Autopsy 2023 Round 7 – Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Saturday, April 29, 2.10PM AEST, SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers at Giants stadium in 2017 I reckon
Missed that one too, left at 3/4 time thanks to a child meltdown. Missed the second half of the Pies game the week before too because I had to rush home to pick up the other child to take to the hospital. The team has a great record when I can't finish a game!

If you’re feeling a bit flat this week pop over to the swans board for smile 😃

Also, people sometimes talk Papley up as being on the same level as Toby. Tonight was a perfect example of the difference. Papley a front runner who looks to get out the back frequently. Toby competes hard on every single play, and steps up when the team needs him.

So, thoughts on that game:
  • midfield fought hard, and our optimal selection of Green-Coniglio-Kelly-Perryman eventually wore the Sydney mids down
  • we took a bath in centre clearances, which we need to work on, but held our own in stoppages around the ground
  • Perryman is such an asset, while not quick he is tenacious and also distributes the ball accurately, as well as being able to kick goals
  • that was Callaghan's best match: game-high for effective disposals & marks, he will be such an asset for us on the wing
  • we actually seemed to have the better running game of the two teams, but still our own worst enemy in handing the ball over
  • Angwin showed flashes of brilliance, but needs to improve his disposal (50% for the game) - I'm hopeful but not yet convinced
  • Buckley was solid (but he's not Sam Taylor in 1-on-1 situations :()
  • Idun and Brown were solid, Haynes intercepted well, but we're one KPD short for teams with a taller forward line: that's a worry
  • Ash had a mixed game (again) - his best was great (2nd most metres gained, great counterattack) but still some dumb decisions
  • Whitfield was a mixed bag too - 83% DE but definitely screwed some kicks, and has clearly lost confidence in his kicking
  • Bedford provided some spark, kicked a goal, made some errors - he'll be better for the run and provide another option up front
  • XOH another little goal-kicking cameo, and solid second-string midfield
  • not a day for our tall forwards, but still got 2 & 1 goals from, Hogan & Cadman
  • Toby was his mercurial, brilliant best - just lifted up the team in that 4th quarter and dragged them on his back across the line

If you’re feeling a bit flat this week pop over to the swans board for smile 😃

Also, people sometimes talk Papley up as being on the same level as Toby. Tonight was a perfect example of the difference. Papley a front runner who looks to get out the back frequently. Toby competes hard on every single play, and steps up when the team needs him.
Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

SO SO GOOD, these games where we're down by multiple goals at 3QT are just never games I felt like we could win towards the end under Leon and now we've already picked up 2 this year. Think this can do really good things for the belief in the game plan and the confidence they can take with them moving forward.
  • Toby's so incredible, glad he was getting a few midfield spurts even with a fully available midfield I think that's the best way to use him, forces the defence to hand over and communicate when a dangerous player like him moves forward from the middle. There just aren't many players in the entire competition you'd take over him.
  • Cogs was his usual great, most contested possessions, clearances and metres gained for the team with a couple of goals. Superstar.
  • Buckley is being asked to do more than he's probably capable of but he competes like hell and doesn't get beaten badly too often, rock solid
  • Definitely a step down from what we saw Angwin deliever last week, some nice moments but wasn't that impactful on things
  • Finn was great, a couple mentioned that was his best game and I think they'd be right especially in the first half really seemed like they were making an effort to get it in his hands and he worked really well to earn the ball in D50 and in the forward half of the ground, used it really damagingly just constantly getting the ball into dangerous positions for us
  • Cadman quiet again might think about giving him a spell in the 2s if he has another one like this again, that would be three in a row and I'm not sure there's much value in feeding him to the wolves every week to only get a handful of touches
  • Not sure about anyone else but been impressed with Flynn this year, don't think he's had an elite ruck to match up against so far this year but he looks improved. Happy with how he's come along.
  • Brown was really good! I had my doubts about whether he was going to make an impact but he played really well, 8 intercept possessions, and didn't put the ball into much danger as a distributor which is the main thing. Good cameo appearance from him got a bit more confidence in him now that I've seen him do it
  • XO has been great the last couple of weeks as a half forward, whether this is just a weird hot streak that we're going to look back on and think "Remember when XO kicked all those goals in a 3-week span", but he looks good, was third on the team in pressure acts, kicked 2 goals can't ask for too much more from him. Hope for his sake this gets him a new contract either with us or someone else because he has a crack every week and seems like a really well-liked member of the group
  • Perryman played great as well, swinging him forward late to facilitate Rowston in the middle worked really well. 21 & 3 for him, kicked 2 when we needed them most late had 9 tackles. A really good innings from him.
  • Wonder if there's an issue with Rowston's tank, not surprising for a first-year player and someone that wasn't noted as a high-end runner but as a sub he seems to be able to make an impact and seems to start games well. When he got his chance he played well though, he seems to do a good job of finding space in the corridor to be an option for teammates which is really valuable

Kinsley talked about it after the game but that's probably not a sustainable way to win games, aside from being down multiple goals at 3QT but being beaten quite easily in cont poss., clearances, inside 50s, first possessions and ground ball gets is not a great sign but for this week we'll escape with a win. Although we did get beaten around the contest we did lay 78 tackles which is a fantastic number, shows there's still a hunt for the ball even if they were getting beaten to it first quite regularly. Dogs next week should be fine, they've looked really weird this year and are definitely beatable, especially at Manuka we should be every chance.

