Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon V GWS should be 40+.

Going as well as the Blues and have the same constraints at the concrete graveyard.

Real test to where the dons are and 40K+ in the house going off like they can could be the difference.

Personally, I’d like to see Tigers and Dogs scrape 50K, though unlikely. The neutral more likely to go to Dons, GWS.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Going as well as the Blues and have the same constraints at the concrete graveyard.

Real test to where the dons are and 40K+ in the house going off like they can could be the difference.

Personally, I’d like to see Tigers and Dogs scrape 50K, though unlikely. The neutral more likely to go to Dons, GWS.

I would think Tiger and Dogs scraping 40K is more likely. Dogs won't be bringing many at all.

Have a watch of the 2021 Dreamtime game in Perth.
I reckon that at least 30k of the 55k were wearing red and black and there would have been 15k neutrals and maybe 10k Richmond at that game.

My old man has always said that Essendon have the biggest latent support around the country. We just haven’t seen it because they have been crap for so long now.
Bigger than Collingwood……..statistically Collingwood would have Essendon covered.

Bigger than Collingwood……..statistically Collingwood would have Essendon covered.
Thats ok, Collingwood have also had multiple periods of success since 2000 - coincidentally the same time period that crowds have blown up and membership numbers have exploded.

You have no actual idea of what Essendon or Carlton could be if they won a premiership. Are they bigger than Collingwood? Probably not, but you don't actually know that yet.

1715062541394.png

ROUND 8 BECOMES THE THIRD HIGHEST ATTENDED ROUND ALL-TIME
403,452 FANS

The AFL is pleased to announce Round 8 was the third highest attended round on record just one week after Round 7 became the second highest attended round on record.

This marks the third time this season crowds have surpassed 400,000 attendees (Round 1, Round 7 and Round 8), with 2.861 million fans attending the 2024 Toyota AFL Premiership season so far.

AFL CEO Andrew Dillon said to see back-to-back record-breaking crowds has been a tremendous effort from everyone across the competition.

“Round 8 was simply incredible on all levels. It started strong with the Showdown in Adelaide followed by traditional rivals Carlton and Collingwood in front of 88,000 at the MCG on Friday night. That momentum followed us into the weekend, with the Swans hosting their highest home crowd of the year and the round finishing with the biggest ever Q-Clash in Queensland.” Mr Dillon said.

“I want to thank our fans for coming out in such huge numbers across both Round 7 and 8. To go back-to-back with record breaking numbers is a credit to just how great the footy has been,

“Seeing our crowds continue to reach these records is a testament to our venues, clubs, partners and staff. On behalf of the AFL, I want to thank you all and look forward to continuing seeing you at the footy across the rest of the season.”

Key Round call outs:

ADEL v PORT
– Third-highest SA Showdown crowd all-time, and highest ADEL home crowd vs PORT ever.

CARL v COLL – Best all-time attendance for fixture, surpassing Rd23, 2022 (88,287). CARL second highest AFL H&A crowd ever.

SYD v GWS – SYD highest home crowd of 2024, and largest ever Sydney Derby attendance surpassing Rd1,2012 (38,203).

STK v NM – Crowd was +14.5% on average of last five STK v NM at Marvel Stadium venue (23,598). STKL average MRVL home crowd in 2024 is 26,684.

MELB v GEEL – Fifth highest MELB home crowd vs GEEL all-time, and best since Rd1,2018 (54,112)

WCE v ESS – Second highest WCE home attendance vs ESS, and best since Rd14, 2019 (52,810)

BRIS v SUNS – Record Q-Clash attendance, surpassing Rd15, 2023 (27,170). +30% on last Q-Clash at venue in Rd10, 2023 (Crowd: 23,286)

Top 10 attended rounds all-time
1. Rd 1 2024 – 413,405
2. Rd 7 2024 - 408,433
3. Rd 8 2024 - 403,452
4. Rd 1 2017 - 400,401
5. Rd 3 2018 - 393,537
6. Rd 1 2023 – 392,248
7. Rd 5 2017 - 391,980
8. Rd 5 2018 - 381,880
9. Rd 1 2019 – 380,789
10. Rd 1 2018 – 375,564

I have a suspicion Bombers game will basically sellout. Issue is reserved seat no shows. Essendon historically has the most difficulty maximising attendances of ‘sellouts’ at Marvel. A sold out game last year against Crows saw 39,300 only able to get in. Even its round 3 game against Saints only drew 44,000 despite being sold out two days before matchday.

Point being, unconstrained demand I believe is potentially upwards of 45K range, though Bomber fans aren’t ’lid off’ yet.. However I suspect even if it’s sold out, the actual attendance could still only be around 38-40K.

That said, Bombers / Giants ticket sales looking pretty strong based on my untrained eye.

