News 2023 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was an absolute pleasure and pinch-myself-moment for all three of us, as we got to sit down and chat saints footy with actor, comedian, and St Kilda number-one ticket holder, Eric Bana.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ripper interview boys
Do you do pr0n :tearsofjoy:

1-1 I think he panics a bit and starts watching his man who then often gives him the slip
If only Butler had Howards body we could probably hide him forward to luck a catch or dribble a goal whilst that defender then becomes a terrier. Alas and woe, Butlers in a kid body and Howard has Kosi's awareness and a penchant to s**t himself and blame others that he's wallowing in it.

1-1 I think he panics a bit and starts watching his man who then often gives him the slip
Actually watching full backs or the last line defender from this era compared to 50+ years ago is like chalk & cheese, these days a lot of them either give the forward too much room to move, or are facing them instead of watching play.
When playing in the backline back in my day, I was told to keep my elbow on the forwards gut even if the ball was the other end of the ground, used to annoy the truck out of them, didn’t always beat them playing footy, but didn’t lose many of the blues they started. Time for these guys to harden the **** up.

So easily lost in traffic that he’s a good as useless, also have you ever seen a guy loose his feet more just changing direction.

He's not a stylish player but he's good enough. Even Wilkie looks s**t when the players further up the field leave them exposed. Late last year the same thing happened when our midfield depth thinned out. We have one mid still playing to full capacity in Crouch and our wings which were a strength early look just okay ATM. Wood never quite recovered from his injury and Hill is up and down as is Byrnes.

I'm his biggest critic but he's our best worst option and no a liability like some suggest. He was in our bests quite regularly under Ratts, he's one of the players struggling under Lyon.

Actually watching full backs or the last line defender from this era compared to 50+ years ago is like chalk & cheese, these days a lot of them either give the forward too much room to move, or are facing them instead of watching play.
When playing in the backline back in my day, I was told to keep my elbow on the forwards gut even if the ball was the other end of the ground, used to annoy the truck out of them, didn’t always beat them playing footy, but didn’t lose many of the blues they started. Time for these guys to harden the **** up.

I figured their main job was to stand between the ball drop and the forward, so that the intercept marking defender could get it.

It's a pity Spud Frawley isn't around to give our defenders some tips, he was a great old fashioned full back that would wear his opponent like a glove.

It's a pity Spud Frawley isn't around to give our defenders some tips, he was a great old fashioned full back that would wear his opponent like a glove.

There is much less one on one defending these days and even while you are defending your man you are keeping a hole filled in the zone. It's much more complex than in the old days. He could probably have improved part of his game but until we stop the ball coming in as quickly and as cleanly we will be exposing our backs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is much less one on one defending these days and even while you are defending your man you are keeping a hole filled in the zone. It's much more complex than in the old days. He could probably have improved part of his game but until we stop the ball coming in as quickly and as cleanly we will be exposing our backs.

That's true and some of the tactics Frawley and other full backs of his era used back then wouldn't be allowed now. Spud was an expert at making his opponents earn it by giving them a whack in the head when they attempted to take a mark against him which was an accepted part of the game then.

Last edited:
If only Butler had Howards body we could probably hide him forward to luck a catch or dribble a goal whilst that defender then becomes a terrier. Alas and woe, Butlers in a kid body and Howard has Kosi's awareness and a penchant to s**t himself and blame others that he's wallowing in it.
After taking inspiration from the Bounce’s Golden Fist award, and perhaps some old Val Kilmer movie, Howard has decided to employ some technology to assist in handling his one on ones.

Currently testing it…

IQpJ5TK.jpg

He's not a stylish player but he's good enough. Even Wilkie looks s**t when the players further up the field leave them exposed. Late last year the same thing happened when our midfield depth thinned out. We have one mid still playing to full capacity in Crouch and our wings which were a strength early look just okay ATM. Wood never quite recovered from his injury and Hill is up and down as is Byrnes.

I'm his biggest critic but he's our best worst option and no a liability like some suggest. He was in our bests quite regularly under Ratts, he's one of the players struggling under Lyon.
He’s very good third man up and has some dash but frankly you just can’t trust him with key roles. I have periods where there’s not as much pressure on the defence and he has a good game where I start to think I’ve been harsh but I always end up disappointed. I‘d love to have one of the young defenders come on so we could play him as a tall utility.

