List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: will update if ppl happy for this to sticky

Ok starting the hit list of names mentioned in any rumour as linked to us for 2023 trade period.
  • Mac Andrew
  • Hunter Clark
  • Zac Fisher
  • Sam Flanders
  • Mitch Georgiades
  • Liam Henry
  • Dougal Howard
  • Lewis Melican
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Dylan Stephens
  • Adam Tomlinson

Last edited:
He's the natural option and apart from injury one of the few who would come with no other (character) queries.

Any player we could dislodge out of another Victorian club would be setting off alarm bells for mine.

If a player talented enough at 22yo to command a top 10 pick via trade wanted out of their club to move crosstown, I'd want to be doubly, triply sure they don't have other issues in play.

An example would be Bailey Smith. He demands a trade to North Melbourne, I'd be more wary than excited after taking in all the variables of the situation.
1673259664958.jpeg

24. Powelly

Like most of our mid group had a dose of second year blues last year, but what we saw in 21 should get us excited. Great vision & hands to match. A fit Cunners and addition of of Sheils provides experience & hard bodies that should fast track his development. Llike the other mids he will rotate thru the forward line & will need to improve his forward craft to make an impact there. A lot to look forward to.
Forward craft? Dunno if he has the capability to make much of an impact as a forward planted there. Most of his goals to my eyes have come from situations where he's been playing on the ball and has received the ball either on a counter attack or out of a stoppage and then kicked a goal on the run. Do we think his goal sense is good enough to be able to actually develop a forward craft?

Disgusted Cedric The Entertainer GIF by CBS

25. Paul C

I know Judas won the recruit of the year award but really this guy was our best first year player. He isn’t the small forward we were told we had recruited, rather he is a legitimate marking target especially when manned by small defenders. Excellent overhead, a good set shot and good goal sense. We have a few high marking medium forwards but he is at the front of the pack. Cross fingers no second year blues.

That's fair enough. Would have to be a case by case consideration.

As a rule it's a slippery slope when clubs (even successful ones) start flirting too much with trading out of 1st rounds.

Sydney were able to do so knowing they had COLA then academy free hits while Geelong did it while being able to execute some very odd side deals with the franchises to keep themselves in the game.

Geelong only did that this year. They have basically ignored the draft for 15 years, especially the top end. I agree with you as a whole, but Geelong are the outlier.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Geelong only did that this year. They have basically ignored the draft for 15 years, especially the top end. I agree with you as a whole, but Geelong are the outlier.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nah they did a dodgy with GC during draft trading a few years ago and got a King's ransom for Tim Kelly and are almost always able to offset their trade losses.

Nah they did a dodgy with GC during draft trading a few years ago and got a King's ransom for Tim Kelly and are almost always able to offset their trade losses.

1. Smith 34 yrs old
  2. Danger 32
  3. Duncan 31.7
  4. Selwood 34
  5. Blicavs 32
  6. Tuohy 32
  7. Cameron 30
  8. Stanley 32
  9. Stewart 30
  10. Rohan 31.7
  11. Hawkins 34.5

The highlighted are the top 7 possession winners on GF day. Now they achieved this while we've fiddled 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2022 flags. Have played finals every year since 2015. Have finished top 4 every year bar 2018. Have done extremely well, clever recruiting and list management.

I'm not suggesting they're in a spot of bother, although a good chance none of the 11 named will be playing in season 2025. Definitely not 26.

Half the side, not sure they have that class to cover that or can bring it in. Once a club hits a rebuild players aren't as interested in joining them. We've seen that first hand.

Just as when we were flying players found us an attractive proposition. Is all about timing and we're sitting well back on the rail and cruising.

1. Smith 34 yrs old
  2. Danger 32
  3. Duncan 31.7
  4. Selwood 34
  5. Blicavs 32
  6. Tuohy 32
  7. Cameron 30
  8. Stanley 32
  9. Stewart 30
  10. Rohan 31.7
  11. Hawkins 34.5

The highlighted are the top 7 possession winners on GF day. Now they achieved this while we've fiddled 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2022 flags. Have played finals every year since 2015. Have finished top 4 every year bar 2018. Have done extremely well, clever recruiting and list management.

