News 2023 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A much-maligned player who has carried the weight of the world on his shoulders since his debut - Jack Billings is set for a very important season, but have we forgotten about him?

I dive into JB's career to date and what it might look like moving forward into this season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

God Dwayne is a useless interviewer
He is the absolute worst. Haven’t heard this one yet but I’m assuming it went something like:

Question 1: “so you’re back coaching again”.

Question 2: “so Ross is back as well”

How does he get his own show.

Just thought I'd open up a discussion around Hunter Clark sainters! Very intriguired by him and hoping we can see the best of him this year.

My thoughts on Clark is he is worth persisting with if he is on about 300k .
There is not much else out there for that coin that have any more potential than he does there is not that many players that can walk through storages like he does

My thoughts on Clark is he is worth persisting with if he is on about 300k .
There is not much else out there for that coin that have any more potential than he does there is not that many players that can walk through storages like he does

Jesus, we've dropped poor old Hunter quickly. I'm hoping he has a huge year and that he makes the club look stupid for offering up a trade.

A much-maligned player who has carried the weight of the world on his shoulders since his debut - Jack Billings is set for a very important season, but have we forgotten about him?

I dive into JB's career to date and what it might look like moving forward into this season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

JB is still an important player, providing he’s used the right way.
He’s a genuine goal kicker, also has above average field kicking skill, something that’s a bit thin on the ground at our club.
He’s back in full training now so let’s hope he and Hunter Clark both get a good run at it this year!

Probably Stocker?

421c26b6b44de70df61b14ed224535d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching Billings 2017 highlights. The main difference I see from the years up until now is he looks comfortable whilst playing. My mental imprint of him is always looking flustered and not in a flow state.

One clip in those highlights he is running at the ball, as he gets the ball Burgoyne initiates contact. He absorbs it, Burgoyne falls over and he hits the next player with the kick. I am not sure if it was the same year but the same thing happened in a contest with Mcveigh whilst playing up in Sydney.

He was so dangerous on the hff position. Hopefully with the current coaches around him. His mindset will shift and he will go back to playing in the moment. His ability to pull off high risk high reward kicks is really impressive. Also being able to kick a goal from the arch off a couple of steps is a dangerous weapon.

He’s a genuine goal kicker, also has above average field kicking skill, something that’s a bit thin on the ground at our club.
He’s back in full training now so let’s hope he and Hunter Clark both get a good run at it this year!
I honestly think he mentally slipped off the back of the wave a few years ago and probably won't be able get back on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Billings 2017 highlights. The main difference I see from the years up until now is he looks comfortable whilst playing. My mental imprint of him is always looking flustered and not in a flow state.

One clip in those highlights he is running at the ball, as he gets the ball Burgoyne initiates contact. He absorbs it, Burgoyne falls over and he hits the next player with the kick. I am not sure if it was the same year but the same thing happened in a contest with Mcveigh whilst playing up in Sydney.

He was so dangerous on the hff position. Hopefully with the current coaches around him. His mindset will shift and he will go back to playing in the moment. His ability to pull off high risk high reward kicks is really impressive. Also being able to kick a goal from the arch off a couple of steps is a dangerous weapon.
Yep exactly. He needs to be our version of Isaac Heeney.

I honestly think he mentally slipped off the back of the wave a few years ago and probably won't be able get back on.

JB was in career best form in 2020… then his confidence dropped away & he never really got going again (there was a rumour that he found hub life really difficult & that had a clear effect on his footy.)

Since then he hasn’t had a clear run at it.

He’ll definitely be one of the many that will be fascinating to watch under Rossco The Sequel.

The bloke has more untapped talent in his little finger that most of the list.

I have been one of the worst when it comes to dropping Billings when things went against him. I was watching a game with my mate who follows Richmond and he was saying how classy and clean JB is and I was smirking. I started to try to point out to him how s**t he was and Jack just kept looking classy and clean instead of doing the right thing and being s**t. It showed me how biased I have become towards him over the last few years.

He's a guy who at the right club really could have been anything. He reminds me of those Hawks golden era guys like Bruest, Shiels and Issac Smith who seemed to glide across the ground and cut you up with their kicking. I think expectation, poor development, coaching and a fragile mindset.... which may have been a symptom of the other stuff probably cost him becoming a very high level player. I hope that in a defined Ross Lyon role he thrives and the mental stuff sheds off him so that he can play free and relaxed footy.

JB was in career best form in 2020… then his confidence dropped away & he never really got going again (there was a rumour that he found hub life really difficult & that had a clear effect on his footy.)

Since then he hasn’t had a clear run at it.

He’ll definitely be one of the many that will be fascinating to watch under Rossco The Sequel.

The bloke has more untapped talent in his little finger that most of the list.

If I were placing bets I'd say he has a significant anxiety problem where he's learnt to get bye without having to look the dragon in the eye. I fully agree that he's got the talent and ability though.

If I were placing bets I'd say he has a significant anxiety problem where he's learnt to get bye without having to look the dragon in the eye. I fully agree that he's got the talent and ability though.

Anxiety is much easier to control in a controlled environment. Lyon should really define what he needs him to do and that should free up a lot of mental space for him. He needs to be the 5th to 10th best player on a list, he can't carry the extra weight of expectation. His best games are elite but the consistency seems to be based purely on confidence. If he misses his first goal from an easy shot he never recovers.

A good sports psych should be able to sort him out easily but so far that hasn't been the case. He's still young enough to become a super star. He's pretty much been injured since he turned 25 and that should be the most productive and consistent footy a player plays.

Anxiety is much easier to control in a controlled environment. Lyon should really define what he needs him to do and that should free up a lot of mental space for him. He needs to be the 5th to 10th best player on a list, he can't carry the extra weight of expectation. His best games are elite but the consistency seems to be based purely on confidence. If he misses his first goal from an easy shot he never recovers.

A good sports psych should be able to sort him out easily but so far that hasn't been the case. He's still young enough to become a super star. He's pretty much been injured since he turned 25 and that should be the most productive and consistent footy a player plays.
I don't agree a good sports psych should be able to sort him out. If it's an overarching chronic issue then footy will just be an aggravating factor. However, Righo would have been the worst bloke to have when you're trying to sort that out.
Anyway I may be wrong and it's nothing to do with it. I just think the Pou is gonna rocket past a few in the next 12 months and that will be that..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back