I suspect at this stage Tigers / Bulldogs will be in that 47-50k range.

I'd be very surprised if the Coll/WC game gets over 35k and it might struggle to get 30k.

I don't agree with it, but a large % of our fan base need extra incentive to go to Docklands, and not only are we lacking that this week we've got the massive disincentive of Mother's Day.

Collingwood's crowds last year at Docklands during a record breaking year:

39k v North (Sidebottom's 300th)
43k v Bulldogs (away game)
38k v Brisbane (very important game)

In addition we had Mother's Day last year as well - 38k v GWS when every other game we had at the MCG exceeded 60k.

Hope I'm wrong but I really feel like this crowd is going to be awful by our standards.

I'd be very surprised if the Coll/WC game gets over 35k and it might struggle to get 30k.

I don't agree with it, but a large % of our fan base need extra incentive to go to Docklands, and not only are we lacking that this week we've got the massive disincentive of Mother's Day.

Collingwood's crowds last year at Docklands during a record breaking year:

39k v North (Sidebottom's 300th)
43k v Bulldogs (away game)
38k v Brisbane (very important game)

In addition we had Mother's Day last year as well - 38k v GWS when every other game we had at the MCG exceeded 60k.

Hope I'm wrong but I really feel like this crowd is going to be awful by our standards.
I think these clubs are at fault tbh. They could’ve taken a positive attitude to creating something at the venue for their fans if they wished. Carlton and Essendon supporters much prefer MCG (Essendon member survey says 80% prefer MCG), but they’ve over time created an environment that at least means there’s atmosphere. Even if they can’t find a way to effective fill the capacity. Granted, Marvel is these clubs primary venue so it’s a bit different.

That said, I doubt the Pies / Eagles would draw 40,000+ at the MCG this Sunday. Eagles are struggling and won’t bring their usual cohort. Last year, a decent fixture this day with Giants drew ~37,000 so I reckon it would max out at no more than 40,000 Sunday.

Given it’s at Marvel, you’d still hope for 33-35K. That would be better than Richmond would draw, this club to its detriment overtly shunned the place..

Collingwood did sell out Marvel for that Kangaroos fixture last year (39,000) as well as that Dogs one. Crowds short due to reserved seat no shows….. Welcome to Essendon and Carlton’s problem!

I think these clubs are at fault tbh. They could’ve taken a positive attitude to creating something at the venue for their fans if they wished.

I say it every year - the club needs to do something for the fans for our 2 home games at Docklands. Even if it's just some giveaway like every member who attends goes in the draw for Emirates tickets, or just some extra promotion to entice people back. But every year nothing happens.

We haven't been guilty like Richmond of actively talking down playing there, but we do nothing to encourage fans to attend.

I say it every year - the club needs to do something for the fans for our 2 home games at Docklands. Even if it's just some giveaway like every member who attends goes in the draw for Emirates tickets, or just some extra promotion to entice people back. But every year nothing happens.

We haven't been guilty like Richmond of actively talking down playing there, but we do nothing to encourage fans to attend.
at the very least offer 5 or 10 members their next season cost of membership refunded

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dreamtime Game (Tigers Vs Bombers) now selling restricted view seating. Close to sold out.

Far out - didn’t expect this.

Richmond 3121 (can sit anywhere N7-13 usually) members also required to log on a purchase a “free ticket” to ensure their entry.

Only presume this must be to ensure full use of bay and ability to sell more to public.

I think these clubs are at fault tbh. They could’ve taken a positive attitude to creating something at the venue for their fans if they wished. Carlton and Essendon supporters much prefer MCG (Essendon member survey says 80% prefer MCG), but they’ve over time created an environment that at least means there’s atmosphere. Even if they can’t find a way to effective fill the capacity. Granted, Marvel is these clubs primary venue so it’s a bit different.

That said, I doubt the Pies / Eagles would draw 40,000+ at the MCG this Sunday. Eagles are struggling and won’t bring their usual cohort. Last year, a decent fixture this day with Giants drew ~37,000 so I reckon it would max out at no more than 40,000 Sunday.

Given it’s at Marvel, you’d still hope for 33-35K. That would be better than Richmond would draw, this club to its detriment overtly shunned the place..

Collingwood did sell out Marvel for that Kangaroos fixture last year (39,000) as well as that Dogs one. Crowds short due to reserved seat no shows….. Welcome to Essendon and Carlton’s problem!

I agree with pretty much everything you say and try not to be a complete Richmond nuffie like most in here, but I don’t understand why Richmond not wanting to play a home game at not their home is some crazy idea.

Don’t get me wrong, Richmond has made some atrocious decisions through many decades, but one thing they nailed was staying in Richmond and the cultural identity that walking up past our home every single home match go the G means.

