List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: will update if ppl happy for this to sticky

Ok starting the hit list of names mentioned in any rumour as linked to us for 2023 trade period.
  • Mac Andrew
  • Hunter Clark
  • Zac Fisher
  • Sam Flanders
  • Mitch Georgiades
  • Liam Henry
  • Dougal Howard
  • Lewis Melican
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Dylan Stephens
  • Adam Tomlinson

Last edited:
We need to bring in at least 2 KPD(curtin/O’Sullivan), 2 KPF(caddy/A.Reid ), 1 ruck(Edwards ), 2 outside runners( mckercher/wilson , 1 small forward(Watson ), 1 small lockdown defender (?), 1 rebounder (hardeman/Roberts )
So many holes

48. Jack Ough has my interest
I swear, the names of kids these days is like as if they were picked by a random name generator like in football manager once you hit 2034 and anyone actually in real life is retired or close to it in the game

We need to bring in at least 2 KPD(curtin/O’Sullivan), 2 KPF(caddy/A.Reid ), 1 ruck(Edwards ), 2 outside runners( mckercher/wilson , 1 small forward(Watson ), 1 small lockdown defender (?), 1 rebounder (hardeman/Roberts )
So many holes
2 KPDs = Curtin & Melican/Tomlinson
2 KPF = Riccardi & AReid
1 ruck = Grundy
2 outside runner = Stephens & Henry
1 small forward = Watson
1 small defender = Fisher
1 rebounder = Zac Williams / Fisher

😁

So many holes
So, reckon a few will be trade targets, would be shocked if we weren’t looking at a KPD and a Tall Fwd as a target, linked to Stephens for an outside runner and joining the ruck list
Still have a few late/rookie options that the talented spotters here have identified. Rebound defender should be a cheap trade and get depth next year.
I’d give the lockdown to Archer to start, think that’s sorted but depth there would be something id target next year.
Ruck would be one cheap, one developing and (unfortunately) keeping at least one of Xerri and/or CCJ for at least another year
TLDR:
Trade Cheap: KPF, KPD, Rebound Def, Oustide Run, Ruck
Rookie: KPU, KPD, Ruck
Draft: KPD, KPF, Runner/Rebound, Watson (hopefully)

So many holes
Perhaps not all these holes need to be filled with top end picks, just a thought

I mean, sure I'm being harsh on the country town, no doubt they have a couple of cute venues that stay open until midnight or so. The point I'm making is that going home to mummy is not so appealing when you're getting to really play up for the first time away from home with all the sex you can handle. And Melbourne is a real city and once you've got a taste, you don't go back. Only the redneck hicks and mumma's boys succumb to the go-home factor.

Yeah like Jez Cameron the redneck hick

I’m convinced, we have all the young stars we need, trade out pick 2 for a good top-up player like Cam Guthrie and get Tomlinson in and aim for a flag next year. Tom Powell will captain
Reckon him and Zurhaar could be used to get more picks

Every ******* year we change some of the rules. God forbid the sport go an entire decade without something changing.
Because if you move things quickly only the ones with money will be able to ensure they keep pace with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve got this crazy idea and I think it might work.
Have a salary cap and nothing gets paid outside of it.
Then have a reverse ladder order draft and everybody that nominates is free to every club.
It's an ok idea I guess, but how about this for an idea...

Start with that, but then add a few exceptions, to begin with just the ability for F/S to play at their family club, then bring in some academies for the northern clubs, then bring it in for everyone, then take it away from most clubs, then give draft assistance to the teams you want to succeed. Then turn a blind eye to the fact there are now more Hungry Jacks in Perth and Cotton Ons in Geelong than there are people in each city and Visy has more silent paid board members than regular employees. And finally, when a club has the audacity to say, hey, can we maybe have access to our NGA player, the same way we would have two years ago, say absolutely not, how dare you even suggest that, this competition has integrity that must be maintained!!! (and then go and make sure you order enough GC jumpers for the top 10 draft photo!)

Last edited:
This is the exact logic that has us in a hole now.

Keep taking midfielders and ignore the talls = epically s**t backline and one man band forward line.

Just take Curtin and start developing some talls.

People keep banging on about Reid’s immediate impact. We don’t need immediate impact we need impact when we are realistically challenging.

We shouldn’t be giving up anything. Take what’s left over of Reid or Curtain and move on.

Absolute fantasy talk of us not needing to draft talls because we can magically pluck them from the state leagues. Short sightedness at its best.
This is true, but in the same breath we have holes literally every where on the list, not just in the tall department. Reid & Watson will be earmarked (at least early days) to play half back and in the forward pocket, another two big holes in our list. Can obviously still look to draft talls later on in the draft, but in my opinion Reid is head and shoulders above Curtin so would be hard pass up. There's always going to be the go home factor too, just like Luke Jackson last year.

This is true, but in the same breath we have holes literally every where on the list, not just in the tall department. Reid & Watson will be earmarked (at least early days) to play half back and in the forward pocket, another two big holes in our list. Can obviously still look to draft talls later on in the draft, but in my opinion Reid is head and shoulders above Curtin so would be hard pass up. There's always going to be the go home factor too, just like Luke Jackson last year.
But is Pick 2 plus the Port Pick better than Curtin and the Port pick.

That is the question that we are really asking.

I would argue that having no quality talls on your list is a bigger issue than a flanker and forward pocket. It’s the same logic that has our list in a shambles at the moment.

Jackson leaving looks like it will nett Melbourne a kings ransom, I am pretty sure they aren’t losing too much sleep over him leaving given what they got.

Perhaps not all these holes need to be filled with top end picks, just a thought
Yes I know but just giving examples of draftees for those roles as we won’t know what picks we’ve at the draft

Probably 4-5 draftees in top 30 would be the aim

Last edited:
But is Pick 2 plus the Port Pick better than Curtin and the Port pick.

That is the question that we are really asking.

I would argue that having no quality talls on your list is a bigger issue than a flanker and forward pocket. It’s the same logic that has our list in a shambles at the moment.

Jackson leaving looks like it will nett Melbourne a kings ransom, I am pretty sure they aren’t losing too much sleep over him leaving given what they got.
I guess it depends on where the Port Pick lands, if they make the grand final its an easy decision. Pick 17 will turn into 20 odd after academy picks which is fairly speculative. Will be a hard decision if it lands anywhere between 12-16.

I do agree about having quality talls on the list but there are so many other reasons why our list in shambles, not just because we didn't draft logan mcdonald three years ago.

And melbourne would be at peace with that only because they have a great list to begin with. Imagine when we're trying to push for finals in a few years and Curtin requests a trade home, would set us back significantly.

Hardwick apparently likely to be announced as GC coach next week, with Dusty considering going up there too. Dusty's contract next year is $1.4m according to MMM. Hopefully Brady's in GC's ear about a salary dump

Though I'm sure the AFL will give Martin an ambassador role or some s**t instead...

This is the exact logic that has us in a hole now.

Keep taking midfielders and ignore the talls = epically s**t backline and one man band forward line.

Just take Curtin and start developing some talls.

People keep banging on about Reid’s immediate impact. We don’t need immediate impact we need impact when we are realistically challenging.

We shouldn’t be giving up anything. Take what’s left over of Reid or Curtain and move on.

Absolute fantasy talk of us not needing to draft talls because we can magically pluck them from the state leagues. Short sightedness at its best.

Plus the little fact of us being so s**t that we have to fight tooth and nail for every possible trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back