Toast 2023 Rising Star - Congratulations Harry Sheezel of The North Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Amiss finishes with 41 goals in his 2nd year. Massive achievement getting the best defender most weeks. Goals are harder to come by than ever, worth 50-60 going back 10-20 years. Even more for a Freo forward considering how many times our players have kicked that many.

Goals have been a lot easier to come by this year compared to recent years for forwards. I think it would have been quite a while since we have had 3 players kick 70+ in a season. Amiss has been very good, but Curnow will go close to doubling him in tally after tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ford was very impressive today and has put in a good body of work as well.

Goater played his best game for the club as well.

Looking forward to seeing what Wardlaw can produce next year. He will be hard to beat if he stays fit.

Amiss finishes with 41 goals in his 2nd year. Massive achievement getting the best defender most weeks. Goals are harder to come by than ever, worth 50-60 going back 10-20 years. Even more for a Freo forward considering how many times our players have kicked that many.
Just want to comment on the goals being harder thing. This season we've had 3 forwards (4 if Toby kicks 7 tomorrow) average over 3 goals per game. Since 2010 (couldn't be bothered going back any further) there's only been 2 seasons with more players averaging 3+ a game (2010 had 5 and 2016 had 4 players). A few seasons have also had 3 players average over 3 per game.

This is all with a minimum of 10 games.

Goals have been a lot easier to come by this year compared to recent years for forwards. I think it would have been quite a while since we have had 3 players kick 70+ in a season. Amiss has been very good, but Curnow will go close to doubling him in tally after tomorrow.

The best forward in the comp is better than a 2nd year kid, really?

There was an extra game this year too remember.

Just want to comment on the goals being harder thing. This season we've had 3 forwards (4 if Toby kicks 7 tomorrow) average over 3 goals per game. Since 2010 (couldn't be bothered going back any further) there's only been 2 seasons with more players averaging 3+ a game (2010 had 5 and 2016 had 4 players). A few seasons have also had 3 players average over 3 per game.

This is all with a minimum of 10 games.
Picking out the top end as a comparison is flawed. WC & North are two of the historical worst teams to go around at the same time. They have distorted the top end leaderboard in terms of goals. Charlie & Tex got at least 18 goals a piece vs WC.

Picking out the top end as a comparison is flawed. WC & North are two of the historical worst teams to go around at the same time. They have distorted the top end leaderboard in terms of goals. Charlie & Tex got at least 18 goals a piece vs WC.
There have also been rules brought in to make ball movement easier and to increase damage from centre bounce clearances. 2011-2014 were the expansion years and/or Melbourne were still historically bad.

The best forward in the comp is better than a 2nd year kid, really?

There was an extra game this year too remember.

The better forwards haven’t just been better, they have had twice the output. Other than goal scoring, Amiss really hasn’t done much else to contribute. He has had a great year for a second year key forward, but not award worthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The better forwards haven’t just been better, they have had twice the output. Other than goal scoring, Amiss really hasn’t done much else to contribute. He has had a great year for a second year key forward, but not award worthy.

Not twice the goals. A lot of players have triple the output of Sheezel, Clearances, tackles, contested possessions.

I never said he was going to win it, just that it has been an amazing effort.

Amiss also got to play WC twice…
He will his whole career. They might need to consider that when they look at his final goal tally.

Not twice the goals. A lot of players have triple the output of Sheezel, Clearances, tackles, contested possessions.

I never said he was going to win it, just that it has been an amazing effort.

He will his whole career. They might need to consider that when they look at his final goal tally.
Not sure anyone but Freo fans will be reflecting on a career with less goals than Jack Darling

Pretty sure only Jesse Hogan with iirc, 45 goals had more in there rising star winning season

Fair effort by Amiss

I know this will go to a midfielder but it really should go to Amiss.

Both Sheezel and Ashcroft have been at best copping the second best player on the line (LDU is Norths best mid and that dirty traitor Neale is Brisvegas's best) whereas Amiss has copped the best kpd all season.

To kick 41 in his 2nd year is a top top top effort.

Not fussed about amiss winning it
For oppo fans 41 goals may not seem impressive.
But as a freo fan over the moon.
First freo kf to kick 40+ since pav
10 yrs ago
In that time we’ve had guys winning the goal kicking award at freo with
25,22,29 goals
Amiss season is massive comparative to our club.
Like larkey kicking 70+ at Roos first since Carey
Big achievement

Last edited:
7x35b5.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back