I'm not suggesting they're in a spot of bother, although a good chance none of the 11 named will be playing in season 2025. Definitely not 26.

Half the side, not sure they have that class to cover that or can bring it in. Once a club hits a rebuild players aren't as interested in joining them. We've seen that first hand.

Just as when we were flying players found us an attractive proposition. Is all about timing and we're sitting well back on the rail and cruising.

Jokes aside, my assumption is (as oft discussed here) they are cooking the books big-time and so can get keep bringing in quality FAs while bringing in youth.

They also have a great eye for quality in the 2nd+ rounds so are able to build up that way.

1. Smith 34 yrs old - FA
  2. Danger 32 - FA
  3. Duncan 31.7 - 2nd round pick
  4. Selwood 34 - 1st round pick
  5. Blicavs 32 - Cat B :(
  6. Tuohy 32 - trade?
  7. Cameron 30 - FA (forced to trade)
  8. Stanley 32 - trade
  9. Stewart 30 - Value pick
  10. Rohan 31.7 - FA
  11. Hawkins 34.5 - Father-Son
They're experts at building a side through multiple channels. They don't have time it because they've kept themselves in contention for 15 years straight.

Addendum: And in 2022 they win a flag yet still walk away with a top 10 pick + 2x former 1st round kids + 1x former 2nd round kid. Their 2023 picks are also completely intact.

Jokes aside, my assumption is (as oft discussed here) they are cooking the books big-time and so can get keep bringing in quality FAs while bringing in youth.

They also have a great eye for quality in the 2nd+ rounds so are able to build up that way.

1. Smith 34 yrs old - FA
  2. Danger 32 - FA
  6. Tuohy 32 - trade?
  8. Stanley 32 - trade
  10. Rohan 31.7 - FA
They're experts at building a side through multiple channels. They don't have time it because they've kept themselves in contention for 15 years straight.

Addendum: And in 2022 they win a flag yet still walk away with a top 10 pick + 2x former 1st round kids + 1x former 2nd round kid. Their 2023 picks are also completely intact.

I agree they have done a great job and beach lifestyle would be very attractive to footballers when adding in being part of a successful club.. I am confident we will attract FA's within 18 months if not sooner.
They are the key to being successful for obvious reasons.

I have said it a bit lately I'm over having 18 footballers with 0-24 games. And that isn't counting the 6/7 I don't rate as being list worthy. So that knocks out around 53.33% of our list as currently not ready or good enough.
Then you add in those 25-57ish game players= another 6. Those six will be no concern with another season under their respective belts.
Totals about 31 players that need time or to move on. No wonder al clarko recruited the likes of Logue, Tucker, Howe and Shiels.

Also not overly enthused about bringing in more youth next season, I think if we're smart we can fast track our rise. Get ballsy whether that is trades of players or picks.

as an aside I am very confident North didn't really respect the salary cap much in the 90's. ; (knowing wink)

I agree they have done a great job and beach lifestyle would be very attractive to footballers when adding in being part of a successful club.. I am confident we will attract FA's within 18 months if not sooner.

I have said it a bit lately I'm over having 18 footballers with 0-24 games. And that isn't counting the 6/7 I don't rate as being list worthy. So that knocks out around 53.33% of our list as currently not ready or good enough.
Then you add in those 25-57ish game players= another 6. Those six will be no concern with another season under their respective belts.
Totals about 31 players that need time or to move on. No wonder al clarko recruited the likes of Logue, Tucker, Howe and Shiels.

Also not overly enthused about bringing in more youth next season, I think if we're smart we can fast track our rise. Get ballsy whether that is trades of players or picks.

as an aside I am very confident North didn't really respect the salary cap much in the 90's. ; (knowing wink)

We just need to stay smart. If and when the FA time arrives, we keep one eye on bringing in youth at the same time. As mentioned we ballsed it up royally in 1999 but did it pretty well in 1996 using a wide spread of picks and getting Pike, Pickett and Mooney out of a draft as premiers.

