Toast 2023 Rising Star - Congratulations Harry Sheezel of The North Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheezel had a great year but the continual line of a record breaking year, although true statistically, is also somewhat misleading.

After all, the season had an extra round and he also collected some free disposals from kickouts which weren’t previously counted. So it’s not really record breaking if it’s a fair playing field.

Great year though and will be an excellent player going forward. Somewhat surprised Amiss wasn’t a bit closer though. Very very few key forwards can kick as many goals as him in their second year.
He broke that record with one round to go and didn’t take as many kick outs as everyone makes out to be, he also didn’t spend a whole season at half back.

Mid fielder that kicked 25 goals really self explanatory
You said it was hard not to get record breaking numbers for a first year player playing in a position they are unfamiliar with:

Hard not to get those numbers really.

Owens is a great player, don't get me wrong, but don't get salty about an award that an 18 year old won for a record breaking year. I'd love Owens in our side as well. He's a gun. But seriously some of what Sheezel did this year is crazy. Don't be fooled by high numbers off half back, watch the stupidly good handballs in congestion that open play up, or the three possessions in a scoring chain he initiated and drove all the way down field when no one else could get the ball out of our back 50, repeatedly, thru the year.

If we had a reasonable side (6-10 on the ladder) and a functioning back line then Sheezel would have played in his natural position (mid/forward,) kicked 30 and had as many goal assists. He's a freak.

You said it was hard not to get record breaking numbers for a first year player playing in a position they are unfamiliar with:

Owens is a great player, don't get me wrong, but don't get salty about an award that an 18 year old won for a record breaking year. I'd love Owens in our side as well. He's a gun. But seriously some of what Sheezel did this year is crazy. Don't be fooled by high numbers off half back, watch the stupidly good handballs in congestion that open play up, or the three possessions in a scoring chain he initiated and drove all the way down field when no one else could get the ball out of our back 50, repeatedly, thru the year.

If we had a reasonable side (6-10 on the ladder) and a functioning back line then Sheezel would have played in his natural position (mid/forward,) kicked 30 and had as many goal assists. He's a freak.

Meh and if Owens had King and Membrey playing he’d have kicked 50 plus.

Great post.
Hard to knock the kid when he’s been asked to play that position. He’s done absolutely everything asked of him exceptionally well. It’s a well deserved achievement and he was the absolute stand out in his class this year.

Just because he hasn’t played the contested mid game or what I think will be his most damaging position off half forward isn’t his fault, and should not be held against him. And his role in itself in this side was amazing, considering he’s playing his first year.
There would be some clubs gushing over a 5-6 year player producing these sorts of numbers, so to do it in year one is amazing.

I’m really hoping this year was just an educational one for him to help give him confidence to find and use the ball at the top level before going into the role he will be the most damaging ala Toby Greene. Clarko needs to move him forward of centre next year and build him up to aspire to be of Greene quality. Wouldn’t want to waste him for his career in the role he’s replaced Aaron Hall this year.

I can see him kicking 30-40 goals next year if he’s moved forward and that will be more impactful for the team and his contribution to its success moving forward than playing off half back.

Great post.
Hard to knock the kid when he’s been asked to play that position. He’s done absolutely everything asked of him exceptionally well. It’s a well deserved achievement and he was the absolute stand out in his class this year.

Just because he hasn’t played the contested mid game or what I think will be his most damaging position off half forward isn’t his fault, and should not be held against him. And his role in itself in this side was amazing, considering he’s playing his first year.
There would be some clubs gushing over a 5-6 year player producing these sorts of numbers, so to do it in year one is amazing.

I’m really hoping this year was just an educational one for him to help give him confidence to find and use the ball at the top level before going into the role he will be the most damaging ala Toby Greene. Clarko needs to move him forward of centre next year and build him up to aspire to be of Greene quality. Wouldn’t want to waste him for his career in the role he’s replaced Aaron Hall this year.

I can see him kicking 30-40 goals next year if he’s moved forward and that will be more impactful for the team and his contribution to its success moving forward than playing off half back.
I think he stays in the backline for a while. It's easily our weakest line and Clarkson has said he'll play where he's needed. In saying that fully agree that his best footy lies forward of centre.

I think he stays in the backline for a while. It's easily our weakest line and Clarkson has said he'll play where he's needed. In saying that fully agree that his best footy lies forward of centre.
Hopefully your interest in acquiring Zac Fisher means Harry is released to his most damaging position on field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to the young fella for a terrific year. He must be odds on to win the North B&F.

All in all, not much competition about for Harry, once Ashcroft suffered his terrible injury.

Harry seems rusted on to NMFC and that is vital to culture of a vulnerable Club. Like Zorko, Miller and Greene he may end up slowing the rate of talent drain such as Tarrant, JHF and possibly Thomas and McKay. His off field role could end up being as important as his on field performances.

Harry Sheezel would kick 30 and 30 GAs = Hard not to get those numbers really.

:rolleyes:

And the truly amazing thing is 10 games into his career he was being used as the Mr Fixit and moved around the ground to plug gaps or be the guy to turn around the game.

This actually hurt his stats because he wasnt playing his usual game.

He is a freak.

Second best Jewish messiah since Jesus.
I reckon Sheezel's got Jesus covered. Have you ever seen Jesus do a clean pick-up then do a 180 in a contest before delivering a 30 metre perfectly weighted kick to one of his team mates? Yeah. Didn't think so.

I reckon Sheezel's got Jesus covered. Have you ever seen Jesus do a clean pick-up then do a 180 in a contest before delivering a 30 metre perfectly weighted kick to one of his team mates? Yeah. Didn't think so.
Mordy Bromberg has them both covered 👍

Harry seems rusted on to NMFC and that is vital to culture of a vulnerable Club. Like Zorko, Miller and Greene he may end up slowing the rate of talent drain such as Tarrant, JHF and possibly Thomas and McKay. His off field role could end up being as important as his on field performances.

Lol sad.

Jesus was kicking 80m torps in sandals and a possum skin. They called him the Bethleham Bullet for a reason.

The kids of today could never.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back