You lot must have watched a different game to me. I haven't watched the replay but said to a friend near the end, well at least you can't blame Doogs for this. AFAIAC if he wasn't so good in defence on the weekend we would have lost be 6 goals.

I think he is only a GoP but seems as though people have a vendetta against Howard. The mids left him and the defence exposed time and time again, there was no pressure on the ball coming in and it was coming in fast. This constant scapegoating one player when he was let down by just about every player ahead of him is a bit tiresome. Thought Battle was much more of a culprit on the weekend, but hey he is a pet on here.

You lot must have watched a different game to me. I haven't watched the replay but said to a friend near the end, well at least you can't blame Doogs for this. AFAIAC if he wasn't so good in defence on the weekend we would have lost be 6 goals.

I think he is only a GoP but seems as though people have a vendetta against Howard. The mids left him and the defence exposed time and time again, there was no pressure on the ball coming in and it was coming in fast. This constant scapegoating one player when he was let down by just about every player ahead of him is a bit tiresome. Thought Battle was much more of a culprit on the weekend, but hey he is a pet on here.

I have a vendetta against him but honestly can't remember him good or bad because he had so many teammates going at 20% along side him. To me the defence looked very exposed from the midfield getting manhandled.

Oh well. Let's give up and start tanking. FFS we have lost a game against a s**t side, that used to be our specialty. Might as well wait until it's actually a problem this time.

You campaigners need to get your own bit, I invented negative doom posting, you're all premature ejaculators, give it a few more weeks until the wheels fall off properly, then go hard.
"You're all premature ejaculators." 🤣
Perfect little retort for the dipshits I'm forced to endure at work.
I thank you, sir. Bravo.

I have a vendetta against him but honestly can't remember him good or bad because he had so many teammates going at 20% along side him. To me the defence looked very exposed from the midfield getting manhandled.
Fair enough, I think he is an easy whipping boy because he is not that great a player. I am comfortable when the ball is in his hand as he will always hit a target, he is pretty good at spoiling, but gets exposed one on one. Thought he held us together in the first half, and defended very well, then the chest marks started, the mids were so beaten that the ball was rocketing into the defensive 50 that I though I was watching Dunstall again taking chesty after chesty.

The whole defence was under pressure, Battle looked ordinary, Wilkie not his usual cool self, Stocker a bit overwhelmed, I directly attribute it to
1)Ross, Steele and Marshall getting pantsed
2) Clark going off meaning our already beaten midfield was even further undermanned
3) Selecting Sharman as the sub when we were alreay a utility down in Owens, and Windhager the natural replacement even if only the sub.

Howard was the least of our problems, but the last page has been on how hopeless he was when in my eyes he was good considering the lack of support his teammates up field gave him.

That's true and some of the tactics Frawley and other full backs of his era used back then wouldn't be allowed now. Spud was an expert at making his opponents earn it by giving them a whack in the head when they attempted to take a mark against him which was an accepted part of the game then.

Steven Baker should have a degree in this sort of defense . He's probably available if you want to drill the guys.

I liked his story about how he accidently bumped a certain spot on his elbow, and it hurt like s**t, so he thought..hmmmmm and next time he played he kept tapping tapping tapping at that spot on his opponent. He said the guy was almost crying.

The trick ...grasshopper, is to take your opponents mind of the game and make him focus on you.
So even though Stevie J gave as good as he got it was still a win to Baker.

Sitting not too far from the fence last week the defence was terrible but that was a factor of the air swing tackles starting in the forward line then in the middle. Ball was flying in. Defence wasn't great but not sure that 'great' was a realistic chance. They all had some terrible moments but in a game where we had probably 2 blokes that could say they went ok that's not surprising.

Howard at this stage is fine if finishing 6 to 16. If we miracle a better midfield that pushes us to top 4 then I don't think he's our key defender to take us to the last 2. That's not last week, it's the body of work over seasons. I'd love him to be it but I don't see it. Could not be happier if I get proven to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back