Geelong have got themselves into a position of having a perpetual supply of late 1st rounders/2nd rounders for their fringe players. Even when they blow a pick somebody overpays hoping that player was just a victim of depth. If we can get into that one spot one day and hold there plus attract the FAs you mention, then you can keep take swings over a sustained period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s honestly going to be fascinating who we target, we’ve certainly got a lot of potential on the list, my guess is we will strangely keep the Nobel strategy, we’ll set a game plan and we’ll find out players who can or can’t and cycle thru players until we find the ones that can. So we’ll see some favourites go.

My guess is the key difference is now, we’ve got better communicators teaching the kids and we’ve started off at ground zero.

It’s honestly going to be fascinating who we target, we’ve certainly got a lot of potential on the list, my guess is we will strangely keep the Nobel strategy, we’ll set a game plan and we’ll find out players who can or can’t and cycle thru players until we find the ones that can. So we’ll see some favourites go.

My guess is the key difference is now, we’ve got better communicators teaching the kids and we’ve started off at ground zero.
Noble had a Gameplan?

1. Smith 34 yrs old - FA
  2. Danger 32 - FA
  6. Tuohy 32 - trade?
  8. Stanley 32 - trade
  10. Rohan 31.7 - FA

Yes, they are right up there with Sydney as first class professionals at recruiting and development, no one can dispute that.

However, the luck of getting a dozen AA, 250+ game players in a 7 year period from 1999-2006 (a handful of which were father sons) set them up for 20 years. They are still milking the proverbial tit of GAJ et al.

Having the luck to draft AA players in the 30-60 range if the draft is something the seldom occurs in a team’s rebuild. This occurred multiple times. Not only that, but to have GAJ, Johnson, Selwood, Scarlett, Corey, Enright, Dangerfield, Smith, Duncan etc etc go their entire 300 game careers without injury is being KOTD big time.

Context is important here.

26. TT

Which Tarryn are we going to get:the ball-winning, match changing player of 2021 or the disinterested, apathetic player of 22?This season will define the future direction of his career. Our most naturally gifted player who seems to be training with the defenders in the pre-season a move that may make him accountable but give him the freedom to use his skills. If the move is a success our ball movement will improve dramatically & remove any need to use Aaron Hall to distribute off half back.

27. Miller

Unless you are a VFL aficionado you might not have seen this bloke play given his one game was cut so short. But if he was selected ahead of the impressive Josh Goater he must have something going for him. He seems the prototype of the modern footballer: good size, speed and skills. We have a plethora of running HB types so let’s hope his rehab goes well & he is back on the park competing for a running ball deliverer HB role.

28 Sugar

Some might say he was kissed on the dick by a fairy to still be on the list, albeit as a rookie, but both his delisting & re-rookieing were no surprise. Can play on all three lines & has been a recent member of the leadership group so he can be a mentor to the kids if nothing else. He proves that grit & determination can only take you so far if your skills are not developed as well.The lack of progress of his skills is a club issue as much as his.

29. Willphil

He was the focus of the viterupative journos who wanted a shot at the club ie stupid Roos took him before Wonderboy McDonald. This of course ignores the fact that Will had no footy in 2020. In his 16 games he has shown an ability to find the footy & lower his eyes to deliver it, not a strength of the side. Has leadership written all over him.

Last edited:
Viterupative. Bloody hell that's one to save up for Scrabble night.
Particularly now that they've changed the rules to allow place names.

Player 1: RUPAT It's an island in the Strait of Malacca, and forms part of Bengkalis Regency within Riau Province of Indonesia

King Corey contemplates his tiles V I T E I V E. Then it comes to him in a moment of inspiration he places VITE before RUPAT and IVE after it. He leans back in his chair smiling arrogantly, the sort of smile that is reserved for Chadstone Food Court.

Player 1: VITERUPATIVE is that even a word? What's it mean?

King Corey: Yeah, I read it on Big Footy

Player 1: Use it in a sentence then.

King Corey: Will Phil was the focus of the viterupative journos who wanted a shot at the club as the stupid Roos took him before wonderboy McDonald.

Player 1: Okay, I'll allow it, if it was on Big Footy it must be true.

King Corey adds up the tiles: That's 20, on a triple word score so 60 points (edit) and 50 points for using all 7 tiles equals 110 points.

Player 1: F*ck off.

King Corey: You seem very… what's the word… viterupative.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back