Autopsy 2023 Round 7 – Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Saturday, April 29, 2.10PM AEST, SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it? The Swans wear their full red strip most weeks. Our current home jumper has been matched with white shorts before from memory and looked alright if that was indeed a requirement.
No, I don't think the Swans do wear all red away. See the excerpt from Wikipedia (obviously limitations on that source). Nothing pops when I search for the AFL policy - someone else might be able to find it (dlanod maybe, he's always full bottle on the rules) - but a quick google search of about half the clubs shows all of them have white shorts with their away jersey.

As I said, I'm not 100% sure, but recall past commentary around that. Clubs might be able to ask for dispensation, but AFL can be painful in that regards.

Swans jersey.png

Swan's and suns are the only 2 teams not required to wear white shorts.
Interesting, thanks.

I have memories of seeing them play in white shorts, but unsure how long ago that might have been. Looking for photos, most of them are in red shorts, but an occasional one pops up in white, so perhaps a previous requirement that got rescinded.

Swans.PNG

No, I don't think the Swans do wear all red away. See the excerpt from Wikipedia (obviously limitations on that source). Nothing pops when I search for the AFL policy - someone else might be able to find it (@dlanod maybe, he's always full bottle on the rules) - but a quick google search of about half the clubs shows all of them have white shorts with their away jersey.
From what I can see the AFL doesn't really have a written policy on clash guernseys, which emphasizes the "make it up as you go along" angle I guess with the "deals" and "case by case" basises.

How the coaches saw the performances:

Sydney v Greater Western Sydney​

10 Toby Greene (GWS)
8 Luke Parker (SYD)
5 Peter Ladhams (SYD)
4 Harry Perryman (GWS)
2 Jack Buckley (GWS)
1 Stephen Coniglio (GWS)

Here are some thoughts from SEN on performances in the game in their regular segment Overreactions, positives, negatives & undroppables for all 18 AFL teams in Round 7

What are fans' thoughts, especially in relation to the Cadman & Angwin comments?

The Key Takeaway: The Giants will never surrender

Adam Kingsley has very quickly turned the Giants into a highly competitive side. Nine months removed from their 73-point drubbing at the hands of the same venue and same opponent, it was GWS who took it up to their cross-town rivals. Despite giving up the lead early in the third quarter and trailing by as much as 24 points in the last, GWS never threw in the towel and continued to plug away at the Swans’ makeshift backline. Their one-point win was just reward for the effort they have put in over the last month.

The positive: Toby Greene will be remembered as the Giants’ best

Remarkably, Greene won his first Brett Kirk medal after a match-winning display at the SCG on Saturday despite often being the thorn in the Swans’ side. Not only did Greene boot four goals but he set up two others and racked up 22 touches. It was one of the most inspirational performances from a GWS captain in their brief history. He is quickly approaching 200 career games and one could make the argument that he is the best player to represent the orange and charcoal.

What no one is talking about: Aaron Cadman’s reaction to being subbed

The no.1 draft pick largely struggled to find the ball in his first Sydney derby and was subsequently subbed off in the fourth quarter. The 19-year-old looked visibly upset and disappointed at the decision and was seen shaking his head in frustration at being replaced by midfielder Harry Rowston. Commentators noted Cadman’s poor body language at the decision and after collecting just four touches for the afternoon, his spot may be in question for next week’s clash against the Western Bulldogs.

The undroppable: Ryan Angwin

In just his third match in the AFL, Ryan Angwin put in a respectable performance on the wing for the Giants. The 20-year-old had 10 disposals, three marks, three clearances, two tackles and a goal assist. Angwin even held his own against his direct opponent in Chad Warner for large periods of the contest. Easily the best game of his short career.

While it's true that Cadman reacted that way, I'd take it as a sign of desire that he didn't want to come off, but wanted to stay out there and impact the match. In the end, a good call from AK, but let's not shaft the kid in his third game.

Interesting write-up for Angwin. I thought he did a couple of really good things, but 10 disposals probably just wasn't enough IMHO. So, a different opinion here gives me cause to re-think: was I overly harsh on the kid? What do others think?

Adam Kingsley has very quickly turned the Giants into a highly competitive side. Nine months removed from their 73-point drubbing at the hands of the same venue and same opponent, it was GWS who took it up to their cross-town rivals. Despite giving up the lead early in the third quarter and trailing by as much as 24 points in the last, GWS never threw in the towel and continued to plug away at the Swans’ makeshift backline. Their one-point win was just reward for the effort they have put in over the last month.

