some huge weapons (kicking, overhead marking/explosiveness/kicking penetration/ Mid/Fwd ability)

I assume a big question to him that i dont know yet is his aerobic ability?

PLAYS LIKE: C.Rayner/C.Zurhaar/Petracca
PICK 10 - C.Windsor
View attachment 1807241

WHY? I will admit i havnt seen heaps of him. Losing Seedsman and Sloane whos played a bit of wing. Brodie Smith, Milera getting on and Sholl not great. Windsor adds run, size and kicking ability. I think they may consider trading back and youd think some might come for N.Watson especially those top sides that need a small forward

PLAYS LIKE: Seedsman
PICK 11 - N.Watson

View attachment 1807244

WHY? Im saying Carlton rate him clearly and are trading F1 and Current 1st which could well likely be 16. He can kick 30 goals next year and blues really become a serious weapon. They have a few smalls but maybe none with his ability. Motlop, owies, Durdin types. They will be eyeing off a flag next year and may seem him as the missing piece

PLAYS LIKE: J.Gresham/Daniels
PICK 12 - O.Murphy

View attachment 1807246
WHY? They will snap up the best tall defender available left here. Mckay or not. O.Murphy will play as a 3rd tall for a fair while and take time to develop his body to become the 2nd behind a T.McCartin

PLAYS LIKE: J.Lever
--------------------------------------------------------------
PICK 13 - H.Demattia

View attachment 1807261
WHY? Saints still need classy midfielders and Demattia is imo best available here for a guy that can still run and kick. They would like his ability to start off half back with maybe the loss of Hunter Clark or Coffield

PLAYS LIKE: Zak Jones Left Footer

PICK 14 - J.Leake

View attachment 1807250
WHY? They got their KPD earlier in C.OSullivan. They need a midfielder here but not much available with Demattia gone, i think hed be their ideal target here. I think they take a ruck or consider best available. Leake is that man and his ability to kick straight could be seen as something very important. Similar to Fritsch but can play together and he will take some time to be playing 22 consistent games

PLAYS LIKE: Bailey Fritsch
PICK 15 - A.Reid

View attachment 1807187
WHY? Best KPF available. They will consider the 2 rucks in M.Edwards and W.Green but i think they need a more mature 2nd if Goldy leaves. They will snap him up very quickly here

PLAYS LIKE: Larkey
PICK 16 - K.Tholstrup
View attachment 1807223

WHY? Can be a future midfielder but that half forward ability will be strongly considered. Can have an immediate impact next year which will be strongly sort after a for a top 4 finishing side. Played all year against men, big body, has a tank and use is okay without being very good. Also i think his need to move and being a country boy will standout for the giants a bit here. Great character

PLAYS LIKE: Zurhaar
PICK 17 - W.Green/M.Edwards

View attachment 1807241
WHY?
A ruck to be ready in 3-4 years to replace ROB. They may grab Lycett for a year. They got their linebreaking outside mid with the ability to play half back if needed with Windsor. They may consider going again with a Hardeman or A.Roberts HBF/Wing type again.

PLAYS LIKE: I havnt seen much of Will Green/ Tim English

PICK 18 - R.Hardeman

View attachment 1807276
WHY? Losing Rich, Birchall and Answerth falling off plus with their F1 being sucked up by Ashcroft i think they i will look for a halfback/wing and someone who has experience against men. He has better 1v1 ability than a whitfield and is a predominant left footer. Mckenna, K.Coleman and Wilmott around but he may be seen as a winger early on with Fletcher/Berry more onball time next year if needed. I think they strongly strongly consider K.Sanchez aswell. More Redmans ability to play on someone if need be a bit deeper

PLAYS LIKE: L.Whitfield
PICK 19 - M.Edwards/W.Green
View attachment 1807282

WHY? They have pretty much everything but probably with an ageing Cox and DCAM they may need to consider their future rucks. Oscar Steene is still raw and not clear whether he will make it

PLAYS LIKE: Tim English
PICK 20 - K.Sanchez
View attachment 1807186

WHY? Think theyd love a Tholstrup here to replace Cripps as the workhorse half fwd and i think they keep to local with H.Reid. Sanchez may be a bit too similar to Long but im going that way. I rate him highly but he does have his injuries. Slightly smaller Butters, his kicking and decision making is excellent

PLAYS LIKE: Zak Butters

PICK 21 - A.Schoenmaker
View attachment 1807241

WHY?
Will consider trading out but i think with A.Schoenmaker there they will like him to replace those half backs i mentioned earlier like B.Smith/Milera and Hinge who could go wing again instead of a Sholl/Sloane types ect. Wing, Ruck and Half back with keeping a Future 1st aligned to Carlton. T.Jiath considered aswell id imagine. Im a big Wheaton fan but no one else seems to be and hed compliment their midfield and needs many years of development. G.Stevens maybe another considered here, they need to be careful with speed with Dawson in there for the next 5 years though. Schoenmaker is there first guy who doesnt have a Vic/WA home, covers their loses a bit. A.Roberts also strongly strongly considered

PLAYS LIKE: Greg Tivendale
PICK 21 - A.Roberts
View attachment 1807302

WHY?
Think they will keep to best available here but also strongly consider the full time move of Young onball and an A.Roberts or even Jiath would allow that. A.Roberts is ready to play next year and is also a left foot kicker opposite to Ryan and Clark on the other half backs

PLAYS LIKE: Liam Duggan
So the Suns and their Academy players are drifting in a void somewhere?

So the Suns and their Academy players are drifting in a void somewhere?
Avoiding most academy
Darcy Wilson plays like Brad Crouch? WOW!!!

Brad Crouch is inside as any midfielder in the AFL with footskills that have always been suspect. Wilson is the direct opposite.
Maybe not the absolute best comparison. It was done quickly, but not bad either

I also dont think crouch is as inside as it gets and this is more where i see Wilson ending up

Whats a better comparison?

Take your pick of the better pacey wing/outside mids in the AFL...
Darcy Wilson isnt exceptionally quick and will be even less so when he fills out

Hes an agile, smart footballer with neat kicking ability

May follow a similar path to Redden/Andy Brayshaw types

He will be drafted as a mid

Darcy Wilson isnt exceptionally quick and will be even less so when he fills out

Hes an agile, smart footballer with neat kicking ability

May follow a similar path to Redden/Andy Brayshaw types

He will be drafted as a mid
Darcy Wilson is very quick, a real metres gained footballer

You're free to have your opinion, I just disageee...and Brad Crouch is definitely a poor player style comparison whether you believe it or not.
Thats your opinion and i disagree

Have given my thoughts

There isnt a great comparison that i can think of, maybe Andy Brayshaw

Edit: Angus Brayshaws the one im after

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back