It’s a cultural significance I think is underplayed and forgotten as most other clubs choose to pack up and move to space in the suburbs. Richmond is home. Swan St is home. Punt Road is home. The G is home.

I have no data to prove this, but I think it may affect Richmond crowds for this reason more than any other.

There is a reason the newer flashier Ponsford stand sits much emptier than the older Punt Road end in our games. It’s our place - more specifically, it’s our end.

I’m sure the marketing team had an absolute fit when Dimma said what he said, but he nailed the sentiment of the 30,000 fans that rock up every single week. To our detriment or not.

Thus the fixture is not fair, nor will it ever be, and live with it from the comfort of the couch that week we must.

Far out - didn’t expect this.

Richmond 3121 (can sit anywhere N7-13 usually) members also required to log on a purchase a “free ticket” to ensure their entry.

Only presume this must be to ensure full use of bay and ability to sell more to public.
It’s going to sell out because heaps of fans purchased seats well in advance before they realised how poor the Tigers would become. The benefits of games being sold in advance!

I agree with pretty much everything you say and try not to be a complete Richmond nuffie like most in here, but I don’t understand why Richmond not wanting to play a home game at not their home is some crazy idea.

Don’t get me wrong, Richmond has made some atrocious decisions through many decades, but one thing they nailed was staying in Richmond and the cultural identity that walking up past our home every single home match go the G means.

It’s a cultural significance I think is underplayed and forgotten as most other clubs choose to pack up and move to space in the suburbs. Richmond is home. Swan St is home. Punt Road is home. The G is home.

I have no data to prove this, but I think it may affect Richmond crowds for this reason more than any other.

There is a reason the newer flashier Ponsford stand sits much emptier than the older Punt Road end in our games. It’s our place - more specifically, it’s our end.

I’m sure the marketing team had an absolute fit when Dimma said what he said, but he nailed the sentiment of the 30,000 fans that rock up every single week. To our detriment or not.

Thus the fixture is not fair, nor will it ever be, and live with it from the comfort of the couch that week we must.

I get that.

Issue is, Richmond, like Collingwood will certainly continue to play home games at Marvel as long as the AFL own the venue. That’s not changing. So, given this, it’s up to the Tigers to say, righto let’s get on with it and make it a Tiger ‘den’ or fortress, or whatever.

About 20 years ago in a game celebrating Ben Cousins return they got 38,000 into the joint against Port Adelaide and it was a great apmosphere. That opportunity and moment passed and since then they’ve openly trashed the joint.

And when the Tigers are now going cap in hand to members to raise $100M (will end up probably $120M+), isn’t every opportunity to find an extra $100K in match takings worth it? In hindsight you’d probably say yes…

I get that.

Issue is, Richmond, like Collingwood will certainly continue to play home games at Marvel as long as the AFL own the venue. That’s not changing. So, given this, it’s up to the Tigers to say, righto let’s get on with it and make it a Tiger ‘den’ or fortress, or whatever.

About 20 years ago in a game celebrating Ben Cousins return they got 38,000 into the joint against Port Adelaide and it was a great apmosphere. That opportunity and moment passed and since then they’ve openly trashed the joint.

And when the Tigers are now going cap in hand to members to raise $100M (will end up probably $120M+), isn’t every opportunity to find an extra $100K in match takings worth it? In hindsight you’d probably say yes…

Yes don’t get me started on them asking for money for the redevelopment.. they get more than enough out of me already.

If they think it is that important the money is in the bank.. but that’s a discussion for another thread

Yes don’t get me started on them asking for money for the redevelopment.. they get more than enough out of me already.

If they think it is that important the money is in the bank.. but that’s a discussion for another thread

Yep the Punt Road Oval redevelopment should have been started 5 years back when it was first announced and it would have cost tens of millions less than it is now estimated to cost and the longer the delay in starting construction the more expensive it will get.
I always wondered why it was taking so long to demolish the old Jack Dyer stand and now we know why Richmond don't have the funds to complete this project without a lot of donations from supporters.

This just like some of the Victorian Govt projects this project could end up on the back burner for a long time.

I agree. Unfortunately for the Tigers they e waited until the post covid era to build their dream home. In doing so, costing themselves an extra $50M! If only the Club did this a decade ago 🤔

I wonder how many of those Tiger fans wont bother tp turn up to dreamtime?
It will be sold out. The AFL will release some seat returns leading up to matchday but it’s essentially now sold out… As you say though, it may only draw 75,000 as MCC members won’t fill their reserve, AFL members likewise and disgruntled Tigers potentially.

It will be sold out. The AFL will release some seat returns leading up to matchday but it’s essentially now sold out… As you say though, it may only draw 75,000 as MCC members won’t fill their reserve, AFL members likewise and disgruntled Tigers potentially.

It's selling very well in the AFL Members. Always the possibility of some not showing up but it should be pretty full on the night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back