Remarkably, Greene won his first Brett Kirk medal after a match-winning display at the SCG on Saturday despite often being the thorn in the Swans’ side. Not only did Greene boot four goals but he set up two others and racked up 22 touches. It was one of the most inspirational performances from a GWS captain in their brief history. He is quickly approaching 200 career games and one could make the argument that he is the best player to represent the orange and charcoal.

The no.1 draft pick largely struggled to find the ball in his first Sydney derby and was subsequently subbed off in the fourth quarter. The 19-year-old looked visibly upset and disappointed at the decision and was seen shaking his head in frustration at being replaced by midfielder Harry Rowston. Commentators noted Cadman’s poor body language at the decision and after collecting just four touches for the afternoon, his spot may be in question for next week’s clash against the Western Bulldogs.

While it's true that Cadman reacted that way, I'd take it as a sign of desire that he didn't want to come off, but wanted to stay out there and impact the match. In the end, a good call from AK, but let's not shaft the kid in his third game.
agree with SEN about Kingsley’s influence and us living our “never surrender” motto. Also think Toby is our GOAT.

However, disagree with their take in Cadman. I took it as a positive and showed that he had the desire and passion to stay and win

In just his third match in the AFL, Ryan Angwin put in a respectable performance on the wing for the Giants. The 20-year-old had 10 disposals, three marks, three clearances, two tackles and a goal assist. Angwin even held his own against his direct opponent in Chad Warner for large periods of the contest. Easily the best game of his short career.

Interesting write-up for Angwin. I thought he did a couple of really good things, but 10 disposals probably just wasn't enough IMHO. So, a different opinion here gives me cause to re-think: was I overly harsh on the kid? What do others think?
If Angwin is seen as a long-term prospect, then they will continue to put games into him.
His debut was very unfortunate in that he had a couple of nervous possessions then got a season ending injury.

If Angwin is seen as a long-term prospect, then they will continue to put games into him.
His debut was very unfortunate in that he had a couple of nervous possessions then got a season ending injury.
I hope they persist with him. On par with Wehr’s output but more scope. His pace could be a real weapon and has the endurance to run up and down the wing all day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here are some thoughts from SEN on performances in the game in their regular segment Overreactions, positives, negatives & undroppables for all 18 AFL teams in Round 7

What are fans' thoughts, especially in relation to the Cadman & Angwin comments?

I agree with the comments about Cadman and I thought Angwin was pretty good. He runs hard all day had some good moments. I think he has done enough to keep his spot

Can't believe the reaction from Cadman is a story, he's a professional athlete of course he's upset he got subbed out! They're at the level because they all think they can play at the highest level and offer something to help the team, he wants to play and he didn't get to play. For all we know the head shaking might've just been him reflecting his own annoyance with his performance not with the coaching staff, even if he was annoyed at the staff I think that's totally understandable, it wasn't over the top, he didn't have a crack at anyone, don't see an issue.

6. Toby Greene wasn’t the Giants’ only Derby hero​

Naturally, Toby Greene won all the plaudits after GWS’ magnificent come-from-behind win over Sydney in the Battle of the Bridge. Rightly so, too – few players in the competition would be able to execute such a perfect snap under intense pressure, both scoreboard and actual, for the game-winner.

But there were stars everywhere for the Giants, in the surest sign yet that the future is bright. And few shone brighter than Finn Callaghan, who picked the perfect time for a breakout game.

With 15 first-half disposals, the 20-year old was everywhere as the Giants took the fight right up to the more fancied Swans. Playing the wing role to perfection on the smaller confines of the SCG, his work rate was immense especially for one so inexperienced, frequently serving as the link man between defence and attack in the manner of the ‘orange tsunami’ of old.

An elite wingman as a junior, there is so much about Callaghan, even his neat left foot, that brings to mind Josh Kelly four or five years ago. With the Giants well stocked for on-ballers, they’ve needed a silky outside user since Lachie Whitfield decided he no longer wanted to be elite, and they’ve found the answer.

Even more impressive was his desperation and composure in the final minute with the Giants hanging on: Callaghan first launched himself to smother a Callum Mills kick and prevent a deep entry, then followed up to win the ball again and, under heavy duress, fire out a handball to a free Nick Haynes. It was a double play worth its weight in gold.

Rewatching the game and there is a sequence in the first at about the 10minute mark where Bedford takes a mark at half back (top of screen) takes his kick and we take the ball inside 50. What I liked about the play was that as soon as he kicked it he took off and you can see him sprint past a heap of swans players to get into the forward 50when the ball arrived. Unrewarded running this time but will get rewards in future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back