I see it but I don't believe it. Pretty incredible to get the win with all the stats proving the Swans should win and credit to the team for getting up and 'Never surrender was true. Like the Hawks game although the difference to me is the Hawks lost that game some may say HH won the game but for me this was more a Giants team win and it shows why Toby is Captain
I didnt think the mids had the best game inside and losing contested possessions by show much which has been the trend all season it is close to full strength so not sure where the improvement can come from. I think Flynn is hanging on as quite often this season opposition rucks have had a field day matching up on him and not necessarily in hit outs but around the ground and for Ladhams to have close to his best game says something although he was exposed (I think) by HH in the lead up to Toby's match winner
Is Cumming playing a more lock down role with Ash and Whitfields more the running, kicking half backs? He does need to improve his lockdown and it is also on the mids to drop back and help where needed as the defenders are getting exposed too often. Also Haynes has lost some speed so that will contribute to that issue
Brown had another good game when called in and it will be different next week but he should keep his place and I thought it might have been a debut for Fleeton but Brown must be the 8th defender (Next in line) as his speed and size makes him versatile
They still definitely need to work on moving the ball out of the D50 as it was still an issue and movement forward of the ball is really lacking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about anyone else but been impressed with Flynn this year, don't think he's had an elite ruck to match up against so far this year but he looks improved. Happy with how he's come along.
He got thrashed earlier in the season but the last few games I can at least say he hasn't been embarrassed which is ok for a second choice ruck.

Excellent summaries of the game, so no need for me to add.

But there's one topic that needs greater attention IMHO.

New Coach
New Direction
NEW UNIFORM!!!!

I think the kit worn for this game is an absolute cracker and should be our official jersey.

Last edited:
I see it but I don't believe it. Pretty incredible to get the win with all the stats proving the Swans should win and credit to the team for getting up and 'Never surrender was true. Like the Hawks game although the difference to me is the Hawks lost that game some may say HH won the game but for me this was more a Giants team win and it shows why Toby is Captain
I didnt think the mids had the best game inside and losing contested possessions by show much which has been the trend all season it is close to full strength so not sure where the improvement can come from. I think Flynn is hanging on as quite often this season opposition rucks have had a field day matching up on him and not necessarily in hit outs but around the ground and for Ladhams to have close to his best game says something although he was exposed (I think) by HH in the lead up to Toby's match winner
Is Cumming playing a more lock down role with Ash and Whitfields more the running, kicking half backs? He does need to improve his lockdown and it is also on the mids to drop back and help where needed as the defenders are getting exposed too often. Also Haynes has lost some speed so that will contribute to that issue
Brown had another good game when called in and it will be different next week but he should keep his place and I thought it might have been a debut for Fleeton but Brown must be the 8th defender (Next in line) as his speed and size makes him versatile
They still definitely need to work on moving the ball out of the D50 as it was still an issue and movement forward of the ball is really lacking
The mids losing the contest is a concern. It’s not like the swans midfield is full of stars like Brisbane or the dogs

They got a touch up

New Coach
New Direction
NEW UNIFORM!!!!

I think the kit worn for this game is an absolute cracker and should be our official jersey.

It looks tough which suits western sydney and creates a greater point of difference from the swans.

If they don't wanna get rid of the current home jumper, simply make that one the away and then make the never surrender the home.

Still amazed by what happened yesterday.

I only hope Toby Greene has at least one premiership medallion when he finally calls time.

Thanks for posting this General Giant.

I don't know whether it's just my inherent dislike of the majority of modern AFL commentary.

Is it the calling games off a monitor and not being able to fully appreciate the atmosphere at the ground?

But I find every single call in this montage flat for the occasion.

Perhaps it's the support of the Giants clouding my opinion.

It looks tough which suits western sydney and creates a greater point of difference from the swans.

If they don't wanna get rid of the current home jumper, simply make that one the away and then make the never surrender the home.
You might be on to something there. The current orange away jersey and white shorts combo is pretty hideous.

I think the white shorts is an AFL requirement, though, isn't it?
Is it? The Swans wear their full red strip most weeks. Our current home jumper has been matched with white shorts before from memory and looked alright if that was indeed a requirement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back